A good Championship budget?

RoyMac5

2 hours ago, Day said:

I have to defend BBC Derby slightly, prior to saying aiming for the top he does say he wouldn’t like to say where we will finish. They didn’t even mention it in the post to lure you into watching, it was a line pulled out to start the topic on here with, which you could argue could be seen as potentially more mischievous. 

Most appear to have understood the context of his words though and I don’t see many going into the season expecting to be challenging for the title.

I think anyone who genuinely now thinks the expectation is to finish 1st, and that that is what we should judge Warne on over the season, needs their head checking. 

Saying that though I am surprised Clowes has decided to comment on budget again. On first listening I took his comments to mean we would be able to be competitive in regards to be able to rival other clubs with bids for players. If that’s not what he meant, fair enough - but he should maybe be clearer or just avoid commenting on it at all. 

I don’t think it’s fair to get upset with supporters for raising their expectations a bit in terms of spending power when these sorts of comments are being made by the man holding the wallet. 

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

I think anyone who genuinely now thinks the expectation is to finish 1st, and that that is what we should judge Warne on over the season, needs their head checking. 

Saying that though I am surprised Clowes has decided to comment on budget again. On first listening I took his comments to mean we would be able to be competitive in regards to be able to rival other clubs with bids for players. If that’s not what he meant, fair enough - but he should maybe be clearer or just avoid commenting on it at all. 

I don’t think it’s fair to get upset with supporters for raising their expectations a bit in terms of spending power when these sorts of comments are being made by the man holding the wallet. 

I think it’s fair when aiming for top has been pulled from everything that was said in that short video. And if that does become an expectation.

The definition of competitive for me would be, we’ll hold our own and won’t look out of place in the Championship.

Mid table if we’re looking for the positions.

When you hear him talk about first of all staying in the Championship, I think it lines up with that.

End of the day, expectations are personal choices, if anyone wants to expect top 2 go for it, just remember the clubs expectations might not line up with that and won’t pull the trigger if we’re sat in 15th by Christmas.

20 hours ago, harwich ram said:

Didn't he,say the same thing  last year about  league 1 but hardly any money spent on transfers all on wages we need players and that means money spent 

We still had the highest wage budget in the league. Also, who in league one actually spent money on transfer fees?

9 minutes ago, RamInSweden said:

We still had the highest wage budget in the league. Also, who in league one actually spent money on transfer fees?

Portsmouth bought Moxon in the Jan window and Charlton seemed to spend a bit too IIRC, but you're right about fees being the exception, not the rule.

4 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

Portsmouth, Bolton and Charlton for starters, in fact, if we'd had a spending spree like Charlton with their final position,  there would be some on here calling for Warne and even Clowes' heads.

18 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

It depends on what you mean by “raising their expectations a bit”. 

The comments he made should allay (at least temporarily) fears some folk may have (including a handful on this forum) that the budget we have (and consequently the players were likely to sign) means it will be a miracle if we survive but, it shouldn’t cause anyone to suddenly think we’re going to win the league. 

Birmingham had a mid-table budget last season but went down.The owners made a catastrophic decision in giving the managers job to Rooney . Suddenly Wazza rocks up at Plymouth . They have to be favourites ,for me , to go down . He would never have got these jobs without his playing career.

Clowes just said he disagrees with parachute payments, said the club is debt free, and cited Luton as an example of what can be done if it’s done right.

When asked if additional investment is part of the 5 year business plan he said that he wouldn’t turn it down if it was offered. Sounds like it’s not an intended part of the plan unless someone volunteers it.

56 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Clowes just said he disagrees with parachute payments, said the club is debt free, and cited Luton as an example of what can be done if it’s done right.

When asked if additional investment is part of the 5 year business plan he said that he wouldn’t turn it down if it was offered. Sounds like it’s not an intended part of the plan unless someone volunteers it.

Actively looking for investment , but has to be the right fit so no rush I’ve been told.