FANS FORUMS

Just got back from a holiday in the Canary Islands and managed to keep abreast of what has been happening despite dodgy Wi-Fi in the hotel. Results went our way on Wednesday and at the airport yesterday (with good Wi-Fi) I had a look at the Peterborough Fans Forum LondonRoad.Net to gauge what the fans reaction was to their mini-slump

Generally, very surprised it just like on here, one iffy result and it’s all doom and gloom. “Automatics are over”, “lucky if we make the playoffs” “no team spirit” “only 2 or 3 of the players are trying” “the manager (Ferguson) is at fault)” “ he isn’t proactive enough with his substitutions” etc etc etc. Ring any bells!

Title also appears that they have a few financial problems they need to clear up, with loans etc to buy their ground. This a Club, everyone said a few weeks ago was the best they had seen this season. What a difference 2 or 3 games can make at this stage of the season.

interesting and worth a read , if you have some spare time.

just shows this Forum is like most others, with members having hugely different views, levels of expectation and self doubt and confidence. Some who won’t be shifted from their views and others with more realism and balance (or naivety).

Keep the faith.

2 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Just got back from a holiday in the Canary Islands and managed to keep abreast of what has been happening despite dodgy Wi-Fi in the hotel. Results went our way on Wednesday and at the airport yesterday (with good Wi-Fi) I had a look at the Peterborough Fans Forum LondonRoad.Net to gauge what the fans reaction was to their mini-slump

Generally, very surprised it just like on here, one iffy result and it’s all doom and gloom. “Automatics are over”, “lucky if we make the playoffs” “no team spirit” “only 2 or 3 of the players are trying” “the manager (Ferguson) is at fault)” “ he isn’t proactive enough with his substitutions” etc etc etc. Ring any bells!

Title also appears that they have a few financial problems they need to clear up, with loans etc to buy their ground. This a Club, everyone said a few weeks ago was the best they had seen this season. What a difference 2 or 3 games can make at this stage of the season.

just shows this Forum is like most others, with members having hugely different views, levels of expectation and self doubt and confidence. Some who won’t be shifted from their views and others with more realism and balance (or naivety).

Keep the faith.

Just like with us, it isn't just 1 game - Peterborough have picked up just 1 point from the last 9 and 9 points from the last 24 (we picked up 6 points from 15 during January before winning against Cheltenham).

They were reliant on keeping their first team fit, but have lost their best RB (recalled by Rotherham) and Poku has been injured for a few games and will still be out for a few more. Their lack of squad depth is finally being tested for the first time this season.

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just like with us, it isn't just 1 game - Peterborough have picked up just 1 point from the last 9 and 9 points from the last 24 (we picked up 6 points from 15 during January before winning against Cheltenham).

They were reliant on keeping their first team fit, but have lost their best RB (recalled by Rotherham) and Poku has been injured for a few games and will still be out for a few more. Their lack of squad depth is finally being tested for the first time this season.

I think the point of the opening post though is Peteborough are having a dodgy patch, for the valid reasons you outlined, yet their forum seems to be having a similar sounding meltdown.

Our sticky patch coincided when we lost both starting full backs, plus one fit forward means no fresh legs to change things up front. Early days, but Adams in front of that back 3 we saw on Saturday could solve our fullback issues.

Edited by ariotofmyown

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You are right, there were criticisms that they appeared to be more concerned with keeping their squad over the transfer window rather than strengthening. Mason-Clarke sold but loaned back. The one player they did get in  Olakibe was sent off on Wednesday and fans deem him “rubbish”. They apparently turned down bids for some of their other “stars” (Edwards, Burrows -“have they had their heads turned” - sounds familiar). They play Wycombe tomorrow who are one of their bogey sides, so that could be interesting.

30 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Keep the faith.

Results were even better on Tuesday 😀

Seriously though, I’ve been saying it for a long time that we’re no different to most clubs supporters every time I read things like “typical of Derby fans” or reading things like the behaviour of some of our fan base away from home, any lack of atmosphere at home, getting on players backs etc. etc.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Results were even better on Tuesday 😀

Seriously though, I’ve been saying it for a long time that we’re no different to most clubs supporters every time I read things like “typical of Derby fans” or reading things like the behaviour of some of our fan base away from home, any lack of atmosphere at home, getting on players backs etc. etc.

True, the only real differences we have to other clubs are..

Refs are always against us

We don't get enough coverage in the media

Sky hate us

We have loads more bad luck than other clubs

We have better, more supportive fans then everyone else

Our squad is always much better than everyone elses, except for the odd season when our squad is much worse than everyone elses

We always get terrible owners

Our rightful place is at least challenging for European places in the Premier League

We don't have delusions of grandeur like most other club's supporters

We historically play better football than nearly all teams

Any of our of fans who could be prone to violence would only ever be defending themselves. Was always such.

I imagine all forums are the same.

