Rate the 23/24 signings

Scores based on what have they contributed so far, relative to their maximum potential contribution since signing......not just on how good I think they are........or what they may contribute in future.

A lot of the non-contribution is a result of injury - we could have signed Mbappe and he could have got injured after 1 game and in my book that would have made him a 1/10

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson...9/10.....couple of iffy games early on and then magnificent. Always fit
Callum Elder.....3/10......often injured.....poor in early games.....very promising in later games.....much higher hopes for next season
Joe Ward.....4/10........really like him, season badly affected by injury. Some costly pens against but coming very good before latest injury
Sonny Bradley....5/10...awful start, slow re-integration but coming good. Always fit
Josh Vickers......5/10.....good back-up. Harsh to give a 5 but he's hardly played.
Kane Wilson.....7.5/10.....completely smashed my expectations after a poor start (v Blackpool?). Always fit
Martyn Waghorn.....4/10.......10/10 v Posh away, injured then not regained any sort of form
Conor Washington....4/10.....lively, committed but big injury lay-off 
Tyrese Fornah......2/10.......probably a good player in there but clearly not PW's cup of tea so not contributed much
Elliot Embleton......1/10......almost N/A because of injury
Ryan Nyambe........4.5/10....best defensive full back in the league when not injured or at Afcon
Tyreece John-Jules....2/10......classy touches and a goal at PV but not fit enough for long enough

Winter:

Ebou Adams.....9/10.....Best new signing of the season. Always fit
Dwight Gayle.....5/10.....if he'd stayed fit I'm sure I'd have given him an 8 or 9 and we'd already be up
Corey Blackett-Taylor.....2/10.....genuinely hope he comes good and has shown glimpses of what he can do
Max Bird*.....5/10.....been injured a lot since  'coming back' on loan

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.....7.5/10.....A bit down on form since contract extension but still fantastic. Always fit
Eiran Cashin....9/10......Excellent. Always fit. Best signing of the season. Great player or megabucks for the club next season.
Jake Rooney.....N/A.....if he can live with the pace of the Champ (fingers crossed) he'll be a big asset. My worry is he's too slow.

2 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Scores based on what have they contributed so far, relative to their maximum potential contribution since signing......not just on how good I think they are........or what they may contribute in future.

A lot of the non-contribution is a result of injury - we could have signed Mbappe and he could have got injured after 1 game and in my book that would have made him a 1/10

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson...9/10.....couple of iffy games early on and then magnificent. Always fit
Callum Elder.....3/10......often injured.....poor in early games.....very promising in later games.....much higher hopes for next season
Joe Ward.....4/10........really like him, season badly affected by injury. Some costly pens against but coming very good before latest injury
Sonny Bradley....5/10...awful start, slow re-integration but coming good. Always fit
Josh Vickers......5/10.....good back-up. Harsh to give a 5 but he's hardly played.
Kane Wilson.....7.5/10.....completely smashed my expectations after a poor start (v Blackpool?). Always fit
Martyn Waghorn.....4/10.......10/10 v Posh away, injured then not regained any sort of form
Conor Washington....4/10.....lively, committed but big injury lay-off 
Tyrese Fornah......2/10.......probably a good player in there but clearly not PW's cup of tea so not contributed much
Elliot Embleton......1/10......almost N/A because of injury
Ryan Nyambe........4.5/10....best defensive full back in the league when not injured or at Afcon
Tyreece John-Jules....2/10......classy touches and a goal at PV but not fit enough for long enough

Winter:

Ebou Adams.....9/10.....Best new signing of the season. Always fit
Dwight Gayle.....5/10.....if he'd stayed fit I'm sure I'd have given him an 8 or 9 and we'd already be up
Corey Blackett-Taylor.....2/10.....genuinely hope he comes good and has shown glimpses of what he can do
Max Bird*.....5/10.....been injured a lot since  'coming back' on loan

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.....7.5/10.....A bit down on form since contract extension but still fantastic. Always fit
Eiran Cashin....9/10......Excellent. Always fit. Best signing of the season. Great player or megabucks for the club next season.
Jake Rooney.....N/A.....if he can live with the pace of the Champ (fingers crossed) he'll be a big asset. My worry is he's too slow.

You are Craig Revel Horwood and I claim my £5.

