League One Play-Off Dates Confirmed

38 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just passing Wembley on the 🚂. If offered now who would take a play off final opportunity to get out of this wonderful league 😊

No thanks 1st,2nd or 7th and go again.  Playoffs are a ridiculous out of date system where we may be finishing 7 wins above the 6th place team and not getting promoted.  TOP 3 promoted, playoffs in the bin.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No no no….keeps the season alive for so many teams.

There's no reward for finishing 3rd .  The system was designed to keep at team that finished third from bottom in the first division an unfair opportunity to stay up at the expense of another.  It was accepted by clubs outside as the chance to make a decent chunk of money over 3 games when wages weren't insane about 35 years ago.  The risk and reward is no longer there.  If your finishing 6 wins ahead of a side it really isn't fair.  It's fun if your finishing 6th and upset the odds but that's it.  At the very least it should be adapted so finishing 3rd guarantees a Wembley spot and 4th and 5th battle it out.  Never liked it and if you lose it can really set a club back moral wise for a couple of seasons.  Bin it for me. Bloody thing

39 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Never liked it and if you lose it can really set a club back moral wise for a couple of seasons.  Bin it for me. Bloody thing

I shouldn't worry too much about that.

Most folk in the outside world already see Derby County as being as immoral as they come!  👀

50 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There's no reward for finishing 3rd .  The system was designed to keep at team that finished third from bottom in the first division an unfair opportunity to stay up at the expense of another.  It was accepted by clubs outside as the chance to make a decent chunk of money over 3 games when wages weren't insane about 35 years ago.  The risk and reward is no longer there.  If your finishing 6 wins ahead of a side it really isn't fair.  It's fun if your finishing 6th and upset the odds but that's it.  At the very least it should be adapted so finishing 3rd guarantees a Wembley spot and 4th and 5th battle it out.  Never liked it and if you lose it can really set a club back moral wise for a couple of seasons.  Bin it for me. Bloody thing

I really disagree with your theory as to why play offs were introduced. Surely they were introduced to a) generate more income and b) keep the season interesting for as many clubs as possible for as long as possible. 

It’s tough on the team that finishes third (especially if they finish comfortably above the teams below them) but it’s the system we’ve got and, on balance, I’m happy with it. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Just passing Wembley on the 🚂. If offered now who would take a play off final opportunity to get out of this wonderful league 😊

Absolutely not at the moment. Not whilst we’re, along with Pompey, in pole position for the auto’s. 

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I really disagree with your theory as to why play offs were introduced. Surely they were introduced to a) generate more income and b) keep the season interesting for as many clubs as possible for as long as possible. 

It’s tough on the team that finishes third (especially if they finish comfortably above the teams below them) but it’s the system we’ve got and, on balance, I’m happy with it. 

Back in the day Charlton, Chelsea etc stayed in the first division when they should really have got relegated.  Their only interest in the playoffs would have been to preserve a first division place.  When the average 2nd division wage at that time was probably 40 k a year, possibly less, I can see that for a team that finished 3rd a huge cash bonus over 3 games and maybe promotion at the end was worth a pocket the cash and go again scenario.

Makes no sense at all now from a money perspective to forego an automatic promotion to take part in a lottery.

39 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Back in the day Charlton, Chelsea etc stayed in the first division when they should really have got relegated.  Their only interest in the playoffs would have been to preserve a first division place.  When the average 2nd division wage at that time was probably 40 k a year, possibly less, I can see that for a team that finished 3rd a huge cash bonus over 3 games and maybe promotion at the end was worth a pocket the cash and go again scenario.

Makes no sense at all now from a money perspective to forego an automatic promotion to take part in a lottery.

I would imagine it’s never been the case that a team finishing third would rather forego an automatic promotion place in order to take part in the play offs regardless of how wages have changed. Given no club can reasonably expect to finish third, I think it  makes perfect sense for them to want to keep the play offs. Even the Premier League teams relegated to the Championship would probably prefer to retain the existing system because of the risk that they might just miss out on a top three place. As long as they make the play offs they are probably still favourites to go back up even if they don’t finish third. It wouldn’t be the cash bonus that attracts them (especially as the tradition is that the losing team at Wembley gets all of the team shares of the gate receipt) but rather the chance of a get out jail free card if they just fall short.

I don’t know if or when the system was voted in by the clubs or what the split was between those in favour v those against but, I would suspect the vast majority voted in favour because of the reason I stated. 

As already stated, playoffs keep quite a few clubs' fans interested virtually up until the final matches. However, there should be a greater advantage in the playoffs to finishing 3rd rather than 6th.

I would end the finals being played at Wembley. Have 3rd home to 6th and 4th home to 5th then the team which finished highest at season end gets home advantage for the deciding game.

This season, given our home and away records and assuming we didn’t make automatic (which we will), we'd be better off finishing 6th. All pie in the SKY anyway because if it doesn't suit the paymasters (TV) then it won't happen. 

40 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

As already stated, playoffs keep quite a few clubs' fans interested virtually up until the final matches. However, there should be a greater advantage in the playoffs to finishing 3rd rather than 6th.

I would end the finals being played at Wembley. Have 3rd home to 6th and 4th home to 5th then the team which finished highest at season end gets home advantage for the deciding game.

This season, given our home and away records and assuming we didn’t make automatic (which we will), we'd be better off finishing 6th. All pie in the SKY anyway because if it doesn't suit the paymasters (TV) then it won't happen. 

And Wembley Ltd have got to pay for that expensive stadium somehow! 

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I would imagine it’s never been the case that a team finishing third would rather forego an automatic promotion place in order to take part in the play offs regardless of how wages have changed. Given no club can reasonably expect to finish third, I think it  makes perfect sense for them to want to keep the play offs. Even the Premier League teams relegated to the Championship would probably prefer to retain the existing system because of the risk that they might just miss out on a top three place. As long as they make the play offs they are probably still favourites to go back up even if they don’t finish third. It wouldn’t be the cash bonus that attracts them (especially as the tradition is that the losing team at Wembley gets all of the team shares of the gate receipt) but rather the chance of a get out jail free card if they just fall short.

I don’t know if or when the system was voted in by the clubs or what the split was between those in favour v those against but, I would suspect the vast majority voted in favour because of the reason I stated. 

It was a very barren time in terms of attendances in the 80's and those grounds weren't getter any younger, wages were probably 10% of what they are now and their was no cash incentive to get promoted, you were on your own.  You also had a better chance of avoiding relegation on promotion with such a system in place. 

We'll have to beg to differ on that. i suppose.

8 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Agree. All the teams know the rules.