Glass half full!

Paultheram

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Those goal posts have never moved since day 1. The concerns since the day he was appointed were: style of play, use of academy players, retaining academy graduates, risk to the 'feel good factor' around the club. The pattern (in particular this season) has been for one or two of those concerns to appear addressed, only for us to take a backwards step in the next game.

Whilst results are ultimately all that matter, all those other little bits buy the manager more time when results aren't going too well. Warne's performance as manager can be described as "bare minimum" to stay in the job, and he his given himself no safety net to rely on when we do have a bad run.

I am not a Warne- Outer , but you are right , he is on thin ice with a lot of fans . Over the Xmas holidays we play Wigan , Oxford and Peterborough. Then into the 2nd half of Winter , when we never seem to do very well. How Paul would love 9 holiday points , I seem to remember Nigel doing it one year including a win over Leeds Utd .

26 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Has McGoldrick said he may have stayed with a different manager or is that just another thing you've made up?

Bolton are further along their rebuilding project.

Oxford spent well over the summer.

Barnsley unlucky not to get promoted last season. 

Why should we definitely be finishing above these 3 teams? Because we get crowds over 25,000?

I'm sure there are plenty of teams in the division that have played more than 16 games together too so have a more cohesive unit. 

I was told by someone who’s got stuff right before that McGoldrick wanted out of Derby, long before Notts County were promoted. The reason why he was so desperate to leave is a mystery, but it’s not out the realms of possibility that the manager who accused him of faking injury might well have been a factor. 

Paul Warne has had over a year now to get to grips with the team. Time is no excuse. Not many managers get that amount of time (as evidenced by the fact he’s already the 8th longest serving manager in the league). 

Oxford did spend well, so why couldn’t we? And don’t give me the EFL restrictions, we still had plenty to spend on wages, and recruited poorly.

Oxford made more changes over the summer than we did, and are currently performing much better. The excuses made for Warne wear me down, they really do. It’s crap, he should be doing much better than he is. we have more than enough quality in this squad to compete.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I get your point, but I’d then argue that a “minimum acceptable level” should be promotion by any means - be it playoffs or Top Two. Do we look like achieving that under Paul Warne? In my opinion we do not, and he should be dismissed whilst there’s still them for another manager to achieve that.

I’d say we still look a reasonable bet to reach the play offs (certainly not far enough off to be writing us off). Then after that, as we all know, it’s a bit of a lottery and to an extent dependent on end of season form.

If you’re suggesting reaching the play offs (which then leaves the door open for achieving “promotion by any means”) is a minimum acceptable level (which I think you are, otherwise you must be saying only top two is acceptable) then it seems harsh to sack the manager when we’re currently only outside of the play off positions on goals scored.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You said 'its probably the worst League One in years'. So are you admitting that this is now just hyperbole, to try and make your view look more plausible, that is based on nothing?

You’ve answered your own question - I said probably the worst league one in years. I’m not claiming I’m a league one expert, it’s based on this year being a lot worse than last year.

It’s not an unreasonable view to hold, but then again it’s not like you to not allow anyone to hold an opinion that they can’t prove irrefutably with facts. One of the worst posters on here by a mile

12 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I am not a Warne- Outer , but you are right , he is on thin ice with a lot of fans . Over the Xmas holidays we play Wigan , Oxford and Peterborough. Then into the 2nd half of Winter , when we never seem to do very well. How Paul would love 9 holiday points , I seem to remember Nigel doing it one year including a win over Leeds Utd .

We always used to beat Leeds those days. Didn't we have something like 10 straight wins against them? Good times.

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

There was a full page interview with McGoldrick in yesterday’s Daily Mail that starts with “David McGoldrick always promised himself he would one day return to Notts County”. I imagine he knew time was running out for him especially if he wanted to make a meaningful contribution and go out in style rather than just limping to the end of his career. So, I suspect it wouldn’t have made any difference who the Derby manager was at that time.

That’s absolutely true, and there was no doubt he was going there once they got promoted, I’m not arguing against that. But he made his decision to leave before that option came up. There has to have been something more in his mind.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I was told by someone who’s got stuff right before that McGoldrick wanted out of Derby, long before Notts County were promoted. The reason why he was so desperate to leave is a mystery, but it’s not out the realms of possibility that the manager who accused him of faking injury might well have been a factor. 

Paul Warne has had over a year now to get to grips with the team. Time is no excuse. Not many managers get that amount of time (as evidenced by the fact he’s already the 8th longest serving manager in the league). 

Oxford did spend well, so why couldn’t we? And don’t give me the EFL restrictions, we still had plenty to spend on wages, and recruited poorly.

Oxford made more changes over the summer than we did, and are currently performing much better. The excuses made for Warne wear me down, they really do. It’s crap, he should be doing much better than he is. we have more than enough quality in this squad to compete.

