Vs Middlesbrough (H) Match Thread

DCFC1388

22 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

With all this talk of us not creating any chances - it  might be worth checking the match stats to see that in fact we did have a number of shots after all. A surprising amount, given the lopsided talent pools involved.

In 10 years time the records will show Derby County 1 Middlesbrough 1, just as they do now. End of story.

Damn that Bobby Madley and VAR.

Edited by Foreveram

23 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

With all this talk of us not creating any chances - it  might be worth checking the match stats to see that in fact we did have a number of shots after all. A surprising amount, given the lopsided talent pools involved.

In 10 years time the records will show Derby County 1 Middlesbrough 1, just as they do now. End of story.

You are DCFC Kicks/ Chris_Martin and I claim my £10. 😀

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What if those set pieces yield results? We have become quite the threat from set pieces under the current setup, almost as if it’s something being worked on in training and coached regularly. If it is something being worked on in training, to the point we’ve improved as a team and it gives us an advantage in some games over some teams, isn’t that by definition “good coaching”?

Being defensively resolute and taking advantage of set pieces might not be very fashionable, it’s a bit old school in a way, but it is a tactic that can be deployed and has been by many teams throughout footballing history. Not the shiny modern footballing tactics you’re clearly yearning for, but tactics and coaching nonetheless.

but surely that should be worked on anyway secondary to the actual game

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Doing the completely normal unglamorous well and as a team , they’re player saw no forward ball to keep the pressure on and got caught passing backwards and to top it all we did it for 3/4 of the 111 minutes of the game , I enjoyed the game , the team fight and spirit , was on my feet applauding those derby hero’s for an unpredicted win , applauded them off the pitch as did those around me in the east stand ,

what can I tell you , derby till I die 🤷🏻‍♂️

ok thats all great, but it doesnt answer the point 

1 hour ago, Archied said:

I would say they got what they deserved and we got what we deserved from the situation, end of , we won, get over it, it’s a long season and you will have better days

yep, thought so 😅

i rest my case.

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It should, but it still qualifies as good coaching, taking an element of the game and improving it with the resources available. 

you class that as good even if it appears the rest of the game appears to have been largely neglected coaching wise ?

10 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

yep, thought so 😅

i rest my case.

😂😂😂😂😂, your not really getting this are you , I’m a derby fan , still really enjoying the feeling of that win on Saturday and looking forward to the next game , no amount of goading or putting down of derby is going to have any impact on that , jeez I don’t even know if you are a derby fan nor care , your just an anonymous poster on the internet

will let you into a secret , we may get tubbed away at Watford and I will still be looking forward to the next derby game just like I have for the last 50 odd years , im happy for you to keep posting this stuff and sometimes I will reply , sometimes I won’t , it makes me chuckle , simple as that 😂

Edited by Archied

28 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

you class that as good even if it appears the rest of the game appears to have been largely neglected coaching wise ?

Yes, I do think it’s good coaching on that specific element of the game. You see, I’m able to recognise there are some good things that Warne and his staff do as well as being aware they’re not perfect and could improve in areas of their role also.

I genuinely don’t know what possessed me to reengage with this thread 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

On 21/08/2024 at 19:07, Crewton said:

Jackson came out at such a pace that Jones was spooked into hurrying his backpass. Jackson was his own assist. It was exactly what pressing is all about, and exactly what counter-attacking is all about. If you want to redefine what counter-attacking is, you're going to have allot of work to do to convince the football analysts, because all of the usual stats sites have classed that as a c/a goal.

Ozoh also had a good go at a solo counter attack but should have looked around him because there was support arriving either side of him.

You need some support around that massive hole you've dug before it collapses under the weight of opinion crowding in on it and crushes you.

A quick google will tell you a counter-attack is "a fast attack that occurs at the moment of transitioning from defence to offense". Being in offense means having the ball. At the most it was a counter-press by a single player. Which was brilliant by Jackson. Your other example is just another solo effort. Neither are down to any sort of sophisticated tactical plan - which is what my original point was. 

On 21/08/2024 at 17:52, Archied said:

Football will never move beyond getting the basics right first and foremost and keeping them right no matter how much or how little you expand on them , bad runs and building platforms will always be met with stripping down to them and getting them right ,

can’t be bothered explaining the Tyson thing , read back a few pages and get the context and what I was replying to,

you reckon he meant the heat was a problem for working on systems or more for working on balls out pre season fitness training , I know which my money is on ,

plans change for many reasons in games ,of course we should have one but they also need to adapt to what happens in games , that is shared responsibility of coach and players on the pitch ,

again here’s the rub

the game Saturday, 90 +10+ 1 = 111 mins ,,,, yes 111 minutes , that’s quite a long time and in that time one team scored and failed to concede a goal the other failed to score and conceded a goal so one of those two successfuly mastered the two vital all important elements in football , they earned and deserved they’re win , perhaps in fairness we could have donated the match ball to boro to take home and stick on they’re mantle piece , they certainly seemed to like having it and doing bugger all with it🤷🏻‍♂️

The basics and platform building should be learnt on the training ground, in preseason or at some point in the last 2 years of Warne coaching them.

