More restricted this year

Though we are now out of the post administration need for approved budgets, in terms of budgets in comparison to other teams we are now actually more restricted post promotion.

When you look at the parachute clubs and clubs with super rich owners throwing money at the situation. That's not a criticism of Clowes btw just an assessment of where we are.

It is likely that we will have gone from a top 2 budget in league one to a mid table budget in the Championship. 

Thankfully most supporters understand and appreciate this as seem to be indicated by our realistic expectations thread.

The next 2 seasons will be a real test of PW and our recruitment team.

11 minutes ago, sage said:

Though we are now out of the post administration need for approved budgets, in terms of budgets in comparison to other teams we are now actually more restricted post promotion.

When you look at the parachute clubs and clubs with super rich owners throwing money at the situation. That's not a criticism of Clowes btw just an assessment of where we are.

It is likely that we will have gone from a top 2 budget in league one to a mid table budget in the Championship. 

Thankfully most supporters understand and appreciate this as seem to be indicated by our realistic expectations thread.

The next 2 seasons will be a real test of PW and our recruitment team.

Also a real test for some of our impatient fans, not you obviously 🙂

8 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Also a real test for some of our impatient fans, not you obviously 🙂

That's the third similar comment this afternoon. Not seen anyone being too silly on the expectations thread.

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not sure what you’re trying to say with the title. 

I think you’re just saying our budget has gone from the top to perhaps the middle. Whilst that’s true, I’m not sure I’d use the word “restricted” as that’s misleading. 

14 minutes ago, Srg said:

It's a play on words. We are now out of restrictions but in comparison with our competition we are more restricted.

Even if DC went full Lionel Pickering we still wouldn't be a top 6 budget and stay within FFP. 

It's a comment on 3 things. A) the unfairness of the parachute system B) we need to realistic this season and C) we need to recruitment spot on.

Not sure that any of that is controversial.

If it was, it would be in a different thread.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

It's a play on words. We are now out of restrictions but in comparison with our competition we are more restricted.

Even if DC went full Lionel Pickering we still wouldn't be a top 6 budget and stay within FFP. 

It's a comment on 3 things. A) the unfairness of the parachute system B) we need to realistic this season and C) we need to recruitment spot on.

No, none of that is controversial. Just the way you put it seemed more spiky than you intended. 

8 minutes ago, sage said:

That's the third similar comment this afternoon. Not seen anyone being too silly on the expectations thread.

The bar by quite a few last year was success would be promotion, that was changed to promotion was expected when it looked like we'd do it, accompanied with PW wouldnt keep us in the championship.

Now we are promoted, it has been raised to mid table, I fully expect a couple of good signings and it be play offs.

Probably why you see posts are cynical about some fans 😏

16 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

The bar by quite a few last year was success would be promotion, that was changed to promotion was expected when it looked like we'd do it, accompanied with PW wouldnt keep us in the championship.

Now we are promoted, it has been raised to mid table, I fully expect a couple of good signings and it be play offs.

Perhaps just wait those posts instead of arguing against potential posts.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Agree with your opening sentiment that we should certainly be competitive with our likely budget i.e. somewhere above bottom 6 & that we will see the true test of Warne against better equipped teams & some sharp tactical minds. Some excellent managers at Championship level.

Re other thread, seen a lot of comments talking about a potential playoff push. I'd be shocked if we finished top 10 quite honestly, irrespective of recruitment. I suspect some folk are paying too much heed to Ipswich's success & the Arthur Cox double promotion.

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

We obviously have a friendly wager on in any case but I can't get my head around the idea we're only 2 quality signings from a top 6 push. What are you seeing from the current setup that leads you to believe we have the foundation in place for that? Genuinely interested.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Did Ipswich have a top 6 budget? 
Could we sell to buy would we be better or worse off?

Have we got anything decent coming through the ranks apart from the 1/2 season wonder at non league Gateshead?

1 hour ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Did Ipswich have a top 6 budget? 
Could we sell to buy would we be better or worse off?

Have we got anything decent coming through the ranks apart from the 1/2 season wonder at non league Gateshead?

Ipswich are an exception but they built well over a few seasons in the League One. Spent a fair bit.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Ipswich are an exception but they built well over a few seasons in the League One. Spent a fair bit.

With the right recruitment I think we could suprise a few this year.

Defensively we were solid last season and that could be key this year. Get the attacking signings right and it could be a decent season.

51 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

With the right recruitment I think we could suprise a few this year.

Defensively we were solid last season and that could be key this year. Get the attacking signings right and it could be a decent season.

I'll be amazed if we finish top 6.

Happy but amazed.

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

We obviously have a friendly wager on in any case but I can't get my head around the idea we're only 2 quality signings from a top 6 push. What are you seeing from the current setup that leads you to believe we have the foundation in place for that? Genuinely interested.

Do I think, no, my point was more around other expectations going from survival in this league to mid table before we have even made a signing and how when we make a couple, it will probably goto top 6 😏

I wouldn't be surprised to see us pushing for a top 6 place, I also would be surprised if it was bottom 6 either. I think PW plays winning football over pretty football and in this league, anything is possible, however I'd consider survival next season a success, anything else, a bonus.

More “restricted” I’m not so sure… but less competitive certainly.

This is the first season in a LONG time (probably about 5 years at this point) where we are free of any sort of EFL imposed embargo. That should make a huge difference to the type of business we are able to do - we can now spend fees again, which should allow us to sign younger players from lower down the leagues / abroad, rather than relying on aging well known free agents, as we have been for the first two years of Clowes’ time at the club.

But, that said, even with the restrictions we were still by some margin the biggest club in League One, which meant we were still able to assemble a stronger squad than anyone else. That won’t be the case in the Championship next year, as teams with parachute payments will have significantly greater financial clout than us, making it harder for us to compete.

Clowes is worth what, 250m? The sort of money most of us can only dream of, and yet a pittance in the higher echelons of the footballing world. He is, as he’s effectively already admitted, only capable of funding a mid-table Championship side at a maximum. Which should be the aim this season, as even a newly promoted Derby County should be stronger than some of the smaller clubs in the league. But that’s as far as we can reasonably expect at the moment.

Im fairly certain that, should we solidify ourselves in the Championship, Clowes will see his job as done in terms of saving and stabilising the club, and will look to sell up in the next couple of years.

A few of you have mentioned about the struggles of competing against clubs with parachute payments. This isn't new to us. We've only ever known this. However, we are also not particularly competing with those teams, we are competing against those teams who aren't receiving parachute payments, because a realistic goal is to stay in the league next season. We are competing for signings that probably 12-14 clubs in the championship are going for.