Championship 24/25 rival watch

2 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I think ultimately a fairly large difference is that they know what they have wanted and they have gone out and got them.

They have a clearly defined style of play and formation, and decent cover in most positions, meaning they can integrate new players slowly. They’ve picked up players who will probably (possibly?) be ok for the level, will develop and, if not, will go back down better for the experience.

At the minute I think it’s definitely a better window than ours. That might not be the case by the end of August, and might be shown not to be the right approach by the end of May. I don’t really see any gaping holes in their squad - I’m not a big fan of Harris but he’s a nuisance and I imagine they’re hoping Scarlett will finally click with them. 

The tricky thing is we went into this summer in very different situations. We needed (another) rebuild, borne out of the short term way we recruited in L1 (not saying it was right or wrong, will only know that in May), and they didn’t. 

I think you are better at explaining things than me, thanks 👍

48 minutes ago, Mickleram2024 said:

I’m sorry I have to disagree. I think a lot of their recruitment has been very good and clever, coupled with a forward thinking and structured approach to management and play.

I believe I heard on sky Saturday that their starting lineup had only 2 changes from the playoff final. A settled team that by the looks of it has strengthened with the top players at other clubs.

The starting midfield of Brannagan, Vaulks, Rodrigues and Goodrham is strong at this level in the first place.

Regards to new signings:

Vaulks, voted player of the year at Sheff Wednesday last year - knows the league like the back of his hand.

Peter Kioso - Peterborough captain and highly rated by their fans - only makes the bench

Sibley, supposedly left us for game time… (not so sure on this) only makes their bench.

New left back from AFC Wimbledon - again their most highly regarded player, on their bench.

El Mizounhi, Leyton orients player of the season, only makes their bench.

Jurys out on placheta and the keeper agreed, they do have Matt Ingram as back up, he’s a solid keeper at this level.

Matt Phillips I would have here and same with Ebiowei.

Id also have Mark Harris ahead of any of our strikers.

i don’t know enough about the center backs to comment but they looked fairly solid Saturday, keeping a clean sheet not conceding 4….

Still think we’ll finish similar ish position to them in the league but to say their recruitment has been poor is just untrue, as much as it pains me to say it.

Brentford, Brighton all take the approach of supplementing experience with teams from the leagues below best young players. Look how that’s worked out for them…

I’m keeping the faith that none of the promoted teams go down.

When it comes to the new signings making the bench, I wouldn't read too much into that for now anyway. Des Buckingham obviously thought the best chance of a result on the day wasn't a bunch of new players being thrown in together and played the core of the team that ended last season. It was smart, it worked. 

Oxford will look very different in a month's time, it's difficult to say how well they go. It's a good result, but important not to read too much into it. They have recruited to bring in players they think have talent that they can work with, given they're unlikely to sign anyone with a proven track record it's a smart approach. 

I don't know if it will work, they were miles behind us and Portsmouth last season by almost every metric last season. I would be concerned about the goals. Mark Harris is a player who has managed a career high of 3 goals at this level, Ebiowei has scored one or two career goals. Phillips hasn't been able to get more than 3 at this level since 2019. Scarlett is very unproven too, obviously. 

Ebiowei and Scarlett are two players that interest me, though. They have talent, but lacked production at first-team level. It's why they're at Oxford now and not a more established Championship club. If they can get them to produce, though, they have an opportunity. They have to be inventive with their signings - I credit them with that. 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

When it comes to the new signings making the bench, I wouldn't read too much into that for now anyway. Des Buckingham obviously thought the best chance of a result on the day wasn't a bunch of new players being thrown in together and played the core of the team that ended last season. It was smart, it worked. 

Oxford will look very different in a month's time, it's difficult to say how well they go. It's a good result, but important not to read too much into it. They have recruited to bring in players they think have talent that they can work with, given they're unlikely to sign anyone with a proven track record it's a smart approach. 

