Afcon 2024

9 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Caught a few highlights earlier and there was a match covered by BBC 3... Zambia vs Morocco.

But what a poor looking tournament. Reminded me of a world cup c 1982. Sparse crowds, low excitement, cagey football.

Then I saw that it's held every 2 years, not 4. Why is that?

Money, and to make idiotic Premier League managers cry about losing players even though they are well aware that AFCON is held every two years when they choose to sign African players.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm hoping the later rounds pick up.

Senegal vs Cote divoire looks potentially tasty.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Money, and to make idiotic Premier League managers cry about losing players even though they are well aware that AFCON is held every two years when they choose to sign African players.

Do you think they're getting much cash from grounds being 10% full? And I hope the BBC haven't spaffed a load of cash for some limited rights......

19 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Senegal vs Cote divoire looks potentially tasty.

Do you think they're getting much cash from grounds being 10% full? And I hope the BBC haven't spaffed a load of cash for some limited rights......

Well, I guess sponsorship has more sway than ticket sales, but it has just given a disappointing look to something that in theory should be great, hugely popular sport widely played with many stars of the European top leagues. I hope as it progresses it picks up momentum.

15 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Caught a few highlights earlier and there was a match covered by BBC 3... Zambia vs Morocco.

But what a poor looking tournament. Reminded me of a world cup c 1982. Sparse crowds, low excitement, cagey football.

Then I saw that it's held every 2 years, not 4. Why is that?

It's great to follow the mad moments and storylines on Twitter. You get barmy stuff happening in AFCON that you don't get in other international tournaments. But I don't think I'd ever sit down and watch it.

It doesn't have enough teams. There's a knockout match with Egypt and Congo, who have a combined record of 5 draws and a defeat in the competition. That should not be getting you into a knockout stage.

13 hours ago, Anon said:

Laugh emoji not directed at you, but rather because it's absolutely true. Some of them remind me of Dora in Finding Nemo.

Just watched the holders, Senegal go out to the hosts Ivory Coast on penalties, (or Cote D'ivoire as the commentators love saying). For some reason found myself getting involved and cheering on the Elephants!

Looking forward to the quarter finals now.

12 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Just watched the holders, Senegal go out to the hosts Ivory Coast on penalties, (or Cote D'ivoire as the commentators love saying). For some reason found myself getting involved and cheering on the Elephants!

Looking forward to the quarter finals now.

He got a penalty for that...referee was Atwell 😁

367849416elephant-playing-ball-gif.gif