UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

7 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Surely the obvious answer to an injured Kane would be to play Bellingham in the false 9 role he plays for Madrid.

Yeah, or Palmer. I think we need Bellingham to be a bit deeper, like he was as Dortmund.

18 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Agree, but we need to find a long-term Kane replacement. His body has taken an absolute beating. I'm sure he'll still be great in two years, but not much longer after that surely. 

I'd say we need a replacement for Kyle Walker even more urgently as he's effectively been mopping up behind a shaky pair of central defenders. Who we haven't yet got replacements identified for although branthwaite looks like he'll be next to be tried out.

Kyle will be 36 next wc.....

16 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Surely the obvious answer to an injured Kane would be to play Bellingham in the false 9 role he plays for Madrid.

He didn’t play it in the way you think of how Messi used to though.

Their wingers would play up front, with Jude at the tip of a diamond - they’d stretch the play wide when needed and he’d burst into the space.

Not sure we could make that radical a change to our system if Kane was injured.

24 minutes ago, eddielewis said:

Timi Max Elsnik in the starting XI for Slovenia. Hope he has a good game.

Still baffled by the decision to let him leave to be honest. Very few Rams fans, if any, will be surprised that he's gone on to carve out a very good career for himself. Tonight though, I hope he accidentally ties his boots together. 

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Quite excited by England team today, especially if Stones steps up into midfield with TAA, so Rice and Bellingham can be further forward. If we do win Euros, think Rice is going to be the hero.

Just bang them up. Six months in an 8 x 6 cell with big Jurgen Bumgardner and his pals should help them see sense. 

25 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Still baffled by the decision to let him leave to be honest. Very few Rams fans, if any, will be surprised that he's gone on to carve out a very good career for himself. Tonight though, I hope he accidentally ties his boots together. 

I can see how he was overlooked when he signed his professional deal we had a new manager ever season from 2016-2019 so chances for him to impress were probably very slim with Mel breathing in every managers ear to not slip up. I'd think he'd be great in a Paul Warne midfield #bringhimhome 

47 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Just bang them up. Six months in an 8 x 6 cell with big Jurgen Bumgardner and his pals should help them see sense. 

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Quite excited by England team today, especially if Stones steps up into midfield with TAA, so Rice and Bellingham can be further forward. If we do win Euros, think Rice is going to be the hero.

47 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Don’t think Rice or Bellingham deserve that treatment.
Hopefully have you replied to the wrong post. 😂

Edited by cstand

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

Don’t think Rice or Bellingham deserve that treatment.
Hopefully have you replied to the wrong post. 😂

I'm sure there are "journalists" in some places ready to write that sort of thing. Think they will spare Rice though and choose Saka instead.

I think England’s chances are being overstated. There a couple of issues I see. One being that our better players tend to occupy similar positions, and the other being a tournament too soon for some of our younger players.

Henderson 2018-2022 was a better player than Mainoo or Wharton, for instance.

Foden, Bellingham and Palmer all occupy similar positions. Rice also hasn’t played regularly as a holding midfielder.

We also have the question of who plays wide left. Is Gordon a better player there than Foden? Arguably so.

I see Kane (CF), Bellingham/Foden (AM), Saka (RW) and Rice (linking CM) as 4 top class options. I see the other 7 roles between decent and good.

When you look at France and Portugal, I think they have better players across the board.