Best thing about that is we stole the guy responsible for recruitment at Oxford. As soon as he left them, they fly up the table. As soon as he joins us, well. No need to go over it again.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

That’s absolutely true, and there was no doubt he was going there once they got promoted, I’m not arguing against that. But he made his decision to leave before that option came up. There has to have been something more in his mind.

So you say but it’s impossible to argue against unsubstantiated gossip.

6 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’d say we still look a reasonable bet to reach the play offs (certainly not far enough off to be writing us off). Then after that, as we all know, it’s a bit of a lottery and to an extent dependent on end of season form.

If you’re suggesting reaching the play offs (which then leaves the door open for achieving “promotion by any means”) is a minimum acceptable level (which I think you are, otherwise you must be saying only top two is acceptable) then it seems harsh to sack the manager when we’re currently only outside of the play off positions on goals scored.

I’d say we still look good to make the playoffs, but not to be promoted in them. It’s not as much of a lottery as people say in my opinion, you have to have the quality to beat top teams in order to win them, and also the mental strength to hold your nerve under the pressure. We don’t look to have either at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

We always used to beat Leeds those days. Didn't we have something like 10 straight wins against them? Good times.

10 straight wins, but the first two were under Davies and the last with Mac. Even Jewell beat them in the League Cup. Clough won all 6 of his games against Leeds.

11 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

What else did they tell you that was right? I'll have a look back, just to see how reliable their information is.

He has had 16 games maximum with Nyambe, Ward, Wilson, Nelson, Bradley, Elder, Fornah, Waghorn, John Jules. 

Not sure there have been more than 3 or 4 games where he has had even half of these all available for selection.

Don't give you EFL restrictions? Why not? They are a fact. Can you give us a breakdown of the players that we purchased wages please?

So are we not competing?

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You’ve answered your own question - I said probably the worst league one in years. I’m not claiming I’m a league one expert, it’s based on this year being a lot worse than last year.

It’s not an unreasonable view to hold, but then again it’s not like you to not allow anyone to hold an opinion that they can’t prove irrefutably with facts. One of the worst posters on here by a mile

And you're very welcoming to opposing opinions are you?

Well being one of the worst isn't as bad as being the worst but I'll keep on doing my best to take your title.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

I’d say we still look good to make the playoffs, but not to be promoted in them. It’s not as much of a lottery as people say in my opinion, you have to have the quality to beat top teams in order to win them, and also the mental strength to hold your nerve under the pressure. We don’t look to have either at the moment. 

Hopefully (assuming we don’t achieve the near impossible and make the top two) only time will tell. There’s a long way to go yet and perhaps we’d go into the play offs with momentum. 🤷🏻. What makes you say we don’t (or, more to the point, wouldn’t have by the time the play offs come around) have the mental strength to hold our nerve under the pressure (of the play offs)?

35 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You say he's one of the worst posters, have you read every single post he's ever made? And why are you only judging him on posts he's made in the past, and not hypothetical posts he might make in the future? He's only one good post away from the top six. And he has a post in hand. And you know David can't afford to ban him, so get used to him because he's going nowhere.

He's got one of the best defensive post records on the forum, don't forget that.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And you're very welcoming to opposing opinions are you?

Well being one of the worst isn't as bad as being the worst but I'll keep on doing my best to take your title.

I am actually, I’d never disregard anyone’s opinion on here, no matter how much I may disagree. There are a few remaining posters who still believe in Warne, and who am I to tell them different, they’re entitled to their view.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

I am actually, I’d never disregard anyone’s opinion on here, no matter how much I may disagree. There are a few remaining posters who still believe in Warne, and who am I to tell them different, they’re entitled to their view.

So the same as me. I've never told anyone their opinion is wrong, how can it be, that's what makes it opinion. 

However, I will pull people up for making things up or trying to pass off opinons as facts if I don't agree with them.

11 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

You say he's one of the worst posters, have you read every single post he's ever made? And why are you only judging him on posts he's made in the past, and not hypothetical posts he might make in the future? He's only one good post away from the top six. And he has a post in hand. And you know David can't afford to ban him, so get used to him because he's going nowhere.

He's got one of the best defensive post records on the forum, don't forget that.

Bloody hell, 2 whole sentences without criticising Warne, things are looking up.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Not disputing that, and I don’t expect you to believe it. Just saying it may have been a contributing factor. None of us know for sure, other than McGoldrick himself.

Absolutely agree. Which means you can’t really say “but he made his decision to leave before that option came up” as you asserted earlier. 

Bearing in mind how Chinese whispers work, for all we know it might have just started with him saying something fairly innocent that couldn’t have reasonable been interpreted as a reflection on his relationship with PW. On the other hand, he might have said something along the lines of “I can’t wait to get away from Warne” but that seems unlikely given his comments about PW when he left.