I understood your Tyson reference but it assumes getting punched is inevitable. Why not be one step ahead of you're opponent (i.e. with tactics) to avoid getting punched. Didn't Ali say "the hands can't hit what the eyes can't see"?

Warne said after the Stockport game he wouldn't be coming back to Spain as it was to warm to train properly. Wouldn't that just mean systems and fitness? 

If you don't think we were fortunate to win the game then fine. I just disagree. Does it matter? No. All that matters is we won. My opinion is just that we won despite Warnes tactics. 

I will also add that many people on here are saying Boro created nothing yet are also saying Vickers was our MOTM. How does that work? 

42 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

A quick google will tell you a counter-attack is "a fast attack that occurs at the moment of transitioning from defence to offense". Being in offense means having the ball. At the most it was a counter-press by a single player. Which was brilliant by Jackson. Your other example is just another solo effort. Neither are down to any sort of sophisticated tactical plan - which is what my original point was. 

Are you intending keeping this going until we play them again in March?!

11 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

The basics and platform building should be learnt on the training ground, in preseason or at some point in the last 2 years of Warne coaching them.

I understood your Tyson reference but it assumes getting punched is inevitable. Why not be one step ahead of you're opponent (i.e. with tactics) to avoid getting punched. Didn't Ali say "the hands can't hit what the eyes can't see"?

Warne said after the Stockport game he wouldn't be coming back to Spain as it was to warm to train properly. Wouldn't that just mean systems and fitness? 

If you don't think we were fortunate to win the game then fine. I just disagree. Does it matter? No. All that matters is we won. My opinion is just that we won despite Warnes tactics. 

I will also add that many people on here are saying Boro created nothing yet are also saying Vickers was our MOTM. How does that work? 

So there we have it in black and white , we won despite warnes tactics,

Must be old age creeping in but my coaching head looked at the starting line up and thought with the back 4 selected we were setting up to do some attacking as well as some defending. By minute 25 we'd lost Cash, replaced by Bradley, and Wilson, replaced by Nyambe. Both adequate defenders but also both offering less going forward in open play. From that moment on I expected a backs to the wall game with a good defensive shape, lots of hard work and the odd breakout from us. That was exactly what we got. A well organised defence giving it their all.

I've always thought defending was equally as important as attacking. Don't conceded and you won't lose. Over the 63 years since my first Derby game, I've seen a lot of teams park the bus, simply because they weren't, in an expansive, attacking, football sense anything like as good as us. When that plan has worked and they've frustrated us and it's ended up being a 0-0 draw or they've nicked 1 on the break, I've always acknowledged that and shown my appreciation that their well organised defence outdid our attack. Against Boro, the boot was on the other foot. For reasons I, and others, have already covered, Boro are a better attacking force than us at the moment and are where we want to be in 3 years time. We all know why that is and most accept that truth. That doesn't mean we like it but do understand why we are where we are. Most of us expect a bit of a struggle this season unless we get a cracking CF, CM and CH in who can suddenly catapult us into being a top half side. There will be more games this season where we are forced into a rearguard action. The performance against Boro shows we are better prepared for that type of game than we ever, in my lifetime, have been before. I'd much rather we played expansive football but, with our current squad, doing that against Boro would have seen us hammered, IMO.

It appears that some fans simply won't accept the reality of where we are in the rebuild of the club, squad and team. It will be 26/27 or 27/28 before we are where the likes of Boro (oh, how it hurts to write that), Watford and a couple of others are and in with a good shout of promotion. We aren't in the position to buy three £5M players in one summer, probably not even one £5M player. IIRC, Boro had five players of that value in their matchday squad. We aren't at that level and won't be for a couple of years. Simple economics and David Clowes' insistence that the club be sustainable and self sufficient dictate that. If you refuse to accept that then you are going to be upset for the next 3 years.

Up the Rams. Down the WUMs and the deniers of our current policy.

16 hours ago, ossieram said:

After being on this forum for around 11 years and never putting anyone on ignore,  I've now decided that the time has come.

Reading some of the garbage posted on this thread by 3 posters in particular has finally made up my mind.

The DCFC Ricks?