Points in August count for the same as points in April

Have woke up dissapointed with last night but fully realising we are still about 4 or 5 signings off from where we need to be and where Warne intends us to be.

But my main gripe and where I am interested to see what other people's views on is that we are woefully underprepared and more undercooked than raw steak and that is because we have struggled to get our targets for decent enough prices but to what exent does a club need to balance cheaper deals with points on the board and a decent start?

For me it is absolutely inexcuseable as a club to have the team looking league 1 level at this stage and as the title alluded to points right now are just as important and after 4 or 5 games if we have just a point on the board and a bad loss against Boro at home to follow last night we would already be playing catchup and psychologically losing games makes it harder to perform in future games as it ups the pressure and the players will get abuse a few games in if we are looking abject.

The way I see it yes it is hard to get all the deals done before the season starts but I would like it if the target was by the 2nd league game of the season so the Boro game we were close to a finished side with just 1 or 2 more needed. As it stands that is unlikely and we have a tough game next week at home and need a result andperfomance to get back on track. Before anyone says the club are trying to be prudent and pay less in a hard market I get that but part of their analysis should be realising that sometimes its better to get targets in sooner or pay a few hundred grand extra here and there when there a points at stake and in our position every point is paramount. 

Momentum is also key in football and I wouldnt be happy if we got battered next weekend and people said we havent bought players in yet as whos fault that then? As you cant win points back you have lost and when you might be down there at the bottom you would happily pay decent money for a extra 4 or 5 points come Spring time and it also makes it harder for incoming players imo coming in closer to deadline into a side that may have already lost a few. I maybe wrong and we beat Boro but last night was worrying and I think things could turn sour quickly with the expectations of our fanbase wrightly or wrongly. I really hope we dont leave things right untill deadline and have an abject start to try and recover as its not easy to start like that looking at the fixtures for where you might some points.

I presume we are still broke and can’t compete on signings with most teams - odd as we get 30000 a week but maybe Ffp 😉 is killing us and we have to find an amazing coaching system and scouting system to ever get us back to the prem 

34 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Have woke up dissapointed with last night but fully realising we are still about 4 or 5 signings off from where we need to be and where Warne intends us to be.

But my main gripe and where I am interested to see what other people's views on is that we are woefully underprepared and more undercooked than raw steak and that is because we have struggled to get our targets for decent enough prices but to what exent does a club need to balance cheaper deals with points on the board and a decent start?

For me it is absolutely inexcuseable as a club to have the team looking league 1 level at this stage and as the title alluded to points right now are just as important and after 4 or 5 games if we have just a point on the board and a bad loss against Boro at home to follow last night we would already be playing catchup and psychologically losing games makes it harder to perform in future games as it ups the pressure and the players will get abuse a few games in if we are looking abject.

The way I see it yes it is hard to get all the deals done before the season starts but I would like it if the target was by the 2nd league game of the season so the Boro game we were close to a finished side with just 1 or 2 more needed. As it stands that is unlikely and we have a tough game next week at home and need a result andperfomance to get back on track. Before anyone says the club are trying to be prudent and pay less in a hard market I get that but part of their analysis should be realising that sometimes its better to get targets in sooner or pay a few hundred grand extra here and there when there a points at stake and in our position every point is paramount. 

Momentum is also key in football and I wouldnt be happy if we got battered next weekend and people said we havent bought players in yet as whos fault that then? As you cant win points back you have lost and when you might be down there at the bottom you would happily pay decent money for a extra 4 or 5 points come Spring time and it also makes it harder for incoming players imo coming in closer to deadline into a side that may have already lost a few. I maybe wrong and we beat Boro but last night was worrying and I think things could turn sour quickly with the expectations of our fanbase wrightly or wrongly. I really hope we dont leave things right untill deadline and have an abject start to try and recover as its not easy to start like that looking at the fixtures for where you might some points.

This seems like a carbon copy rant of another poster recently with a bit more padding in the content but essentially the same theme.

That poster blamed the individuals at the clubs responsible for identifying transfer targets whom were available at a price within our budget but crucially also strengthen our team.

Curious whom you believe is culpable for these failings as you see it as I worry for your mental wellbeing when our transfer dealings are conducted right down to the wire or aren't completed to your personal satisfaction at all. 

17 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This seems like a carbon copy rant of another poster recently with a bit more padding in the content but essentially the same theme.

That poster blamed the individuals at the clubs responsible for identifying transfer targets whom were available at a price within our budget but crucially also strengthen our team.

Curious whom you believe is culpable for these failings as you see it as I worry for your mental wellbeing when our transfer dealings are conducted right down to the wire or aren't completed to your personal satisfaction at all. 

Nothing to do with mental well being haha I am just putting out a valid critique of the club and its not one individual its Warne,Clowes and the whole recruitment side as a collective.

11 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Nothing to do with mental well being haha I am just putting out a valid critique of the club and its not one individual its Warne,Clowes and the whole recruitment side as a collective.

