24/25 Sky TV Coverage

2 minutes ago, Simmoram2024Ramsrontheup said:

I’d make Sky for league games pre plan every single game that they want to show on the fixture release day. Any cup ties that cause postponement can be factored in. 

I'm happy we're getting a lot more notice than we used to get. I agree with your sentiment, however, from early March onwards, any TV company will want to concentrate mainly on promotion and relegation matters. We already know what's what up to the first weekend of January. By November 1st we'll know up to the first weekend in March. After that, TV matches will be announced every 4 weeks, starting with the February 1st announcement for games in March and then 4 weeks later for April games.

As an expat this helps me greatly with planning flights and hotels and able to get both at a cheaper rate because I can book early. Not perfect but much better for me.

5 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

No doubt clubs receive more funding. But guess where that will very quickly disappear. Player wages and agents fees. Derby struggling to afford Championship strikers now (although we may yet be surprised) and the new deal isn’t going to change that. All clubs get a better deal on paper now, but it’s all relative and will be lost in player wage inflation. Clubs will also lose some match day revenue as folks less likely to attend Friday 8pm games. The net net is Sky may make some money, clubs may initially but it will quickly be bid out, fans will be inconvenienced, and I think the product overall is less exciting if games are going to be spread across the week.

That's what I can't decide if the money from Sky TV will be more or less than the lost revenue from match days.

As for another striker I have a feeling they might be a player in off loan. Hopefully someone with some sort of physical presence.

Below is a list of all fixtures within Sky's TV review period, with the bold fixtures the TV picks which have changed the kickoff time by more than just 15 minutes (10). I tend to find the evening games (3) to be more enjoyable, and the later kickoff on Boxing Day should give people a bit more time to sober up so should also be better. THat leaves 6 games with a worse kickoff time.

1. Blackburn - Saturday 3pm to Friday 8pm (SKY)
2. Boro - Saturday 3pm to 12:30pm (SKY)
3. Watford - no change
4. Bristol C - no change
5. Cardiff - no change
6. Sheff U - no change
7. Norwich - Saturday 3pm to 12:30pm (SKY)
8. Sunderland - no change
9. QPR - no change
10. Millwall - no change
11. Oxford - no change
12. Hull - no change
13. Stoke - Saturday 3pm to 12:30pm (SKY)
14. Coventry - no change
15. Plymouth - no change
16. Preston - no change
17. Swansea - Wednesday 7:45pm to 8pm (SKY)
18. Sheff W - Saturday 3pm to Sunday 3pm (SKY)
19. Leeds - Saturday 3pm to 12:30pm (SKY)
20. Burnley - no change
21. Portsmouth - Saturday 3pm to Friday 8pm (SKY)
22. Luton - Saturday 3pm to Friday 8pm (SKY)
23. West Brom - Thursday 3pm to 5:30pm (SKY)
24. Leeds - Saturday 3pm to Sunday 5:45pm (SKY)

25. Sheff W - no change
26. Bristol C - no change

2 hours ago, Kathcairns said:

Why do the fixtures for sky come out when season tickets have been renewed. It is inconveniant for families and shift workers. Bring back sat 3pm and tue or wed night games. Seems to me football is becoming a sport for armchair fans.

Staring Ed Helms GIF by The Office

If the history of the PL is anything to go by more games on Sky means more eyes on the product, not less people in the grounds. 

More TV money means higher player wages which equates to better quality players which eventually equates to better quality product. 

Better quality product increases the value of the product 

Which increases the TV money…..

1 minute ago, FindernRam said:

You have to be joking!

No, higher wages means better players can be attracted from other leagues/countries. 

That’s exactly what happened in the PL. 

It increases the overall competitiveness of the Championship v other leagues. 

10 minutes ago, Ravanelli said:

If the history of the PL is anything to go by more games on Sky means more eyes on the product, not less people in the grounds. 

More TV money means higher player wages which equates to better quality players which eventually equates to better quality product. 

Better quality product increases the value of the product 

Which increases the TV money…..

I'm not sure that higher player wages equate to better players? Everyone's wages increase proportionally. Unless we pay more in UK than abroad and can attract overseas players.

But surely Sky and their buddies are doing similar deals worldwide? 

It's just a race to the top, with money the main driver, rather than talent.

1 minute ago, Ravanelli said:

No, higher wages means better players can be attracted from other leagues/countries. 

Not hijacking this thread so I'll start another one in Football section

1 minute ago, angieram said:

I'm not sure that higher player wages equate to better players? Everyone's wages increase proportionally. Unless we pay more in UK than abroad and can attract overseas players.

I don’t have any figures but the EPL is shown in almost every country in the world.

I don’t think that is the same for other Leagues.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I agree if we only swap players between Championship clubs nothing improves. The improvement only comes if we can collectively now afford to attract better players from elsewhere. 

Purely hypothetical but without £8M extra TV money would Derby have been able to splash out on Kenzo or the Swedish goalkeeper? 

What I’m saying has already happened in the PL and over a number of years has gained such momentum that no one can touch them. 

We could land up with a large/huge gap between Championship and L1. 

12 minutes ago, Ravanelli said:

higher wages simply means higher wages. It doesn't necessarily infer an increase in quality. As we see in the wider economy the link between productivity and wages is actually very thin.

In Germany, they were looking at something similar to Sky’s interference and the fans just caused mayhem by throwing tennis balls and gold chocolate coins on to the pitch.  Games were delayed and abandoned, and eventually damaged the changes that were planned.

Unless there is a country wide act of low level subordination to these deals, then we as fans will have absolutely zero say in the matter.

23 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

higher wages simply means higher wages. It doesn't necessarily infer an increase in quality. As we see in the wider economy the link between productivity and wages is actually very thin.

Totally agree. 35 years of giving my own staff pay rises has taught me that doesn’t make them better quality - as you say it just increases the wage bill. 

Quality only improves if we can now fish in bigger ponds. 

I read somewhere a few years back that us, Leeds, f0re5t always had the best viewing figures hence we were shown more than others. 

I’ll bet they see WBA as a favourite for promotion hence the early weighting in fixtures for them. 

37 minutes ago, Ravanelli said:

Totally agree. 35 years of giving my own staff pay rises has taught me that doesn’t make them better quality - as you say it just increases the wage bill. 

Quality only improves if we can now fish in bigger ponds. 

I tend to think this will simply lead to an inflationary effect across the market more widely. If we derby county were getting more money alone then this would hold well. However, we aren't- everyone else is too. The task simply remains the same... compete with a relatively small budget where we have to scout creatively to get best value for money. 

7 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

No doubt clubs receive more funding. But guess where that will very quickly disappear. Player wages and agents fees. Derby struggling to afford Championship strikers now (although we may yet be surprised) and the new deal isn’t going to change that. All clubs get a better deal on paper now, but it’s all relative and will be lost in player wage inflation. Clubs will also lose some match day revenue as folks less likely to attend Friday 8pm games. The net net is Sky may make some money, clubs may initially but it will quickly be bid out, fans will be inconvenienced, and I think the product overall is less exciting if games are going to be spread across the week.

Very little per game - it is more of a payment for the league (rather than games shown which is a change from previous contracts).

However─ assuming 20 are broadcast, it works out at c£450,000 per game shown.  For context, when the tax is considered, that is about the equivalent of a 30,000 attendance at £20 per ticket.