v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I like this post. I am not sure why it is important on a football forum that we should all love our Manager. Or why posters would want to harangue someone for not being 100% supportive of the Manager. It’s perfectly reasonable in my view to think and say what you want within the bounds of the T & Cs we are asked to abide to. If you don’t like those views, tell them, and put them on ignore. 

Because they are personally invested in their choice. So if you slight their choice you are ipso facto slighting them. IMHO obvs. Sod the Club! 😄

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I like this post. I am not sure why it is important on a football forum that we should all love our Manager. Or why posters would want to harangue someone for not being 100% supportive of the Manager. It’s perfectly reasonable in my view to think and say what you want within the bounds of the T & Cs we are asked to abide to. If you don’t like those views, tell them, and put them on ignore. 

I just find it odd that someone can “ dislike someone as a person “ without actually knowing them personally 

I think we all know that things aren't quite right yet. That was obvious in preseason. It's equally obvious that we don't have loads of cash to throw at this issue. So let's not wrist slash over this.... if we do we may as well call for the head of the Chairman. I trust in Warne and his team to pull it around but we need to set our expectations accordingly. As long as we stay up we can then begin to build on that. Rome definitely won't be built in a day...

1 minute ago, Mick Brolly said:

I just find it odd that someone can “ dislike someone as a person “ without actually knowing them personally 

I guess it is slightly odd, but there again I dislike Russell Brand, Gary Lineker, Katie Price, and Diane Abbott. Never met any of them, but each of them are on the wrong side of my like line. I don’t dislike Warney, I just don’t rate him, but I am happy for those who want to defend him to the earth. Just be tolerant of those who don’t, or as I said ignore them.  Hope you had a good night out last night Mick, and that we see some significant improvement in our performance come Chesterfield. 

20 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I like this post. I am not sure why it is important on a football forum that we should all love our Manager.

Not sure anyone is saying anyone has to love Warne, just give him the benefit of the doubt and in more general terms, be supportive of him and the players. I'm not sure that's as controversial a stance as one or two on here repeatedly imply.

1 hour ago, McArthur Park said:

Another positive, the atmosphere last night was great, some of our singing seemed exceptionally loud at times! Celebrating the first goal was brilliant, maybe because scoring the first goal on our return to the championship seemed special? And it was good to see the majority of the crowd stay to the end to applaud the players, they are going to need us.

Completely agree. In fairness, after a bit of a wobble last season, the fans at games have been really staunch. Some will say that doesn't matter, but I don't agree. I think it matters a lot.

2 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Not sure anyone is saying anyone has to love Warne, just give him the benefit of the doubt and in more general terms, be supportive of him and the players. I'm not sure that's as controversial a stance as one or two on here repeatedly imply.

Yeah, love was the wrong word. I often make that mistake.

But on a footy forum, I really don’t think anyone should expect the benefit of the doubt, and unconditional support, to be the base level for participation. 

Have I ever told you I love you?

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

But on a footy forum, I really don’t think anyone should expect the benefit of the doubt, and unconditional support, to be the base level for participation. 

Again, I'd say unconditional is overstating it. I try to be supportive, despite a wobble mid-season last year, but if it becomes clear to me that Warne really isn't up to managing a Championship club, then that's where it ends for me. I just think that after one game, some of the criticism has been a tad too fervent! By the same token, I understand that not all will take to his personality (I didn't initially) and that's perfectly reasonable.

5 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Have I ever told you I love you?

No. Never bought me flowers either.

14 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Agree - a lot of people didn’t agree with what he was doing last season but ultimately he was proven right in his approach. I was heavily critical myself at times, but ultimately the result showed that he was correct.

I guess some people are less likely to hold their hands up and still waiting on that ‘told ya so’ moment. 

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Agree - a lot of people didn’t agree with what he was doing last season but ultimately he was proven right in his approach. I was heavily critical myself at times, but ultimately the result showed that he was correct.

I guess some people are less likely to hold their hands up and still waiting on that ‘told ya so’ moment. 

It's an odd one. I myself was pretty resentful over Warne's appointment, but once in situ, it seemed a bit pointless to be repeating the same grievances over and over again, as Clowes had made his call and PW wasn't going to be going anywhere.

To my mind, he did a pretty decent job in the end, so after just the one game, he remains in credit with me. That said, if we lose our first 10 games I'll almost certainly be singing a different tune! 

11 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As I've pointed out multiple times now, I'm not advocating to do it now, but given Warne's track record at this level how long should he get?

Do you think there is really a chance that this owner would sack Warne before say February? 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Hang on a bit. Getting a ‘result’ doesn’t mean anyone is correct, nor that they were proven right in their approach. Such an over-simplistic viewpoint.

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Hang on a bit. Getting a ‘result’ doesn’t mean anyone is correct, nor that they were proven right in their approach. Such an over-simplistic viewpoint.

Maybe so, but ultimately he achieved what he was set out to do. Therefore, you can’t objectively say anything other than his approached worked.

3 hours ago, Justa said:

I’ve just watched the highlights to see if that was as bad or better than I thought at the time. It was worse.

I know I shouldn’t panic - last season taught me that…..

But compared to Blackburn we looked like a team lacking in quality, cohesion, a source of goals (other than set pieces) and game time.

So panicking no but concerned ? Definitely.

I thought 3 of their goals (not the first) were terrific.  If they’re typical of this league then it’s quite a step-up from last season.

Just now, Ambitious said:

Maybe so, but ultimately he achieved what he was set out to do. Therefore, you can’t objectively say anything other than his approached worked.

You are Vladimir Putin and I claim my £5