Vs Chesterfield (H) Match Thread

17 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

To me all that's amounted to is getting the ball wide and crossing it in. I'm not trying to by argumentative, that's my honest opinion. there's no intricate tactical plays in the final 3rd, it's just long balls over and over again trying to work a cross. He likes forward runners at times but they run forward and have no idea what to do when they're there. It leaves huge spaces in front of our back line. Our pressing is also a mess off the ball.

Intricate tactical plays in the final third are built in possession, they're situational football schemes. 

Getting the ball out wide is not the devil everyone makes it out to be, for one it stretches the defenders and gaps between defenders.

Edited by Ambitious

8 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

Not sure the data from the first two games of the season would back up the long ball comment. Someone better than me will have access to that and happy to be proven wrong.

To be fare Rodders that long ball Tommo got from Brown which culminated in a very long ball into the net shows that PWs long ball game is alive and well 😁

15 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Could be that you are so “anti-Warne” and biased, that you can’t see what is in front of you!

Or that Warnes ground the fanbase down so much that they've lost the perception of what good football actually is.

1 hour ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

100%spot on. I would go for a more solid team too we will make Boro look like Man City otherwise as they are well coached and a good side. 523 would be my pick and play low block and hit on the counter. If we have alot of the ball in their half but do nothing with it and play a back 4 we will be bummed on the counter.

I would go for

Vickers

Wilson Nelson Cashin Forsyth Osbourne

Goudminj Ozoh

Jackson  Collins   NML

Then would instruct wingers to track back annd make a solid bank of 4 when they have it and to attack quickly down the sides on the break. Would almost surrender the centre of the park but be very solid with 5atb and 2 wingers tracking back with Collins holding the ball up for Goudminj just off him feeding the ball outwide to our fast wingers. They are tonnes better than us in the middle so better we set up solid and use our pace down the flanks. That team with a new striker and Adams in looks good as a Warnock style team I fear we are trying to play too expansive with a side not good enough to do it, we lose the ball alot and dont have the pace at the back or ball winners to play like that and be alright.

Midfield would have to run their arses off in a 2 but thats why we have subs for.  I dont like us in a 3 at the moment as none of them can score many or tackle well its better having a counter attacking side that can defend with Wilson a natural wingback as well.

If warne gets the sack you should apply for the job🤔

1 minute ago, Ram-Alf said:

To be fare Rodders that long ball Tommo got from Brown which culminated in a very long ball into the net shows that PWs long ball game is alive and well 😁

I think Thommo's shot went above head height as well, so probably should have been disallowed?

14 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

Don’t get me wrong, I too can’t stand warne’s tactical style. I would much prefer to play free flowing attacking football and score several goals a game every game.

But there’s no point judging a Paul Warne team on that as that’s not what they’re trying to do. It’s like judging a loaf of bread based on what you think a Victoria sponge cake should be like.

All Derby fans know what Paul Warne instructed the team to do tonight and apart from 1 moment they executed it, nullifying chesterfield’s attack.

What is it he is actually trying to do? He's been here 2 years and I still have no idea.

6 hours ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

After we went 2 - 1 up it felt like we were happy to sit back in a low block while they were passing it around the back.

How many times do you see top teams just close the game out by passing it around to just kill the clock. Luckily for us, Chesterfield were playing like they were winning and just kept hold of the ball for 20 minutes by passing it around the back and their holding midfielders. At no point did they force their way forward into a dangerous position in the final 20 minutes.

I agree we were sitting back but I disagree that it was controlled in the way you're describing. We sat back because Warne doesn't like us having the ball because he doesn't know what to do when we have it. The only reason they didn't break through was because they're a League Two team.

6 hours ago, R@M said:

And this is exactly why your opinions are literally laughed at. 

You state that we are tactically a ‘League 2 team’ when we won promotion from League 1 last year? Are you saying we have now changed tactics to play league 2 football? 

I am no fan of blind optimism, but it does have its place and can still be encouraging (see B4 rip)

Blind pessimism is purely destructive and usually driven by an agenda, jealousy or inferiority. You pick. 