I'd actually say the reason why ours can be so infuriating at times is because of the bigger fan base. Passionate fans who want to see Derby back fighting at the top. Also the fact that this forum is run to a very high standard and doesn't look like its ran on a potato.

17 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sky hate us

Our squad is always much better than everyone elses, except for the odd season when our squad is much worse than everyone elses

Our rightful place is at least challenging for European places in the Premier League

Any of our of fans who could be prone to violence would only ever be defending themselves. Was always such.

The crazy thing is, I imagine there of plenty that actually believe some/all of the above to be true.😊

Social media for you, people think too much now and always look for the negatives. Football is always about the ups and downs, but expectations by the vocal majority seem to be to win every game with Tika taka football, playing the youngsters, writing players off after a few months and recruiting the next Bellingham for a fiver without a bobble hat in sight.

I mean after all it's easy on FM24 and with the stats available now, you dont have to leave your armchair to know if a player is good or not.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Are you suggesting that Posh fans are right to be mithering then? I think you've provided the wrong example, have you not? Yes, you and others were mithering (and some continue to), during the poor run in January, but remind me, where do we sit now?

I think you were in such a hurry to defend a position, that you've answered a question nobody asked.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They were reliant on keeping their first team fit, but have lost their best RB (recalled by Rotherham) and Poku has been injured for a few games and will still be out for a few more.

While we had lost 3 of our starting back 5 and and ended up with Collo as our only fit striker, then been unable to recruit cover during the window. Every team has injuries and we've had plenty ourselves, let's not pretend otherwise. 

Edited by Comrade 86

Perhaps a naive football purist, but I thought Peterborough were superb at our place. It's clear the lack of experience in their side is their downfall at times when it comes to game management, only need to see the away game, but providing they steer clear of high numbers of injuries or long term injuries to key players, I'd expect them to be right in the mix for the top 2. I certainly wouldn't want them in the play offs at all but the contrast in style and age demographic between the two teams can either work for or against you in those games. However, if you forced me to watch a league 1 game every week excluding us, I'd pick them

No matter where you are in the football ladder, you will get the moaners. I used to listen to talksport and the fivelive phone ins, listening to top 6 clubs' fans moaning about their teams. It used to drive me mad, so I don't bother anymore.

Even locally, villa fans, after about 15 consecutive home wins, were moaning how rubbish the football was. 🙄

2 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

Perhaps a naive football purist, but I thought Peterborough were superb at our place. It's clear the lack of experience in their side is their downfall at times when it comes to game management, only need to see the away game, but providing they steer clear of high numbers of injuries or long term injuries to key players, I'd expect them to be right in the mix for the top 2. I certainly wouldn't want them in the play offs at all but the contrast in style and age demographic between the two teams can either work for or against you in those games. However, if you forced me to watch a league 1 game every week excluding us, I'd pick them

Peterborough play a bit like we used to pre-Warne. They pass from the back, through a busy midfield platform and have pacy strikers.

That’s not a criticism of PW just a fact. 

Everyone in our area of the East Stand admired their football and agreed that on the day, they were better than us.

But, it’s not individual games that win you promotion, it’s consistency, and we’ll see whose best in that department as the season wears on.

3 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sky hate us

Full House 90S Tv GIF

Not looking to rank fans here, we are all equals, you have some where it's a Saturday only, back to work and the family during the week, maybe buying the Derby Telegraph and glancing at the sports pages.

Then you have those that wake up on a Monday and the first thing they do is grab the phone and check forums/social media platforms to see who we've signed or what formation we should play at the weekend. That will continue all day, every day, 365. We have some that spend their Christmas Day afternoons on here instead of having to talk to the family.

Let's put a name to them. Nutters. 

With Nutters you will the have extremes, from the doomsdayers to the hunky dory aww look at that bobble hat.

Some will claim to sit in the middle, but truth be told, you're more like 75% on the way to one side or the other......awww look at that bobble hat.

Having fans split as they are now fairly evenly from what I can tell, that's the worst possible scenario for a fans forum. 

Paul Warne, Gary Rowett and Nigel Clough.

3 tenures that have created this equal divide, Warne will have to leave for the mood to reset itself. We already have fans almost accepting promotion at some point under Warne is inevitable and looking to downplay his ability to manage in the Championship. Completely unaware of the budget and players he will have at his disposal. Warne is this and we won't do that under him.

And it's said with so much confidence, you almost respect it in a way, despite thinking what utter nonsense.

At the other end, it's the same, and I say this not looking to enrage anyone, I was at the opposite end under Nigel Clough and nobody will ever convince me we would have made top 6 in the Championship under him. There was very minor incremental positives here and there, yet we would still then go away and defend a 1-0 loss with Robbie Savage prancing around in midfield.

To this day, others will be adamant he should have stayed, will even suggest him as a replacement when Warne does leave. 

That's forums for you, we all love it really and that's why we come back, even if it does get on your goat at times. Bit like a healthy marriage one would say.