I don't know if it will work, they were miles behind us and Portsmouth last season by almost every metric last season. I would be concerned about the goals. Mark Harris is a player who has managed a career high of 3 goals at this level, Ebiowei has scored one or two career goals. Phillips hasn't been able to get more than 3 at this level since 2019. Scarlett is very unproven too, obviously. 

Ebiowei and Scarlett are two players that interest me, though. They have talent, but lacked production at first-team level. It's why they're at Oxford now and not a more established Championship club. If they can get them to produce, though, they have an opportunity. They have to be inventive with their signings - I credit them with that. 

One things for sure, after watching all 3 matches over the weekend, Plymouth looked by far the weakest team, and have the weakest manager at that. That’s one positive to take for the newly promoted sides. 

And yes, appreciate it’s just one game in but they really did look devoid of any ideas and lacking in ‘championship’ players.

17 hours ago, Mickleram2024 said:

One things for sure, after watching all 3 matches over the weekend, Plymouth looked by far the weakest team, and have the weakest manager at that. That’s one positive to take for the newly promoted sides. 

And yes, appreciate it’s just one game in but they really did look devoid of any ideas and lacking in ‘championship’ players.

Plymouth will look even worse in a few weeks when rooneys having to start the under 16s. 

He said after the game ‘if you play like that again you won’t play for me’ and I can’t help but feel that there are a few more of them performances coming from that Plymouth side 😂

He's up against it as really when you look at their squad it's really poor, that line up they put out first day was always going to struggle. Loads of people throthing at the mouth for him to fail, seems a bit harsh really. They never wanted him at Brum and now he's gone to another job where he's immediately up against it. He's made bad job choices since he left us.

On 13/08/2024 at 10:35, tomsdubs said:

Watching Luton last night and their season in the Prem just made me realise under Warne we are like a Luton tribute act. They just have the pace, power, crossing and set piece drills Warne wishes he could afford.

Ooh... Ooh...

How about we call this tribute act:

"Hatters gonna Hat ft DJ BobbleMeister"

🤓

15 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Leeds selling Rutter for 40m 😐

That's an obscene amount for a CF with only 6 Championship goals last season (altough xG says it should have been twice as many). His link up play, dribbling and defensive work is top notch though.

He did cost Leeds £30m 18 months ago though, so he would cost a lot (book value is approximately £22m)

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That's an obcene amount for a CF with only 6 Championship goals last season (altough xG says it should have been twice as many). His link up play, dribbling and defensive work is top notch though.

He did cost Leeds £30m 18 months ago though, so he would cost a lot (book value is approximately £22m)

Really puts it in to perspective what we are up against this season when we are scraping around worrying about spending 500k.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

That £500k could have bought Rutter in 2020 - it's why we need to tap into the foreign market to find these high potential players

Just not the way we do things is it? Wish we did. It'll be budget options on lads that are past their peak I imagine. Zetterstrom is a refreshing change but we've always seemed to be good at picking up goalkeepers.

19 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Really puts it in to perspective what we are up against this season when we are scraping around worrying about spending 500k.

Blackburn have just got almost £10 mill for Szmodics , 29 next month . They got over £20 mill in Jan from Palace . Will the owners let them try and re-invest in another top Champ striker ? It could define their season. 

37 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

Bristol City sell Conway to Middlesbrough for £5m (registered in time to play us), then they immediately announce the signing of Scott Twine for £3.2m plus add ons. This again shows the level of money that transfers are these days. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-rewarded-patience-scott-9489094

They are all spending the extra TV money aren’t they 

Watching Coventry v Oxford. 2-1 at HT.

Coventry’s Haji Wright is causing problems with his pace and power and their new midfielder Jack Rudoni is looking lively too.

Oxford are working hard and competing well, finding occasional joy from long balls in behind, crosses and set pieces.

They have done well to stay in the game and I think that should give teams outside the expected top 6-10 like ourselves some cause for concern.

Edited by Jourdan