“ Derby County’s Tactical Edge: Innovation In Corners & Throw Ins – Set Piece Analysis”

Purely based on tactical understanding, Paul Warne really is outstanding and part of shows up in our set-pieces where it becomes a battle of the Xs and Os. He knows how to manipulate and win advantages in games, he can construct and organise a defensive unit - probably better than any manager we have had in my lifetime. 

The ideology that possession based, recycling the ball backwards and sideways, is hard to coach is ironic considering that we're part of a generation that have been taught nothing different since they were still in nappies. 

I always thought Warne would benefit from being in the Championship with Derby, where the emphasis on being a dominant side isn't a requirement, but his ability to out-think these career coaches who want to ensure above else that they're considered a 'possession-based' coach because they know that's what chairmen from bigger clubs have been told to look at. 

Warne put Liam Manning, a manager who can regurgitate the coaching manual as provided by UEFA, in a spin cycle. I guarantee it won't be the first time it happens this season either. 

I'm not surprised that the one game we truly came unstuck against was managed by John Eustace, another who I feel understands the game tactically and did us with the ability he had on the bench. 

Hammy comes up with a lot of the set-piece routines and I’m told the players have a lot of fun enacting and defending them on the training ground 👏🐏

long May it continue

if other coaches in this league aren’t up to defeating the tricks we’re employing then a good deal of points can be delivered by these ploys