Recruitment Team

JHB

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And as I said, didn't the manager say he sees going out on loan to play 'men's football' as the first step.

As do most managers in the Premier League - that's why the EFL is overrun with high-level loanees, and not all of them go back to their own clubs never to play for them again. I'd say it's pretty much essential for forwards and defenders, because even at a higher level they're going to face physical, aggressive players.

EDIT - I should have said that it's often the Academy Manager who recommends a player for a loan out if they feel it would benefit the player.

Edited by Crewton

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

No so. 

How many of these did we loan to lower league before popping them into the first team...

Hendrick, Hughes, Knight, Sibley, Bird, Cashin, Bogle, Lowe, Buchanan, Ebiouwe, Plange.

By my recollection just one.

At Championship level the ones who are good enough often go straight into the team at around 19. 

Usually it's the ones we don't think will make it that get loaned out.

5 minutes ago, Crewton said:

As do most managers in the Premier League - that's why the EFL is overrun with high-level loanees, and not all of them go back to their own clubs never to play for them again. I'd say it's pretty much essential for forwards and defenders, because even at a higher level they're going to face physical, aggressive players.

EDIT - I should have said that it's often the Academy Manager who recommends a player for a loan out if they feel it would benefit the player.

I suppose we weren't in the Prem. 😄 My answer related to this point made earlier in the thread. 

As for who makes the decision about picking a player for the first team that is down to the manager isn't it?

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I suppose we weren't in the Prem. 😄 My answer related to this point made earlier in the thread. 

As for who makes the decision about picking a player for the first team that is down to the manager isn't it?

Of course it is, but if he did it without discussing it with the Academy coaches who know their players stage of development (or should) better than the first team manager, he'd be negligent in his duty of care to young players.

In any case, Academy teams play quite often against 'men' in friendlies and competitions like the Derbyshire Senior Cup, so it's not a major stretch to think that some can cope with playing more games against such opponents, is it?

22 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Of course it is, but if he did it without discussing it with the Academy coaches who know their players stage of development (or should) better than the first team manager, he'd be negligent in his duty of care to young players.

In any case, Academy teams play quite often against 'men' in friendlies and competitions like the Derbyshire Senior Cup, so it's not a major stretch to think that some can cope with playing more games against such opponents, is it?

No it's not, but that's not what Warne said is it. You seem to be arguing with yourself. 😄

In fairness so far under the recruitment team we have been shopping for freebies or at least very cheaply acquired out of contract players. The real time to see what they can bring to the club on an actual spending  budget, albeit probably still quite tight, is in the next few months leading up to the start of the season.(in my opinion )

On 30/04/2024 at 11:09, JHB said:

Am I imagining it or did we sign a recruitment expert from Oxford and a youth development guy from Southampton. When are their skills/worth going to come to the fore?

Having been decimated 2 years ago, take a look at how the 18s and 21s have improved over the season. 21s started with something like 7 straight defeats. Picked up in recent months. We're starting to see what they can put together.

They will now be in possession of a list of names and positions from PW. Let's see what transpires. 

• 1 month later...

With the signings made this summer so far. It again opens up to the question of what do the recruitment team actually do?

Jackson - Warne tried to sign him 6 years ago and kept in contact since.

Yates - Ex Rotherham

Osborn - Derby fan

By all accounts just players warne/club have previous connections to

With the latest backroom staff additions and Clowes interview yesterday going on about all the data they’ve looked at for new players, and how they want to replicate teams in the prem that use such methods (like Brentford/brighton) it doesn’t feel that way currently 

Have we even seen a data driven signing from Mark Thomas since he  came in?

Hopefully I can come back to this post in a couple weeks time and be proven wrong.  

1 minute ago, Jaso said:

With the signings made this summer so far. It again opens up to the question of what do the recruitment team actually do?

Yates - Ex Rotherham

Osborn - Derby fan

With the latest backroom staff additions and Clowes interview yesterday going on about all the data they’ve looked at for new players, and how they want to replicate teams in the prem that use such methods (like Brentford/brighton) it doesn’t feel that way currently 

Hopefully I can come back to this post in a couple weeks time and be proven wrong.  