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson 10
Callum Elder 4
Joe Ward 7
Sonny Bradley 6
Josh Vickers 6
Kane Wilson 8
Martyn Waghorn 5
Conor Washington 5
Tyrese Fornah 5
Elliot Embleton 1
Ryan Nyambe 8
Tyreece John-Jules 5

Winter:

Ebou Adams 10
Dwight Gayle 7
Corey Blackett-Taylor 5
Max Bird* 7

Curtis Nelson - 10 Immaculate since September
Callum Elder - 5 Started poorly, picked up but do often injured.
Joe Ward - 6 Can't play FB. Crossing from the gods.
Sonny Bradley - 6 redeemed himself to a degree.
Josh Vickers - 8 done well when called upon
Kane Wilson - 7 Can't play FB. Dribbling from the gods.

Martyn Waghorn - 6 looked class early doors, willing, but so often injured.
Conor Washington - 6 looked a pacy threat when fit, but so often injured.
Tyrese Fornah - 5 Where did the Blackpool away form go? Disappointing 

Elliot Embleton N/a...too little evidence
Ryan Nyambe 9 Strength, calm. Proper player...shame about the injury. 
Tyreece John-Jules 6 clearly a player. Always injured.

Winter:

Ebou Adams 11. Best loan since Leon Osman.
Dwight Gayle 7bit of class, but....injured
Corey Blackett-Taylor Can I plead the 5th? No? O.K. 3 - one or two flashes aside he's been awful.
Max Bird* 7 dependable on the ball. Injured.

*I've included Max, as I feel it was crucial we had him to the end of the season.

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing 10. Carries so much threat.
Eiran Cashin 10. Nuff said.
Jake Rooney 8. looked a player until Bkackpool

21 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Interesting on the first bit, have you marked Ward lower than Elder by virtue of his lack of availability? I thought the same, but Ward's had the more obvious contributions IMO, plus he's a little younger.

Couldn't agree more with the second part. Suspect it's a lot to do with still having to rummage in the clearance bin, but still place a little bit of blame on Warne's head for the selections. That said, he deserves a lot of credit for still getting us to 2nd with all that disruption to key players.

Ward lower due to defensive blunders. Elder hasn't made them. If both were fully fit I'd think Ward might edge it IF he's played in a more forward role

Summer:

Curtis Nelson: 10 Mr Consistent.

Callum Elder: 6 Fair few injuries, hot and cold when he plays.

Joe Ward  6.5 couple of really dodgy tackles and lots of injuries, but been a real asset in a few games.

Sonny Bradley 6 terrible start, loses his composure, but srill a decent option at times.

Josh Vickers: 6 decent back up

Kane Wilson: 8 gets you on your feet, crucial goals and versatile.

Martyn Waghorn : 4 great start, then been a passenger 

Conor Washington : 3 injury prone and less effective when playing than I'd hoped

Tyrese Fornah : 4 couple of good games, then disappeared,  bit odd.

Elliot Embleton 0.

Ryan Nyambe : 7 looked great defensively, and part of our good run..but we've coped without him.

Tyreece John-Jules : 3  bit part at best.

Winter:

Ebou Adams 10/10 without him,  no promotion. 

Dwight Gayle  : 6 haven't been as massively impressed as other's seem to have been, but he was definitely needed.

Corey Blackett-Taylor : 2 hopes abound for next season,  but for this season I'm really underwhelmed.

Max Bird  5 - couple of great games on his return, then faded/injured.

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson 8
Callum Elder 4
Joe Ward 6
Sonny Bradley 5
Josh Vickers 5
Kane Wilson 7
Martyn Waghorn 6
Conor Washington 5
Tyrese Fornah 4
Elliot Embleton 1
Ryan Nyambe 8
Tyreece John-Jules 6

Winter:

Ebou Adams 9
Dwight Gayle 8
Corey Blackett-Taylor 5
Max Bird* 6

*I've included Max, as I feel it was crucial we had him to the end of the season.

