January Reinforcements

sage

I know you can’t pick up on everyone out there but qe seem hopeless at picking up on any decent player before they break through and start commanding fees…

Is this cos PW is more interested in established players , or is it that our scouting/recruitment team are short-sighted/useless ? Or just that priorities tight now are to get out of this league asap and the view is this is no time to be taking risks ?

What younger players we have brought in over the last 18 months don’t really seem to be getting a sniff at first team football. 

4 minutes ago, caymanram said:

I know you can’t pick up on everyone out there but qe seem hopeless at picking up on any decent player before they break through and start commanding fees…

Is this cos PW is more interested in established players , or is it that our scouting/recruitment team are short-sighted/useless ? Or just that priorities tight now are to get out of this league asap and the view is this is no time to be taking risks ?

What younger players we have brought in over the last 18 months don’t really seem to be getting a sniff at first team football. 

How can you blame Paul Warne for this when we haven’t spent a fee since he’s been here?

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

How can you blame Paul Warne for this when we haven’t spent a fee since he’s been here?

There are plenty of non-league players in the same position as the other established players we signed on ‘frees’…. 

3 minutes ago, caymanram said:

There are plenty of non-league players in the same position as the other established players we signed on ‘frees’…. 

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. You’re saying Warne should have used the zero transfer money he has spent on signing the absolutely best that non-league has to offer? (Which, by the way, no other transfer genius has done in the same time). How is that possible?

Over the longest period Derby absolutely do seem to never unearth the gem and always end up paying the finders the fee. Likely due to competing at the sharp end of the table and that gamble is exactly that, a perceived gamble over a more established (and expensive) name. We should have had better scouts and transfer policy, absolutely. Even moreso in hindsight.

But to level it at Warne right now? Not having it. 

3 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Even non-league players command a fee, if they're under contract or under 24. We even had to pay non-league Worcester City about 15k for Roger Davies in the 70s, something that could not have done over the last few years.

The only players that we have been able to sign are frees. This means that they're out of contract and over 24 years old. Generally speaking players whose contract has run down, are not sufficiently wanted by their club to have been offered a decent contract early enough.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carlisle - Moxon (CM, 7.00), Gibson (RW, 6.86), Lavelle (CB, 6.77)

Wigan  - Humphrys (RW, 7.05), Tickle (GK, 6.91), Morrison (CB, 6.81)

Mansfield - Keillor-Dunn (AM, 7.53), Flint (CB, 7.24), Maris (CM, 7.23)

Chesterfield - No Whoscored ratings... Dobra has been loosely linked

Forest Green - McAllister (RW, 7.04), Inniss (CB, 6.71), Bunker (DM, 6.66)

Newport - Evans (CF, 7.07), McLoughlin (RB, 6.94), Bogle (CF, 6.90)

Doncaster - Ironside (CF, 6.85), Bailey (CB, 6.81), Anderson (CB, 6.81)

Going through these...

Carlisle - Moxon had a pretty ordinary game, Gibson came off the bench and struggled to make an impact, Lavelle had a solid defensive game

Wigan - Humphrys came off the bench and scored his penalty in the shootout. Tickle and Morrison were unused subs

Mansfield - didn't play

Chesterfield - Dobra got booked and came off after 70 minutes

Forest Green - didn't play

Newport - Evans scored, McLoughlin got a full 90, Bogle didn't play

Doncaster - Ironside came off the bench and scored his goal in the shootout. Bailey scored the equaliser, then scored in the shootout. Anderson wasn't in the squad.

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Chesterfield - Dobra got booked and came off after 70 minutes

If he did go to this game, I'd be interested if he's kept an eye on Conn-Clarke. Incredible player. Definitely one who's gonna go an EFL move very soon. 

A big black mark against his mentality and ability to deal with pressure then. Carlisle are his hometown club and he's talked of the great debt he owes to Simpson, but the prospect of a move to a team at the sharp end of League One makes him perform so poorly that some of the fans effusive with praise regarding his performances last season would happily get rid of him because they think they can do better? 

3 hours ago, Srg said:

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say. You’re saying Warne should have used the zero transfer money he has spent on signing the absolutely best that non-league has to offer? (Which, by the way, no other transfer genius has done in the same time). How is that possible?

Over the longest period Derby absolutely do seem to never unearth the gem and always end up paying the finders the fee. Likely due to competing at the sharp end of the table and that gamble is exactly that, a perceived gamble over a more established (and expensive) name. We should have had better scouts and transfer policy, absolutely. Even moreso in hindsight.

Just now, caymanram said:
3 hours ago, Srg said:

Expand  

Warne ultimately has the final say on what players we sign and play. However, my comments weren’t all aimed at Warne despite u seeming to want to believe they were so you can argue with me and be your usual abrasive self. No, they were as much directed at our scouting dept that doesn’t seem to be able to find these non and lower league gems that so many other clubs are. Yes, some of those will require fees but many do not and are out of contract. In truth Weston and Ratcliffe are examples of that …. But I don’t personally believe at this stage that u will see Warne ever play them… but time will tell and if they are a big success then i will happily eat some humble pie.

As always, different opinions from different folk 👍

4 hours ago, caymanram said:

Warne ultimately has the final say on what players we sign and play. However, my comments weren’t all aimed at Warne despite u seeming to want to believe they were so you can argue with me and be your usual abrasive self. No, they were as much directed at our scouting dept that doesn’t seem to be able to find these non and lower league gems that so many other clubs are. Yes, some of those will require fees but many do not and are out of contract. In truth Weston and Ratcliffe are examples of that …. But I don’t personally believe at this stage that u will see Warne ever play them… but time will tell and if they are a big success then i will happily eat some humble pie.

As always, different opinions from different folk 👍

You can get petty with me all you want, but you were the one who said it. If that isn’t what you meant then fair enough, but that was how your post read. 

8 hours ago, enachops said:

Carlisle fans don’t really give a glowing reference  of Moxon here. Sounds as though he’s been poor in league 1 and has had a contract dispute most of the season.

https://thebuzzisback.boards.net/thread/48/owen-moxon-thread

If you read this forum you wouldn't go near any of our players on that basis.

6 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

A big black mark against his mentality and ability to deal with pressure then. Carlisle are his hometown club and he's talked of the great debt he owes to Simpson, but the prospect of a move to a team at the sharp end of League One makes him perform so poorly that some of the fans effusive with praise regarding his performances last season would happily get rid of him because they think they can do better? 

They sound as fickle as some on here 

10 hours ago, Jubbs said:

If he did go to this game, I'd be interested if he's kept an eye on Conn-Clarke. Incredible player. Definitely one who's gonna go an EFL move very soon. 

I went to the game, Conn- Clarke was comfortably the best player on the pitch and took his goal well after a slick passing move. Sounds like there's interest in him from the Championship including Swansea though. Dobra on the other hand was pants, was fortunate to get away with a mistake that led to a disallowed goal, got booked and was subbed after  contributing little for 70 mins. He might be good on occasions but is very inconsistent imo