The earlier deals will always be more than likely the easier deals so players the manager might know or a deal that’s been in the pipeline a while. The signings closer to the start of the season will more likely be the players we’ve been scouting etc.

15 minutes ago, Jaso said:

Yates - Ex Rotherham

Osborn - Derby fan

They fetch the coffee, fluff Warnes pillows, etc etc.

22 minutes ago, Jaso said:

Yates - Ex Rotherham

Osborn - Derby fan

It’s five years since Yates last played for Rotherham so I’m not sure being “ex Rotherham” is really that relevant.

Unless you’re suggesting Osborn contacted the club because he’s a Derby fan (incredibly unlikely I would have thought), then the fact that he’s a Derby fan is also irrelevant. 

27 minutes ago, Jaso said:

Osborn - Derby fan

What’s the relevance? Do you think he just called Warne up and said can you sign me please because I support Derby?

We’re back in the Championship and are going to need good Championship experience, you could maybe judge the recruitment at the start of September, not the beginning of July.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s five years since Yates last played for Rotherham so I’m not sure being “ex Rotherham” is really that relevant.

Unless you’re suggesting Osborn contacted the club because he’s a Derby fan (incredibly unlikely I would have thought), then the fact that he’s a Derby fan is also irrelevant. 

Who was manager at the time Yates was at Rotherham? 

Osborn being a Derby fan is not irrelevant as it’s widely known.

This could’ve easily been one reason why we may have reached out to signing him in the first place, to see if he was interested.

40 minutes ago, Jaso said:

Yates - Ex Rotherham

Osborn - Derby fan

This post is like 2 months too early.

2 minutes ago, Jaso said:

Who was manager at the time Yates was at Rotherham? 

Osborn being a Derby fan is not irrelevant as it’s widely known.

This could’ve easily been one reason why we may have reached out to signing him in the first place, to see if he was interested.

With the exception of an aging playing finishing his career at his boyhood club (playing at a much lower level than he’s been used to) e.g. McGoldrick, I’d be very surprised if “because they support the club” is on any manager’s or recruitment teams lists of criteria when scouting for new players.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

What’s the relevance? Do you think he just called Warne up and said can you sign me please because I support Derby?

We’re back in the Championship and are going to need good Championship experience, you could maybe judge the recruitment at the start of September, not the beginning of July.

Osborn had other options but chose derby as he had more motivation than if he chose elsewhere.

I suspect the reason for the added  motivation is him being a fan

His own words.

I agree with your point,  should probably hold back judgement until the start of September.

10 minutes ago, Jaso said:

Osborn had other options but chose derby as he had more motivation than if he chose elsewhere.

I suspect the reason for the added  motivation is him being a fan

His own words.

I agree with your point,  should probably hold back judgement until the start of September.

I don’t doubt that his affiliation with Derby was the/a reason for him choosing us, but how is that a criticism on the recruitment team? Unless I misread your post, it looks like you’re saying the only reason we identified him as a target is because he supports us.

I think the first two signings are promising. If we add Yates and that’s our last addition then yeah, we are probably in trouble. But I think the links and activity we’ve had so far is a good start and should hopefully be an exciting summer. 

On 30/04/2024 at 11:09, JHB said:

Am I imagining it or did we sign a recruitment expert from Oxford and a youth development guy from Southampton. When are their skills/worth going to come to the fore?

Looking at the improvements made in the 18s and 21s following their decimation during Admin, youth recruitment and development seems to be coming along fine. How much of that is down to Thomas, I don't know but he will have had at least a hand in it. The development will be down to Hale and his staff. 

IMO we can expect the young guns to be progressing through loans out over the next 2 seasons before being 1st XI ready. Hopefully we'll see some senior players coming in over the summer and January.

31 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Looking at the improvements made in the 18s and 21s following their decimation during Admin, youth recruitment and development seems to be coming along fine. How much of that is down to Thomas, I don't know but he will have had at least a hand in it. The development will be down to Hale and his staff. 

IMO we can expect the young guns to be progressing through loans out over the next 2 seasons before being 1st XI ready. Hopefully we'll see some senior players coming in over the summer and January.

Out of interest, anybody know what happened to Darren Wassall after he left us ?