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing 8
Eiran Cashin 10
Jake Rooney 6

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson 10

Callum Elder 6

Joe Ward 8

Sonny Bradley 7

Josh Vickers 7

Kane Wilson 10

Martyn Waghorn 7

Conor Washington 6

Tyrese Fornah 5

Elliot Embleton 2 

Ryan Nyambe 8

Tyreece John-Jules 6

Winter:

Ebou Adams 10

Dwight Gayle 6

Corey Blackett-Taylor 7

Max Bird* 9

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson 10 - near faultless and free, our best bit of business

Callum Elder 6 - not managed many games but when he's come in he's shown something

Joe Ward 7 - patchy early doors but grew into an important player toward the end of the season 

Sonny Bradley 6 - same as Ward really, I'd written him off by January but was what we needed this past month. Lower mark as the start of his time here was woeful

Josh Vickers 6 - decent back up keeper

Kane Wilson 8 - rough diamond to an extent but already a good acquisition and still time to grow

Martyn Waghorn 6 - not really hit the heights but that hattrick was pretty spectacular and quite important

Conor Washington 5 - Very limited moments, have to score him lower than Waggy as a higher fee and less goals

Tyrese Fornah 5 - When we needed something else in midfield he wasn't capable of stepping up

Elliot Embleton - NA

Ryan Nyambe 9 - Lovely signing on a free, shame his season was curtailed, but consultant and ready to step up a league

Tyreece John-Jules 5 - Gamble didn't really work. Never got going

Winter:

Ebou Adams 10 - in that bracket of loanees like Osman and West that single handedly change a season. Love the sight of him celebrating winning tackles or free kicks. Sign him up

Dwight Gayle 7 - May have been somewhat brief but very important goals

Corey Blackett-Taylor 5 - Expected a second NML, very disappointed apart from rare moments. Hopefully a full preseason will see us get nite 

Max Bird* 7 - stepped up a level after being sold, and showed whaf he could be

Curtis Nelson 10

Callum Elder 5
Joe Ward 6
Sonny Bradley 5
Josh Vickers 5
Kane Wilson 6
Martyn Waghorn 5
Conor Washington 5
Tyrese Fornah 5
Elliot Embleton - cant really rate him
Ryan Nyambe 6
Tyreece John-Jules 5

Winter:

Ebou Adams 9
Dwight Gayle 6
Corey Blackett-Taylor 5
Max Bird - doesnt really feel right rating him as it wasn't really a signing. 

I think a lot of them haven't been given a chance to score higher due to injuries etc and for some of them that was predictable given their profiles. Most of them have played a part in this promotion to which they deserve credit but overall quite a lot of so-so signings. Nelson the obvious exception from the summer. 

Curtis Nelson: 9/10 - Shaky opening few games, but an absolulte rock thereafter. Fully deserved his POTY award
Callum Elder: 6/10 - Decent(ish) performer at this level but injuries haven't helped.
Joe Ward: 7/10 - Been good when played at RWB, not so much when he's played elsewhere. Fantastic Crosser mind...
Sonny Bradley: 6/10 - Jury's still out for me. Looked like a shadow of the player has was at Luton early on but grew as the season progressed. Glad his stupid Red Card at Northampton didn't cost us dearly.
Josh Vickers: 6/10 - Able deputy but no more than that.
Kane Wilson: 8/10 - Impressive. Always looked lively when he played and chipped in with a few vital goals
Martyn Waghorn: 4/10 - Started brightly but faded into obscurity as the season progressed. Not one for Championship.
Conor Washington: 4/10 Underwhelming signing and proved to be just that. Too old and too inconsistent, the 3 goals says it all really.
Tyrese Fornah: 6/10 - A strange one. Looked promising when he first signed then got injured, been on the fringes ever since.
Elliot Embleton: N/A
Ryan Nyambe: 8/10 - Can't remember him having a bad game, very good defensively and I'm glad we tied him down on a longer contract.
Tyreece John-Jules: 3/10 - Not for me I'm afraid, shows flashes but far too injury prone. Why we didn't cancel his loan when he got injured a second time is beyond me.

Winter:

Ebou Adams: 10/10 - The best loan signing we've ever had imo and I remember Leon Osman! Alsolutely key to our promotion push and it's imperitive that we sign him perminately.
Dwight Gayle: 7/10 - Bagged some vital goals for us and always looked a threat. Whether he can do it in the Championship is another question...
Corey Blackett-Taylor: 5/10 - excited when he joined but very disappointing so far & that miss at Wycombe wouldn't have helped his confidence. Let's see what he can do with a full pre-season with Warne under his belt.
Max Bird: 8/10 - Will miss him in that Midlfield. Perfect way to sign off his Derby career.

