Punching above our weight. What do you think would elevate us above mid table next season?

On 29/05/2024 at 21:14, Bris Vegas said:

I like being here. I’m a big Derby fan. I pay £20 to RamsTV every month. I wouldn’t be here otherwise.

Just because I don’t rate Warne, or I don’t think Derby are a big club, doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be here.

I enjoy the opinions

but you support liverpool (my opinion)

Long term, and it's lovely to use that phrase, I think it's going to be a case of slow evolution to get us back up the top end. A 3 year plan perhaps. 

It will be a mix of filling the squad out and Warne bringing in players for his style this summer - we know a whole new midfield is on the cards. I don't imagine it will be one that immediately bosses the league but I'd like to think we get one that is solid (maybe Adams), one that is decent and will develop further over the next couple of years (Kane), and a couple of moderate stopgaps. Then next year we bring in better players for those stopgaps and upgrade again 2 years from now. 

I think with even pretty average signings we can be tight enough defensively to stop up without having to really look over our shoulder, then top half and then to the edge of the play offs. 

To overachieve, and in a world where Leicester can win the Prem anything is possible, we need a combination of falling lucky in signing 5 players that gel and pretty much hit the ground running, one of which needs to be a free scoring. We need to also essential that CBT and NML are on it from early on. Also essential that we avoid injuries

2 minutes ago, Rample said:

...To overachieve, and in a world where Leicester can win the Prem anything is possible, we need a combination of falling lucky in signing 5 players that gel and pretty much hit the ground running, one of which needs to be a free scoring. We need to also essential that CBT and NML are on it from early on. Also essential that we avoid injuries

I don't know enough about Leicester's rise to success, but did they 'fall lucky' in their signings then?

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Lol. They were so good at it they did it again! I was asking about how they made their 'lucky signings', seems that spotting Mahrez helped. But interestingly the huge wages paid relates to promotion bonuses:

"Leicester’s 2013-14 accounts state they spent £36m on players’ wages, £5m more than the club’s entire income – the goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, the captain Wes Morgan, the prolific striker Jamie Vardy and other core players were already on the payroll then – although Leicester said £9.4m comprised bonuses paid on promotion. During the season, in January 2014, Leicester signed Riyad Mahrez from Le Havre for a reported £560,000, and the Algeria midfielder has since been instrumental in Leicester’s promotion and remarkable Premier League turnaround."

If you look for info on Luton's finances - who we should aim to be like according to one poster - then their current losses are down to 'huge' promotion bonuses. It all goes on still.

How to stop football clubs spending money? 😉

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Nothing new there as this article is from eight years ago, but it so obviously cheating and nothing is done about it.

The biggest crime in football is to upset the establishment.

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. They were so good at it they did it again! I was asking about how they made their 'lucky signings', seems that spotting Mahrez helped. But interestingly the huge wages paid relates to promotion bonuses:

"Leicester’s 2013-14 accounts state they spent £36m on players’ wages, £5m more than the club’s entire income – the goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel, the captain Wes Morgan, the prolific striker Jamie Vardy and other core players were already on the payroll then – although Leicester said £9.4m comprised bonuses paid on promotion. During the season, in January 2014, Leicester signed Riyad Mahrez from Le Havre for a reported £560,000, and the Algeria midfielder has since been instrumental in Leicester’s promotion and remarkable Premier League turnaround."

If you look for info on Luton's finances - who we should aim to be like according to one poster - then their current losses are down to 'huge' promotion bonuses. It all goes on still.

How to stop football clubs spending money? 😉

Or how to stop players and/or agents demanding huge bonuses for doing their jobs.

As bad as bankers......

44 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Or how to stop players and/or agents demanding huge bonuses for doing their jobs.

As bad as bankers......

In fairness, they're not just doing their jobs, they're excelling at their jobs by gaining promotion and earning their club in excess of a £100m. If you're on of a number of players who earn your club a £100m bonus, it's not unreasonable to expect to share a £10-20m share of that money. Where it becomes irresponsible, is when these players earn vast fortunes for achieving nothing.

It looks bad on promoted clubs' accounts during their promotion season but these bonuses are paid out against future earnings in the Premier. I suppose that the EFL must take these bonuses off the clubs' losses when assessing for FFP. However, the Premier league will include these losses when they assess the clubs in future seasons.

Posted (edited)

Leicester built themselves some headroom by selling far east marketing rights for £9.5m to a £1 company owned by former FA boss Sir Dave Richards and his son which had never traded before. This meant their FFP figures were compliant. Shortly after, Leicester's owner bought those very same rights off SDR's company for the same price. 

When the EFL eventually twigged and charged Leicester with breaching FFP, Leicester's owner threatened to sue the EFL out of business (sound familiar?) After about 2 years of wrangling, Fester accepted a reduced fine with the EFL acceping that "there had been no intention to deceive", which is a bit like saying that Ronnie Biggs didn't intentionally abscond from prison. By that stage, they'd won the PL and none of their fans acknowledge the bleedin' obvious: that the whole Marketing Rights deal was a fraud.

Edited by Crewton

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

In fairness, they're not just doing their jobs, they're excelling at their jobs by gaining promotion and earning their club in excess of a £100m. If you're on of a number of players who earn your club a £100m bonus, it's not unreasonable to expect to share a £10-20m share of that money. Where it becomes irresponsible, is when these players earn vast fortunes for achieving nothing.

It looks bad on promoted clubs' accounts during their promotion season but these bonuses are paid out against future earnings in the Premier. I suppose that the EFL must take these bonuses off the clubs' losses when assessing for FFP. However, the Premier league will include these losses when they assess the clubs in future seasons.

Sounds exactly like the bankers. "Look at all the extra profits we made you". Until they turned out not to be there. Just like premier League profits.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't know enough about Leicester's rise to success, but did they 'fall lucky' in their signings then?

No, sorry if my post wasn't clear, I was simply saying that if Leicester could win the Premier league then it is possible, however improbable, that we could go straight up. The list of things afterwards is just what I think would need to fall into place for that to happen.

And yes, as the above have presumably said, Leicester's 'success' was definitely built their on not getting punished for flirtations with admin, avoiding points deductions, and some questionable FFP accounting, not signings. Looks like they are about to get theirs though.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Sounds exactly like the bankers. "Look at all the extra profits we made you". Until they turned out not to be there. Just like premier League profits.

That's down to clubs like forest and villa spending a fortune to stay up, I would imagine that Burnley, Luton and Sheff Utd all made a tidy profit from their season in the Premier. It's not down to the players and their agents, how the club capitalise on their success.

Premier league clubs only made a loss due to ridiculous spending on players, the clubs had combined operating profits of £460m and £459m in 20/21 and 21/22 seasons.

2 hours ago, Rample said:

No, sorry if my post wasn't clear, I was simply saying that if Leicester could win the Premier league then it is possible, however improbable, that we could go straight up. The list of things afterwards is just what I think would need to fall into place for that to happen.

And yes, as the above have presumably said, Leicester's 'success' was definitely built their on not getting punished for flirtations with admin, avoiding points deductions, and some questionable FFP accounting, not signings. Looks like they are about to get theirs though.

I think that maybe there was luck, maybe there was 'cheating', maybe they found their Mac1, etc. So maybe you need to make sure 'the wind is blowing in the right direction' for luck to happen. #COYR