January Reinforcements

sage

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm afraid we blew our wad in the summer.  Once the Cashin deal went pear shaped, as we dug our heels in on a loan back or loan for Edmundson from Ipswich where he was going straight on loan, our options were curtailed.   I suggested a few weeks ago that I'd heard some must go on loan or permanent before much else could happen.  Seems likely. 

Listening to PW it sounds like we have enough in the pot for one more. Of what standard god knows. 

In our defence Brighton are sitting on a pile of riches so for them to haggle over £4m until 5 hours before deadline was poor form. Not sure why we’ve been so adamant he’s not for sale this month though.

Warne’s signings in the summer were 70% flops- Wilson has done ok going forward ( naff defensively) Nelson solid and the rest are slow and injured and incapable of being better than what we had whilst Nyambe and Waghorn were fluke signings who do contribute when available 

Given how the Blackett-Taylor signing was done we’re either looking for a similar deal where we pay a loan fee for someone out of contract in the summer and then sign, or a pure 6 month loan.  Either way, unless we sell someone, and probably for a significant fee, we’re not buying anyone this week.  Unless we do something similar to the Fornah & Washington deals.

I’ve no idea how much we’d get for Ward with 2.5 years on his contract, but probably not enough for a permanent striker signing.  So if we want a top end L1 or lower end Championship striker, we might have to sell more than 1 that’s on the fringes or accept a sizeable bid for Bird or Cashin.  And they would probably generate enough cash for 2 or 3 signings.  An interesting dilemma, and one that is probably getting a lot of discussion at Moor Farm between now and Thursday.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My recollection is of Mark Thomas being on his notice period at Oxford until the summer started (a quick browse couldn't confirm this). I therefore think it's reasonable to assume the majority of the summer signings were 'Warne signings'. The likes of Bradley, Elder, etc. would have been lined up very quickly, and most liekly before Thomas had officially started working for us. I therefore have confidence that the success rate of our signigns will improve going forward.

However, it is a concern how so many signings aren't playing as much as we had liked - whether through injury or performance. When weighing up value for money (availability/minutes played vs wages), it's signings from this season who come out of it worst - Ward, Bradley, Elder, Embleton, John-Jules, Washington.. It's clear we can't afford to have another summer like last.

I think you’re right about this.  I also seem to recall that PW said that Mark Thomas was focusing on next summer and longer term recruitment.  It might have been in the interview he did on Radio Derby towards the end of the last transfer window.  My memory could be playing tricks though.

24 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Listening to PW it sounds like we have enough in the pot for one more. Of what standard god knows. 

In our defence Brighton are sitting on a pile of riches so for them to haggle over £4m until 5 hours before deadline was poor form. Not sure why we’ve been so adamant he’s not for sale this month though.

image.png.c955d7fe69453284b1d8befa6eff6c11.png

Other than our own local forum mystics (🔮) and the recent leaky sieve at Charlton’s end, weren’t most of our transfers in the summer kept quite well under wraps? I might be misremembering but I feel like lots of the links from journos and Twitter/X teens were non-starters. 
Warne has said a couple of times that bids (plural) are in, so I’m hoping we get a couple of surprises before the deadline. A striker and a loan midfielder maybe. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

21 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Warne’s signings in the summer were 70% flops- Wilson has done ok going forward ( naff defensively) Nelson solid and the rest are slow and injured and incapable of being better than what we had whilst Nyambe and Waghorn were fluke signings who do contribute when available 

Bit harsh on Wilson’s defensive ability. He’s got others out of the cart on a number of occasions recently.

He is undoubtedly better further forward where he can create space for others by beating a man and drawing additional defenders.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Bolton close to bringing in a 2nd and 3rd signing. Portsmouth have 2 in the bank and are linked with another 2. Posh nobody but keeping their players is as good as signing somebody. 

All eyes on us. Currently linked with nobody.

Not bothered whether we are linked with anyone or not - it's meaningless. The important thing is whatever is (or isn't) going on within the Club.

33 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

You're a ray of sunshine aren't you?

51 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Brighton are rolling in money but did they see the highlights of Rams v Lincoln ? The alarming lack of pace shown by Cashin could have put an end to his dreams and any chance of a war chest for us .

33 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not bothered whether we are linked with anyone or not - it's meaningless. The important thing is whatever is (or isn't) going on within the Club.

Obviously. 

But from an excitement point of view the anticipation of a signing adds to the drama.

24 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

You're a ray of sunshine aren't you?

Sparkle

is right though so far you’d say most of his signings are less than impressive and if they left tomorrow we wouldn’t miss them ….and Vickers should’nt be in front of Wildsmith either wtf is going on there