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing: 9/10 - Vital we tied him down to a new deal and looking forward to what he can do in the Championship. More than capable of give teams in that league problems.
Eiran Cashin: 9/10 - Honestly though he'd go to Brighton in January so I'm delighted he's committed to us. Puts us in a stong postion financially if clubs come sniffing in the Summer.
Jake Rooney: 6/10 - Not sure he's suited for the Championship, but always good to get our young players tied down.

After 20 votes...

It'll be no surprise to anyone that Ebou Adams and Curtis Nelson came out the top 2. (ave 9.53 and 9.45, respectively)

Embleton came out as the worst.

1. Adams
  2. Nelson
  3. Wilson
  4. Nyambe
  5. Gayle
  6. Bird
  7. Ward
  8. Vickers
  9. Bradley
  10. Waghorn
  11. Elder
  12. Blackett-Taylor
  13. John-Jules
  14. Washington
  15. Fornah
  16. Embleton

Curtis Nelson 8.  Very solid performer - if he was a young find  he'd be higher but we signed him in his prime so that limits sell on potential. 

Callum Elder.    4.  Never really got going - maybe a bit unlucky but probably behind Sibley and Fozzy for me

Joe Ward.  4.    Crosses a good ball and a great first touch  but another that's never really got going.  Not convinced he can defend but time may tell

Sonny Bradley. 4.   For the wages he's on and his age what he's provided has been the bare minimum.    Probably will score higher than 4 for most based on recent form .

Josh Vickers. 5. Looked competent when needed

Kane Wilson.     7.  Right age, very skillful, bit of pace. Just a question mark over end product.   

Martyn Waghorn.     3.5.   Made a difference when needed early on.   Unlucky with injury

Conor Washington.  3  Unlucky with injury - not really looked the part - presume he is on good money 

Tyrese Fornah.  5.    Think he deserved more of a chance - however can only rate him 5 based on his contribution.   Still think he can be an Ebou Adams

Elliot Embleton. 1.  Waste of money

Ryan Nyambe.    7.   Easy to forget how good he looked before he got injured.   One that can certainly play in the Championship

Tyreece John-Jules.  3.   Huge risk that didn't pay off.   

Winter:

Ebou Adams.  9. 

Dwight Gayle.  6.   Ok got injured but if we hadn't signed him we might be looking at play offs 

Corey Blackett-Taylor.   5.  I assume he has potential based on his stats and a couple of cameos.    Was supposed to be the difference maker - we don't know why he got so little game time 

Max Bird*.    7.   

Extensions:

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing.   8. 

Eiran Cashin.  9.  Now we've gone up if we do sell it wont be for peanuts - or we have a good Championship kevel player

Jake Rooney  7.  

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson                   9
Callum Elder                    5.5
Joe Ward                          6.5
Sonny Bradley                  6.5
Josh Vickers                     6
Kane Wilson                      7 
Martyn Waghorn               6
Conor Washington            5.5 
Tyrese Fornah                   5.5
Elliot Embleton                  Who?
Ryan Nyambe                    7.5
Tyreece John-Jules          6

Winter:

Ebou Adams                       9
Dwight Gayle                      7
Corey Blackett-Taylor        6.5
Max Bird*                           7.5

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing   7.5
Eiran Cashin                       8.5
Jake Rooney                       6

* scoring is based on performances and is not affected by non-availability due to injury.

On 25/04/2024 at 11:10, MadAmster said:

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson 8 solid as a rock
Callum Elder 6 sick note so far. Done OK when fit
Joe Ward 5.5 injured too often far better going forward than defending
Sonny Bradley 6 poor start but has been a rock of late barring that stupid sending off
Josh Vickers 6 solid #2
Kane Wilson 7 Mr twinkle toes. Better defender than Ward and at least as good going forward
Martyn Waghorn 5.5 good start to the season then injured for a long time. Average since his return
Conor Washington 5.5 Another whose season has been blighted by injury
Tyrese Fornah 5 promising start but faded
Elliot Embleton 2 Just the 1 appearance before a serious injury ended his season
Ryan Nyambe 7 excellent until injured
Tyreece John-Jules 4 another with a season ruined by injuries. When fit he looks very good. I'd only gamble on him getting an offer for next season provided he got a very low basic wage, extra if fit but not selected, extra on the bench, extra if subbed on, extra if he starts. One season with options.