How can it be down to Warne, he generates the list of players he wants and passes it onto the recruitment team/Clowes

You're complaining about us not having done our business earlier enough so that definitely has nothing to do with Warne. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

How can it be down to Warne, he generates the list of players he wants and passes it onto the recruitment team/Clowes

You're complaining about us not having done our business earlier enough so that definitely has nothing to do with Warne. 

I am sure Warne has input and if we dont get our team sorted until late August and we start poorly he has some responsibility. Anyway my point is not blaming an individuals its poor as a club and I dont want to hear Warne say about us not being right yet if we lose badly to Boro.

1 minute ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Anyway my point is not blaming an individuals its poor as a club and I dont want to hear Warne say about us not being right yet if we lose badly to Boro.

But that might be the truth? You've just said that we should have done better so far in getting players in.

Your post just seems odd. Like you complain about one thing but then by the same token Warne can't use it as an excuse if we get turned over by Boro.

It's either valid or not valid.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

But that might be the truth? You've just said that we should have done better so far in getting players in.

Your post just seems odd. Like you complain about one thing but then by the same token Warne can't use it as an excuse if we get turned over by Boro.

It's either valid or not valid.

I mean he cant complain as its obvious and its part of the clubs collective responsibility which he is part of and is a failing . Its like someone saying I was bad at work today as I didnt sleep alot last night as I was drinking.

6 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I mean he cant complain as its obvious and its part of the clubs collective responsibility which he is part of and is a failing . Its like someone saying I was bad at work today as I didnt sleep alot last night as I was drinking.

Seriously this is nonsense and just seems a dig at Warne by proxy. The analogy you use is nonsense too. 

You say he's not culpable for the delay in getting new players in which sits with the recruitment team and DC yet this isn't a valid reason for Warne to give if his team starts the season poorly. 

If Warne had said we'd be ok with the players we have currently then absolutely he deserves flak but he's repeated on numerous occasions the areas we need strengthening in.

One truism for you in return - you can only pee with the d ick you've got.

Edited by Tyler Durden

Just now, Marriot Ram99 said:

My whole point is the season doesnt start on the 31st August. We are playing for points right now. So it’s not good enough to be poorly prepared.

The transfer window has ended 3-4 games after the season has started for years. I highly doubt there’s a manager in the division who wouldn’t want to add any other players to their squad by now.

On top of that, teams will make decisions on players and let them go or loan them out just before the end of the window. The players we could sign at the end of the month may not even be available right now, so it’s next to impossible to be as prepared as we like before the first game.

Unless the transfer window dates change then it’s always going to be like that.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The transfer window has ended 3-4 games after the season has started for years. I highly doubt there’s a manager in the division who wouldn’t want to add any other players to their squad by now.

On top of that, teams will make decisions on players and let them go or loan them out just before the end of the window. The players we could sign at the end of the month may not even be available right now, so it’s next to impossible to be as prepared as we like before the first game.

Unless the transfer window dates change then it’s always going to be like that.

I know its sort of widely accepted in football to do most of the dealings towards the end of the window but I just think in our situation we can ill afford to be so far off the team we intend to build. We will suffer alot more in proportion to other teams for obvious reasons as a newly promoted side tipped to be at the lower end of the league. A good start is important for us imo.

4 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

I know its sort of widely accepted in football to do most of the dealings towards the end of the window but I just think in our situation we can ill afford to be so far off the team we intend to build. We will suffer alot more in proportion to other teams for obvious reasons as a newly promoted side tipped to be at the lower end of the league. A good start is important for us imo.

My point was that players we want to actually improve us might not even be available yet. Warne said we will have PL loans and right now we have 1.

We would have the choice of signing lesser quality players to have them now, or waiting for the better player’s parent club to release them in a couple of games times.

It’s a similar argument when people were saying just move on from Zetterstrom and get someone before the first game. I’d rather have the right players for 42 games than the wrong ones for 46.

Everyone knows we’re more than just 1 or 2 short of what we need, but I’m not going to panic that the squad isn’t capable of staying up until the start of September.

I think what was disappointing on Friday was that it didn't feel like players that were playing were the best they could be rather than we're 2-3 short of being a championship team (which is also true), both are issues but one is totally in our control whilst the other has external factors contributing.

The issue is the season starting before the transfer window closes. Some players don't become available until after the season starts as their own teams are finalising the squad and/or they don't know how much their own team needs them.

Also prices will change the closer to the deadline too

for example will Brown go out on loan again? Maybe Warne wants to see who else he can get in before letting him go   

Edited by littleover ram

On 10/08/2024 at 09:28, Marriot Ram99 said:

For me it is absolutely inexcuseable as a club to have the team looking league 1 level at this stage

You just seem to be taking every opportunity on all threads to have a dig at the club without knowing what restrictions and other issues the club are facing financially.

On 10/08/2024 at 10:41, Tyler Durden said:

Its up to Warne to sell the project and to convince a player to go and play for him.

24 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

You just seem to be taking every opportunity on all threads to have a dig at the club without knowing what restrictions and other issues the club are facing financially.

And you seem to take every opportunity to reply to said people and tell them why they are wrong without ever actually contributing anything of value to the thread.

I'd say you are just as bad, but you are actually worse, at least they are making a point, no matter how much you disagree, their opinion is valued.