Congrats from a Wanderer

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I like the importance of a clear headway between 3rd and 4th.  (Although 14pts seems a bit excessive?  9pts or more would indicate an adequate superiority to me).
And if that fails, I like that the lower placed team needs to beat the higher placed team (A draw is good enough for the higher team).  I'd stick with that, but scrap all extra time as well as the pens.

It's got potential.  👍

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Serie B promotion playoffs have some interesting emphasis on league position. It sounds complicated but it is not and at least the success during the season means something. Taken from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_B:

The top two teams are automatically promoted and the third-place team is only automatically promoted if they are more than 14 points clear of the fourth-placed team. If the third-place team is not more than 14 points clear of the fourth-place team then the teams from third-place to eighth-place enter a play-off to decide the final promotion spot.

The preliminary round between fifth and eighth and between sixth and seventh is a single match on the ground of the best placed in the regular season. In the event of a tie at the end of normal time, extra time will be played. If the game is still tied at the end of extra time, the highest-ranked team goes through, without taking a penalty shootout.

The semi-finals are a two-legged competition with a first leg at home for the teams that played in the preliminary round and a second leg at home for the third and fourth-placed teams in the regular season. In the event of a tie in the aggregate result, the best-ranked team in the regular season progresses to the final, without extra time and penalties.

The final is played between the winners of the semi-finals over two legs, the latter at the home of the best-placed team in the league. In the event of a tie, the best-placed team in the regular season is promoted to Serie A, without the need for extra time or penalties. If the two finalists have finished the regular season on equal points, the second leg includes extra time and penalties if required.

Edited by Tamworthram

21 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

1) I guess because teams nearly always pass it backwards straight away so why not change the rule to allow it? It was always a bit of a pointless exercise tapping it forward an inch or two so that another player could then pass it backwards.

2) I THINK I could (but that doesn't mean to say it's always implemented as you'd expect as some of it is subjective)

3) I don't have a problem with the new rules. If the play is stopped because of a suspected head injury, the ball hitting the referee etc why should the team in possession have to risk losing possession with a contested drop ball trough no fault of their own? The problem is that 1) referee's seem too keen to stop play even when it clearly isn't a head injury and 2) players abuse the rule by feigning an injury and lying prone on the floor.

4) Agreed. Bizarre rule change.

5) Duck knows. What's equally odd is why the managers rant at the fourth official for a decision that has gone against them even though they must know the fourth official can't do anything about it.

6) In principle, I don't think there is anything wrong with VAR but it does need some serious tweaks.

It’s an interesting system. Possibly the only thing I don’t like about it is the number of clubs involved. Whilst it may be a tall order (but as we know, anything can happen in a one off game and a much lower placed team may just be going into the play offs with momentum), it looks to me as if potentially, the team finishing 3rd could lose out to the team finishing 5 places and, god knows how many points, below them. There are only 20 teams in the league so, the team in 8th (just above mid table) could still get promoted.

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

It’s an interesting system. Possibly the only thing I don’t like about it is the number of clubs involved. Whilst it may be a tall order (but as we know, anything can happen in a one off game and a much lower placed team may just be going into the play offs with momentum), it looks to me as if potentially, the team finishing 3rd could lose out to the team finishing 5 places and, god knows how many points, below them. There are only 20 teams in the league so, the team in 8th (just above mid table) could still get promoted.

A bit messy with your quoting there, but yes, I'd agree.  8th place is too low for my liking too.  6th is more than enough, imo.  👍

7 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

I liked 3 up 3 down! Why don't they have a relegation playoff if it is such a good system, 3rd 4th, 5th and 6th from bottom play off, losers go to Wembley loser goes down! Simple! 👍

I don't think any team finishing so low should be rewarded with an opportunity to win at Wembley, and a heck of a great day out for their fans.

Just seems highly inappropriate/undeserving, to me.  🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

I don't think any team finishing so low should be rewarded with an opportunity to win at Wembley, and a heck of a great day out for their fans.

Just seems highly inappropriate/undeserving, to me.  🤷‍♂️

Lol, no more inappropriate than a team finishing 6th, 15 points or so behind 3rd place!! play it at the city ground then!! It would keep things interesting because more teams would have something to play for! 12 teams fighting to either go up or stay up and a few more on the periphery worrying! 

6 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

Lol, no more inappropriate than a team finishing 6th, 15 points or so behind 3rd place!! play it at the city ground then!! It would keep things interesting because more teams would have something to play for! 12 teams fighting to either go up or stay up and a few more on the periphery worrying! 

So 19th place is no less deserving than 6th?  Hmmm.

Hey, I'm not opposed to the theory, just the venue.  Maybe a two leg final home and away?  Or a neutral ground as you hint. 

I appreciate Wembley is not as "special" as it once was (Far from it!), but I'd say it was still too special for the "Loser's Winner's Cup"!  

West Ham, Cremonese, WBA & QPR in my portfolio. Mercifully, I missed Leicester because my wife was having an operation, and missed Villa because we booked a holiday with me convinced that we wouldn't win a final even if we got through.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

A bit messy with your quoting there, but yes, I'd agree.  8th place is too low for my liking too.  6th is more than enough, imo.  👍

I must be missing something. I’m not sure what’s messy about the quote.😀

46 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

It is less appropriate. A team finishing 22nd out of 24 have had a poor season and shouldn’t really be given another chance at avoiding the drop. Whereas a team finishing 6th out of 24 in the league below has done pretty well (albeit, not as well as the team finishing 3rd).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Serie B promotion playoffs have some interesting emphasis on league position. It sounds complicated but it is not and at least the success during the season means something. Taken from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_B:

The top two teams are automatically promoted and the third-place team is only automatically promoted if they are more than 14 points clear of the fourth-placed team. If the third-place team is not more than 14 points clear of the fourth-place team then the teams from third-place to eighth-place enter a play-off to decide the final promotion spot.

