UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

9 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It seemed like you were saying it was panic because only now he is getting rid of players he should have discarded earlier.

Most of the new players will be in the extended squad for experience. This is usually happens.

Left back is a problem due to injuries. Think Gomez can play there as well in other places. He'll clearly backup, if selected for final squad.

Uncapped players in a tournament squad is unusual. Remember the pelters Sven got in 2006 for taking Theo Walcott?

There are 5 uncapped players in the provisional squad.

Then you have the continued inclusion of Maguire, who's been pretty rubbish for utd this season but kept around because he "never lets England down". Surely the same criteria apply to some of the other old guard?

Seems inconsistent and not thought through is all. But no matter, I'll be cheering them on to quarter final glory.....😉

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

England have got to be one of the favourites, no doubt about it. If only your lot had a better central defence you would be the favourite. Midfield and attack are as good as it gets for England but You could really do with Ben White being available. Funny how Southgate has not picked Henderson and Deschamp has recalled Kante for France. Euros, Olympics, Tour de France, summer is sorted whatever the weather.

What do you make of your chances? 

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Uncapped players in a tournament squad is unusual. Remember the pelters Sven got in 2006 for taking Theo Walcott?

There are 5 uncapped players in the provisional squad.

Then you have the continued inclusion of Maguire, who's been pretty rubbish for utd this season but kept around because he "never lets England down". Surely the same criteria apply to some of the other old guard?

Seems inconsistent and not thought through is all. But no matter, I'll be cheering them on to quarter final glory.....😉

Tbf, Walcott hadn't played a minute of Premier League football.

I don't have a problem with him picking Maguire. Henderson shouldn't have been anywhere near the moment he went to Saudi though. 

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

What do you make of your chances? 

One of the favourites no more no less (Switzerland at the euros remember this.). If any matches go to pens we ve got Maignan which is good as Lloris never saved any. Chuffed about Kante coming back, as midfield needed another quality midfielder but I have no idea what he’s been up to or the level is at. Our attack is good but nothing special apart MBappe. Dembele is a luxury, Kolo Muany average, Barcola looks promising but no better than  Olise from Palace, I wish Deschamp had picked him. Giroud and Griesman are not getting any younger but they ll be there which is good.

10 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bringing players in he hasn't given any significant game time to.

Picking a left back he admits he doesn't know the fitness of.

Picking a provisional squad of 30....why?

Bringing back players previously discarded (Gomez).

This is all a plan, right?

So you think he should stick with thr same squad all of the time?

Assume you wouldn't have moaned if he had picked Henderson then?

Seems like Southgate can't win.

A number of these callups appear to be with a view to getting them adjusted to tournement football in the future. I seriously doubt a few like Trafford and Quansah will go to the Euros, but it'll be a good introduction prior to being part Nations League and World Cup qualifier squads. For me, Wharton has to be included. He's been a one of the best DMs in the PL since he joined Palace in January, and would be the best midfield partner to Rice.

It won't be far off something like this...

Euro squad: Pickford, Ramsdale, Henderson, Alexander-Arnold, Walker, Shaw, Trippier, Stone, Maguire, Gomez, Guehi, Rice, Gallagher, Bellingham, Mainoo, Wharton, Foden, Palmer, Maddison, Grealish, Saka, Bowen, Gordon, Eze, Kane, Watkins

Missing out: Trafford, Branthwaite, Dunk, Konsa, Quansah, Jones, Toney

Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Palmer, and Eze (when fit) have all had fantastic seasons, but it's a struggle to choose 3 of them to start in a balanced team, especially on the left.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So you think he should stick with thr same squad all of the time?

Assume you wouldn't have moaned if he had picked Henderson then?

Seems like Southgate can't win.

No, he should have planned better, rotated more during what are fairly easy qualification matches as well as friendlies and/or introduced a smaller number of newbies into previous tournaments by rotating the team. Basically a set of actions to give him as big a pool of players who ate able to step up to tournament football as possible.

Now he'll be hoping his first xi or xii doesn't pick up injuries or cards as they're probably going to have to play every minute.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

No, he should have planned better, rotated more during what are fairly easy qualification matches as well as friendlies and/or introduced a smaller number of newbies into previous tournaments by rotating the team. Basically a set of actions to give him as big a pool of players who ate able to step up to tournament football as possible.

Now he'll be hoping his first xi or xii doesn't pick up injuries or cards as they're probably going to have to play every minute.

He'd play them every minute anyway. Yes, I'm still angry he didn't make a sub until extra time against Italy.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Toney

Bellingham, Foden, Saka, Palmer, and Eze (when fit) have all had fantastic seasons, but it's a struggle to choose 3 of them to start in a balanced team, especially on the left.

Not Rice, Foden, Bellingham in midfield and Kane, Saka, Palmer up front?

I never would have been up for this in the past, but wonder now if those 6 are just so good, they would be lethal. Also could have Stones moving up into midfield when in position, like he has done at City.

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

How does playing, what you describe as 'fairly easy qualification matches' prepare you for tournament football?

Not sure how you have come to your conclusion in your final paragraph?

Basically it's, yet again, negativity for negativitys sake.

34 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How does playing, what you describe as 'fairly easy qualification matches' prepare you for tournament football?

Not sure how you have come to your conclusion in your final paragraph?

Basically it's, yet again, negativity for negativitys sake.

You are entitled to your view,as I am entitled to ignore you. 

46 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Not Rice, Foden, Bellingham in midfield and Kane, Saka, Palmer up front?

I never would have been up for this in the past, but wonder now if those 6 are just so good, they would be lethal. Also could have Stones moving up into midfield when in position, like he has done at City.

Take where they play for their club's the most - Rice more of an 8, whilst Foden, Bellingham and Palmer all want to be the #10s, with Kane also dropping into that zone. Even with Rice as the DM, there's a big gap between him and the AMs

Pickford
Walker Stones Maguire Shaw
                   Rice
Saka Palmer Bellingham Foden
                  Kane

Let the four creatives run wild interchanging positions around Kane and taking it in turns to drop in and collect the ball deeper. Stones steps into holding midfield at times, leaving the others as a back 3. Total football and win every game 5-4. Simple as that 👌 

Henderson

Guhei Maguire Tomori

Wan Bissaka                          Mitchell

Henderson Phillips

Sancho            Greenwood       Eze

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Take where they play for their club's the most - Rice more of an 8, whilst Foden, Bellingham and Palmer all want to be the #10s, with Kane also dropping into that zone. Even with Rice as the DM, there's a big gap between him and the AMs

True, but Bellingham played deeper in the past for both Dortmund and England. Heard something about him moving forward at Real due to Benzema going and them not bringing in a replacement really.

I think Rice and Bellingham are both good enough to play as "deeper" midfielders.

Possible downside of playing Bellingham higher as a 10 for England is that he does not get enough of the ball. I want him on the ball more than anyone, making things happen. Like he did in last World Cup.

And Stones is there to push into midfield two whilst in possession.

Kane can also come deeper and play people in. Imagine that with Saka, Foden, Palmer and Bellingham running on past him.

I know I have paid absolutely no attention to the top division for a couple of years, but I can honestly say that I have never heard of 10 of the players in the provisional squad and don’t think I could pick several more out of a line up…