Yes, our tactics are League Two but our squad is lower Champ/top League One standard. That's why we got promoted.

I'm not sure what possible agenda I could be pushing by sharing an opinion on a fans forum - or who exactly you think I'm jealous of. I just want to enjoy watching my team play and have gotten frustrated that I haven't in a long time. Why can't you just accept my opinion instead of trying to belittle me? 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Doesn’t matter ( although we weren’t outplayed yesterday) last season we were outplayed lots of time but generally got a result 

I didn't say we were outplayed, I said we were outplayed for large spells. We won't be able to get results while being outplayed in the Champ

20 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

What is it he is actually trying to do? He's been here 2 years and I still have no idea.

He took over Rosie's squad that was built in about 5 minutes (not literally) for nowt. That squad was built to play a possession based game and go up. PW arrived and we just missed out on the playoffs. That summer, he replaced about half the squad, again on a shoestring budget, with the intent of getting promotion, playing differently, out of League One. We got promoted.

What's he trying to do now? I'd hazard a guess at slowly building a squad to get us out of the Championship and into the Premier League. He now has more cash than last year but I don't think it's a huge amount. He's brought some players in, there's more to come between now and the end of the month. It will take a while to get the squad to where he wants it. This season we're likely to end up somewhere between 14th and 20th, IMO. Go slightly better in 25/26. Playoffs 26/27 and go for promotion the season after. 3 to 4 seasons to rebuild and achieve promotion would be good.

6 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Why can't you just accept my opinion instead of trying to belittle me? 

17 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Did you not watch the game? Chesterfield 54% possession is a hint

16 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

You're deluded 

I'm the only one not being positive for the sake of it. 

and the echo chamber of everyone pretending to enjoy that performance isn't boring?

EricMorecambeGIF-EricMorecambeFrustrated-DiscoverShareGIFs.gif.100c288723c2222fea5bd975618c33e4.gif

Nowadays Twitter uses its AI, Grok (which works with real-time data) to summarize Twitter trends. That includes personalized trends as well as general ones, so I was intrigued to see it summarize last night's game for me based on the Twitter commentary:

https://x.com/i/trending/1823491301343682637

It reads:

Derby County fans expressed mixed reactions to their team's performance in a recent match. Despite criticisms of lethargy and calls for more signings, Derby managed to secure a win and advance to the next round of the cup competition. The victory was seen as a positive step forward, though fans acknowledged the need for improvement and reinforcements in the squad. Some fans praised individual players, while others highlighted the need for additional signings to compete effectively in upcoming matches.

[This story is a summary of posts on X and may evolve over time. Grok can make mistakes, verify its outputs.]

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Nowadays Twitter uses its AI, Grok (which works with real-time data) to summarize Twitter trends. That includes personalized trends as well as general ones, so I was intrigued to see it summarize last night's game for me based on the Twitter commentary:

https://x.com/i/trending/1823491301343682637

It reads:

Derby County fans expressed mixed reactions to their team's performance in a recent match. Despite criticisms of lethargy and calls for more signings, Derby managed to secure a win and advance to the next round of the cup competition. The victory was seen as a positive step forward, though fans acknowledged the need for improvement and reinforcements in the squad. Some fans praised individual players, while others highlighted the need for additional signings to compete effectively in upcoming matches.

[This story is a summary of posts on X and may evolve over time. Grok can make mistakes, verify its outputs.]

Season 4 Success GIF by The Office

1 hour ago, RodleyRam said:

Not sure the data from the first two games of the season would back up the long ball comment. Someone better than me will have access to that and happy to be proven wrong.

I see a change in the style of our play, personally, more short passes on the deck and more through the middle. Our desire to cross is still clear and to be fair you could say all four goals we've scored have come from crosses so far... So is it such a terrible tactic? 

As I say I personally think we've altered our style of play but it's early days.

I really hope we have altered our style of play. It's just my observations from the first two games and preseason that we haven't. 

Aside from the fact its incredibly boring, in the context that we lost 4-2 to an average Blackburn side using the endless crossing tactic suggests its not a good tactic.