The preliminary round between fifth and eighth and between sixth and seventh is a single match on the ground of the best placed in the regular season. In the event of a tie at the end of normal time, extra time will be played. If the game is still tied at the end of extra time, the highest-ranked team goes through, without taking a penalty shootout.

The semi-finals are a two-legged competition with a first leg at home for the teams that played in the preliminary round and a second leg at home for the third and fourth-placed teams in the regular season. In the event of a tie in the aggregate result, the best-ranked team in the regular season progresses to the final, without extra time and penalties.

The final is played between the winners of the semi-finals over two legs, the latter at the home of the best-placed team in the league. In the event of a tie, the best-placed team in the regular season is promoted to Serie A, without the need for extra time or penalties. If the two finalists have finished the regular season on equal points, the second leg includes extra time and penalties if required.

Good shout Dimmu. I do like a lot of the Serie B format - particularly like the principle that the 3rd placed team has the opportunity to go up automatically but has to show real dominance to do so, that they have a big advantage over the other playoff teams should they need playoffs and that the higher placed team doesn't have to win the tie/onus is on lower placed team to actually win the tie. My Italian team (Bari) finished 3rd in Serie B last season, got past Sudtirol with a late equaliser in a home semifinal but then contrived to lose in the last minute to Claudio Ranieri's Cagliari (in front of 50k at the San Nicola in Bari) - couldn't begrudge Cagliari their promotion though & was certainly more deserving than a penalty shoot out win.

My only reservations in applying to English divisions are firstly that too many teams are involved (in Serie B, there is practically no such thing as safe midtable) - I struggle with the idea of an 8th placed team getting promoted so would restrict it to 3rd-6th placed as currently if playoffs are needed. I'd also probably tweak the 14 points needed by 3rd placed team to finish above 4th placed in order to get automatically promoted to something around the 9 point mark - given how tight some of the EFL divisions can be, 14 points is massive & I think any team finishing 10 points or more behind can't really argue that the 3rd placed team are clearly better.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

As someone else suggested somewhere else.

3rd goes straight to the final.

4th plays 7th, single game, 4th placed team at home.

5th plays 6th, single game, 5th placed team at home.

Winners of the two above games play off to play in final. Single game, highest placed in league at home.

Much more reward for league placing and goes a long way towards stopping what Peterborough did.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

As someone else suggested somewhere else.

3rd goes straight to the final.

4th plays 7th, single game, 4th placed team at home.

5th plays 6th, single game, 5th placed team at home.

Winners of the two above games play off to play in final. Single game, highest placed in league at home.

Much more reward for league placing and goes a long way towards stopping what Peterborough did.

Yep. That would get my vote.

The only question is, where would the final be? At Wembley or at the home of the team finishing 3rd? Obviously the latter option would give the top ranked team an earned advantage but I’d still opt for a Wembley final to a) make it a special occasion and b) ensure as many fans from both clubs could attend. Imagine if Oxford had finished 3rd and the attendance for the final was limited to less than 13,000?

I do like the idea of the 3rd place team earning automatic promotion if they finish far enough ahead of the team in 4th (maybe 9 points as another poster suggested) but, I doubt it would happen very often and the money men would never go for it and probably neither would the clubs.

Edited by Tamworthram

Some of the suggestions while they work from a "fairness" point of view could leave the 3rd place team without a game for 2-3 weeks which would actually prove to be a disadvantage.

I prefer something like the system they used in rugby league a few years back...

3rd v 4th, one-off game, winner progresses to final.

5th v 6th, one-off game, loser is out.

Loser of 3rd/4th v Winner of 5th/6th, one-off game, winner progresses to final.

Final at Wembley.

This covers all bases and give fair advantages for each league placing.

---

Its all pie in the sky though as the current system has been set in stone for so long that it won't change now.

On 09/05/2024 at 23:44, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Agreed,  It was a cash incentive for clubs at one time where wages weren't 20k a week for average Division 2 players and a chance for a team to avoid relegation.  The money lost if you finish 3rd and don't go up now is enormous.  That said, clubs will always stick with it whilst parachute payments exist as the chance of finishing in the top 3 without them is minimal- Ipswich accepted.  If those payments go or reduce greatly, making it a more level field, the play offs will go. 

I don’t mind the play offs it gives being in the chasing pack a worthy aim for more contenders. What has to go are parachute payments. If clubs can’t write players contracts to allow for relegation then they need new lawyers. It’s dumb, it unbalances the championship. Just not on, a handful of clubs getting a vast income advantage year on year. 

I’ve never been a fan of the play-offs but they do add some excitement to the end of the season.  I’d prefer a variation on the original format.  Using the PL and Championship as examples, 3rd and 4th bottom play each other over 2 legs, winner stays up.  3rd and 4th place in the Championship do the same.  The loser of the 2 PL teams and the winner of the 2 Championship teams then play each other in the final, winner is in the PL.

• 2 weeks later...