Championship | 2024/25

Day

I'd say there are realistically 14 clubs who could find themselves relegated this season, especially if they ensure bad luck along the way. 

We know manager changes will be rife, therefore some bad/good decisions will go a long way to impacting the relegated clubs.

Clowes will almost certainly give Warne the season, unless we have a Sheff Wed-esque start. He's probably earned that with how he turned it around last season. I guess you could argue without any significant investment coming between now and the end of the window that it should almost be expected. 

We will competitive but very much part of it (relegation battle) - objectively speaking. 

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They were 13th last season but finished very strongly. 8 wins out of 13 under Harris (averaging 2 points per game). I expect them to have another midtable finish

Time will tell. There's a reason they already got rid of Harris once.

17230520185432216952662450573806.thumb.jpg.cee7bade47e0d3b85017b4f539f5fe13.jpg17230520429944208138464936871574.thumb.jpg.64c370445245ffc2fdec77dca7b23cbf.jpgInteresting to see the Opta predictions for this coming season, with ourselves finishing 19th, according to the super computer.

You only need to say last season's predictions to see how accurate they are.

29 minutes ago, ram59 said:

17230520185432216952662450573806.thumb.jpg.cee7bade47e0d3b85017b4f539f5fe13.jpg17230520429944208138464936871574.thumb.jpg.64c370445245ffc2fdec77dca7b23cbf.jpgInteresting to see the Opta predictions for this coming season, with ourselves finishing 19th, according to the super computer.

I’m looking forward to seeing Middlesbrough’s first game in the premier league… Oh wait. 

One of the more fascinating aspects of the Championship which has come to life in the past 3-4 years is the number of overseas signings: I've just had a look and it looks to be close to 50 players, with many of them coming into the country for the first time. 

Leeds, Oxford and Sheff Utd are the only teams to rely purely on the English market - albeit with three very different approaches. 

13 hours ago, ram59 said:

You mean we might do an Ipswich? 😀

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The Not The Top 20 Podcast have done their annual 1-24 predictions. They're the best in the game, so worth a listen for anyone wanting a primer on the competition this year.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2oNhh9rRLZ6l6qUIV55Qlv?si=CQcyICSnT5u_WzpXsm2SeA

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/not-the-top-20-podcast/id1112915286

This lot the ones that us down for relegation? If so, I’ll pass

Top 2: Leeds, Burnley

Play-offs: Coventry, Luton, Sheff Utd, WBA

Bottom 3: Blackburn, Stoke, Portsmouth

Rams to finish: 15th

Overachievers: Swansea to finish in the top half, Derby and Oxford to finish outside the bottom six

Underachievers: QPR and Wednesday to finish in the bottom half

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The Not The Top 20 Podcast have done their annual 1-24 predictions. They're the best in the game, so worth a listen for anyone wanting a primer on the competition this year.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2oNhh9rRLZ6l6qUIV55Qlv?si=CQcyICSnT5u_WzpXsm2SeA

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/not-the-top-20-podcast/id1112915286

I did listen to this today - I have to say the level of detail they do go into is very impressive. I think their prediction of us going down was based on Warne taking Rotherham down, albeit did caveat that he would be working with a much more substantial budget here. 

Some of the stuff they mentioned: Josh Murphy being the best player in the Championship for the last six months(!) was obviously incredibly reactionary to two goals in the play-off final. I can make much better cases for Joe Taylor, Archie Collins & Ebou Adams. I might be bias, but the latter almost certainly deserves it considering we were significantly the best team in the league in that period and we conceded 5 non-penalty goals with him on the pitch. In terms of attacking prowess, Joe Taylor and Collins were both substantially ahead too. 

I also found the Olaf Klobaki praise on the Wednesday side quite bizarre - I can only assume they thought he came from the top division in Poland as opposed to the second division. He might be promising, but they were talking about him as though he was one of the most exciting signings of the window. 

50 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I did listen to this today - I have to say the level of detail they do go into is very impressive. I think their prediction of us going down was based on Warne taking Rotherham down, albeit did caveat that he would be working with a much more substantial budget here. 

Some of the stuff they mentioned: Josh Murphy being the best player in the Championship for the last six months(!) was obviously incredibly reactionary to two goals in the play-off final. I can make much better cases for Joe Taylor, Archie Collins & Ebou Adams. I might be bias, but the latter almost certainly deserves it considering we were significantly the best team in the league in that period and we conceded 5 non-penalty goals with him on the pitch. In terms of attacking prowess, Joe Taylor and Collins were both substantially ahead too. 

I also found the Olaf Klobaki praise on the Wednesday side quite bizarre - I can only assume they thought he came from the top division in Poland as opposed to the second division. He might be promising, but they were talking about him as though he was one of the most exciting signings of the window. 

They're properly passionate about the EFL and care about the detail, unlike their clickbait merchant competitors, The Second Tier.

No idea about the Klobaki stuff. They use a lot of data when analysing players so maybe they saw something exciting in that.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

I'm 3/4 through that pod and they've found a new subscriber in me. Detailed and passionate. Much like the Jack Ward lad on YT who is an Oxford fan that covered League 1 last year (very impressively IMO for someone so young).

I think the Not the top 20 guys were a bit info-light on Derby and Portsmouth tbh and gave a bit too much weight to both Paul Warne's shortcomings and John Mousinho's strengths. I think our business has been much better and I reckon we are at least 2 places higher than Portsmouth come season end.

Still throbbing for tonight.

Is it just me looking on a little jealously at Oxford and Pompey’s line-ups today? We look to have by far the weakest recruitment of the 3 promoted sides so far. Let’s hope we come good on deals in the final 3 weeks of the window.

52 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Is it just me looking on a little jealously at Oxford and Pompey’s line-ups today? We look to have by far the weakest recruitment of the 3 promoted sides so far. Let’s hope we come good on deals in the final 3 weeks of the window.

I think those two have done most of their recruitment already, with their starting 11s unlikely to improve much by the end of the month. The don't look to have improved on their L1 teams by much.

On the other hand, we've still got 4 or 5 starters to come in so will see more of an improvement as the season kicks in. However, our starting 11 currently looks weake4 than what we finished last season with - Wildmsith, Sibley, Bird were all regulars last season but we have so far failed to replace them.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think those two have done most of their recruitment already, with their starting 11s unlikely to improve much by the end of the month. The don't look to have improved on their L1 teams by much.

On the other hand, we've still got 4 or 5 starters to come in so will see more of an improvement as the season kicks in. However, our starting 11 currently looks weake4 than what we finished last season with - Wildmsith, Sibley, Bird were all regulars last season but we have so far failed to replace them.

And I would expect our finalised side to take 6-10 games to gel in which case I’d say we’ll be in mid-late Oct at least before we have a realistic idea of where we are at.