Winter:

Ebou Adams 8 The MF rock we were missing
Dwight Gayle 7 6 appearances 3 goals..... then injured.
Corey Blackett-Taylor 5 injured when he arrived. has shown flashes of why we bought him We''ll see the best if him next season.
Max Bird 5 was a 6.5 to 7 but then out injured

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing 6.5 was playing brilliantly but been off it for a few weeks now. That seems to have coincided with playing up top in a 2 rather than out wide where he was excellent, IMO.
Eiran Cashin 8 A rock.

Frightening how many players of ours have had their season either disrupted or ruined by injury. Most weren't "right" when they came and stayed that way. Hopefully the new crop this summer won't be recovering crocks. Shouldn't be as we will see income go up from around £20M to around the £30M mark and we should be able to get players in the 24 to 29 age range that Warne so desperately wants to replace the wrinklies in the squad.

Ebou adams a 8? What would a 9/10 look like to you?! 😂

Curtis Nelson - 10 what a player 
Callum Elder - 6 was good in spells but injured too much 
Joe Ward - 6.5 was improving second half of the season majorly 
Sonny Bradley - 7 would of been a 4 but since January he’s been excellent 
Josh Vickers - 6 
Kane Wilson - 7.5 good player, a bit raw but he’s young and looks like he could improve 
Martyn Waghorn - 6.5 he was a very cheap deal and won us a few games in the first half of the season, non existent past Christmas 
Conor Washington - 4
Tyrese Fornah - 4.5
Elliot Embleton - N/A
Ryan Nyambe - 8 very good player 
Tyreece John-Jules - 6 unlucky kid 

Winter:

Ebou Adams - 10 unbelievable 
Dwight Gayle - 8 got us through a tough spell on a free 
Corey Blackett-Taylor - 6 think he’ll come good 
Max Bird* - 8.5 was so good second half of the season, if he didn’t get injured we actually could have won the league 

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing - 9 been great for us this season 
Eiran Cashin - 10 I’d keep him till he retired what a man 
Jake Rooney  - 8 think he has a bright future 

Curtis Nelson: 9
Callum Elder: 5
Joe Ward: 6
Sonny Bradley: 6
Josh Vickers: 6
Kane Wilson: 7
Martyn Waghorn: 5
Conor Washington: 5 
Tyrese Fornah: 4
Elliot Embleton: 1
Ryan Nyambe: 8
Tyreece John-Jules: 4

Winter:

Ebou Adams: 9 
Dwight Gayle: 7
Corey Blackett-Taylor: 5
Max Bird*: 7

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing: 9
Eiran Cashin: 9
Jake Rooney: 5

Curtis Nelson 10 - what a signing he has been.

Callum Elder 4 - just hadn’t really played or been fit enough to score any higher. I’m sure would have scored higher if had played more games

Joe Ward 6 - seemed to jump between looking a liability and excellent with little in between

Sonny Bradley 6 - terrible start but did come good in the end.  

Josh Vickers 5 - didn’t really play enough games to really prove his worth. Never looked as good as wildsmith though

Kane Wilson 8 - solid decent signing  

Martyn Waghorn 5 - too many injuries. Missed too many sitters

Conor Washington 4 - see above

Tyrese Fornah 1 - I honestly think he is one of the worst signing i’ve seen. If he’s a footballer, i’m a banana

Elliot Embleton n/a

Ryan Nyambe 7 - looked really good. Shame about the injuries

Tyreece John-Jules 4 - promises a lot but didn’t deliver

Winter:

Ebou Adams 10 - would have won player of the season had he come in earlier  

Dwight Gayle 6 - just added that bit of class up front when we needed it. I think could still do a job in the championship

Corey Blackett-Taylor 4 - for some reason I think he’s really lacking confidence. If he has a good run of games and scores a couple I think he could look a different player  

On 25/04/2024 at 10:46, Animal is a Ram said:

Summer window:

Curtis Nelson 9 
Callum Elder 5
Joe Ward 5
Sonny Bradley 5
Josh Vickers hard to judge
Kane Wilson 6
Martyn Waghorn 5
Conor Washington 4
Tyrese Fornah 3
Elliot Embleton 3
Ryan Nyambe 7
Tyreece John-Jules 4

Winter:

Ebou Adams 9
Dwight Gayle 7
Corey Blackett-Taylor 5
Max Bird* n/a

Extensions:
Nathaniel Mendez-Laing
Eiran Cashin
Jake Rooney  

Ratings out of 10, please. I might do some statistical analysis.