Cardiff (H) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

I just hope fans don't come into this game suddenly expectant after a good performance last time out. We still that siege mentality, the atmosphere we've been creating at home just the same. We can't stand there, arms folded, waiting to be impressed or the level will slip. They're beatable, but they have had hard games to start - playing early pacesetters Sunderland, Burnley who are strong and even having a South Wales Derby v Swansea. So, they may not be down there forever. We can't suddenly think we've got this Championship malarkey cracked. Need to be on it.

Reports also say that they had some good periods in those games, looking dangerous. Not a foregone conclusion but we have 6 former Cardiff players, 5 of whom are likely to be in the squad and they may well think they have a point to prove...

Me, my wife and our 2 lads were over for the 2022 game. About halfway into the first half, I said that I was surprised the South Stand hadn't given a rendition of "we shag more sheep than you". 30 seconds later, they obliged :)

25 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Does anyone know what the stats look like for us coming out of an international break under Warne? 

My addled memory has us struggling and failing to capitalise from the break and extra time on the training ground but could be wrong. 

Let's hope the lads are up for it and kick on from the Brizzle performance.

Last year I remember we didn’t actually have that much games cancelled for it.

We did lose 1-0 to Shrewsbury after the October internationals. 

We also drew to Portsmouth after the September internationals last season in a 1-1 at home. 

23 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

It’s not the same as they have a full back behind them to defend the wide areas. In a 3-4-3 system there is no fullback so they’ll naturally (aswell as being told to) drop deeper and defend more. 

In a 3-4-3 the wing backs or “wide midfielders” will mark the oppositions wingers with the two wide men in the front three tracking the oppositions fullbacks. In a 4-4-2 the fullbacks will mark the oppositions wingers with the “wide midfielders” looking after the opposing fullbacks. They are totally different roles and positions. 

I still think its different to 'wing backs' in a 3-5-2. I wouldn't want Kenzo in one of those roles thats for sure, firstly he wouldn't be very good at it and secondly it would be a waste of his abilities. Similarly I wouldn't see it as ideal for Osborn to play as wing back in that system either. However I can see both of them being excellent as the wide players in a 3-4-3   

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Reports also say that they had some good periods in those games, looking dangerous. Not a foregone conclusion but we have 6 former Cardiff players, 5 of whom are likely to be in the squad and they may well think they have a point to prove...

Me, my wife and our 2 lads were over for the 2022 game. About halfway into the first half, I said that I was surprised the South Stand hadn't given a rendition of "we shag more sheep than you". 30 seconds later, they obliged 🙂

Who are the 6 ex bluebirds out of interest? 

5 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

Does anyone know what the stats look like for us coming out of an international break under Warne? 

My addled memory has us struggling and failing to capitalise from the break and extra time on the training ground but could be wrong. 

Let's hope the lads are up for it and kick on from the Brizzle performance.

I've probably imagined it, but my sense is that in recent years, we've always come back looking half asleep! Not sure whether the facts would support that notion though. I'm still hopeful in any case. I really don't think there are any easy games, but they're under a little pressure already this season and we should have bags of scope for improvement with the lads having played so few games together. They would have the stronger 11 on known evidence, but I think Kenzo, Yates, Jackson and Ozoh bring plenty of dynamism and we're beginning to look solid defensively too. Ebou just does Ebou stuff and I'd imagine he won't be nice to play against tomorrow. Honestly, I probably will be disappointed in we don't get something from the game, but I'm really hoping we at least show enough again to suggest we can be competitive over the balance of the season.

2 hours ago, jono said:

Of those, someone on their forum reckons only NML is worthy of them now and he’d only make the bench. Hope Ebou particularly shows them what’s what 😊

I can only assume that particular Cardiff fan hasn't actually watched Cardiff play so far this season?

4 hours ago, Foreveram said:

Just 1,500 tickets available for home fans.

Only 91 single seats left in the South half of the stadium.

There is talk on the Cardiff forum of them possibly bringing 2,000 so could just about make 30,000.

Will the Lower Guthrie be full ? 

Is it just me ? Maybe it’s the international break, or the good performance against Bristol, not sure, but I haven’t been as eager for a game in a long while. Think if we are on song it’s comfortably winnable. I think it’s that that’s  fuelling the enthusiasm. The nagging doubt about one of those “sleepy” performance remains; but 3 points tomorrow would surely lay down a big marker as in  “we don’t want to go to Derby, they aren’t also rans or relegation fodder” Big game ! As much as the points it’s about the chance to cement self belief in what is in essence a new team. 

Pretty please footballing gods ! COYR

2 hours ago, jono said:

Is it just me ? Maybe it’s the international break, or the good performance against Bristol, not sure, but I haven’t been as eager for a game in a long while. Think if we are on song it’s comfortably winnable. I think it’s that that’s  fuelling the enthusiasm. The nagging doubt about one of those “sleepy” performance remains; but 3 points tomorrow would surely lay down a big marker as in  “we don’t want to go to Derby, they aren’t also rans or relegation fodder” Big game ! As much as the points it’s about the chance to cement self belief in what is in essence a new team. 

Pretty please footballing gods ! COYR

Three points tommorow are essential with some tricky away games coming up . 20% possession will do if we can get a win . Cardiff are relegation fodder and we can’t let them get anything at P P . 

10 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Three points tommorow are essential with some tricky away games coming up . 20% possession will do if we can get a win . Cardiff are relegation fodder and we can’t let them get anything at P P . 

They are not cannon fodder. They have had tough matches. It will be a tricky game which will test us.

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

They are not cannon fodder. They have had tough matches. It will be a tricky game which will test us.

Spot on. But if we are awake we can do it. That’s the thing for me and my only reservation with PW.  If we can get over this will they won’t they thing, we will thrive.  (And Saturdays will be a lot more fun !)