January Reinforcements

sage

57 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Washington is back in training next month and Waghorn will return at some point. As we appear to want to play with 2 upfront and Warne wants to play 352, then it's also where Mendez-Laing will play (Barkhuizen too?). That gives us 5 or 6 CF options so I can see why some may say we have enough. I would still sign one more.

Washington won't be match fit till March providing he doesn't have a set back. Waghorn who knows. At some point isn't really helping.

Smith is proven at this level and offers something different to Collins. Whilst TJJ has potential. Not being able to play 90 minutes isn't really much help at all. 

If we signed CBT, Smith and Arblaster this month I'd think we could give it a right good go to get promoted. Strength in depth is key and being able to rotate and not weaken the side is key. Because last season we ran out of steam as we had nobody that could step in and replace any of our better players. We can't let that happen again.

53 minutes ago, sage said:

For all his dribbles. How many goals and assists?

The lad has never played winger before in his career. He's 23. He's impacted games positively in nearly every appearance he's made, and has room to keep improving. If that isn't a successful signing, your metrics are way off. Not every signing is first name on the team sheet, prime aged player. We need several more Kane Wilson signings to build this squad for the future.

59 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Washington is back in training next month and Waghorn will return at some point. As we appear to want to play with 2 upfront and Warne wants to play 352, then it's also where Mendez-Laing will play (Barkhuizen too?). That gives us 5 or 6 CF options so I can see why some may say we have enough. I would still sign one more.

And that's the concern. Collins remains, and will do for some time as things stand, our only fit player capable of playing 90 mins and scoring goals. JJ is feeling his way back into regularly playing. Washington back next month training means what, being fit to play 90 minutes 3 weeks after that? We might not see him til March at the earliest in any kind of meaningful capacity. Waghorn, we don't know so its conceivable it won't be til towards the end of the season. NML and Barks don't score anything like the amount of goals we need for promotion, particularly if we are pushing for autos. 

I agree that if Collins is injured we'd really struggle for enough goals to consistently win games. I guess it's down to what our ambition is but I'd say signing a player who is capable of being competition to Collins and can come in and play 90 minutes from the off is crucial to maintaining the promotion push.  

11 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Washington won't be match fit till March providing he doesn't have a set back. Waghorn who knows. At some point isn't really helping.

Smith is proven at this level and offers something different to Collins. Whilst TJJ has potential. Not being able to play 90 minutes isn't really much help at all. 

If we signed CBT, Smith and Arblaster this month I'd think we could give it a right good go to get promoted. Strength in depth is key and being able to rotate and not weaken the side is key. Because last season we ran out of steam as we had nobody that could step in and replace any of our better players. We can't let that happen again.

Agree, but would we need to let someone go to pay for all three?

We ‘re already paying more for TJJ and, I assume, NML.

Wages could be an issue unless we can offload without unduly weakening the squad.

42 minutes ago, sage said:

He is entertaining but to view him as a 'big success' or even 'above average' is a little over egging the pudding.

He is an impact sub for a top 6 side.

This side has been carried by the back 4, Hourihane, Bird, NML and Collins. All of theur faults but are above average. The other 2 places are support acts.

Sadly these are now 4 support acts.

I'd view entertaining as being a success because that's what supporters pay to see. Wilson and NML about the only players who excite amid what can often be 90 minutes of rather boring football. Ebosele wasn't the most effective of players but he was exciting to watch and a reason to go to games.

To suggest Hourihane and Bird are carrying the side? They might be better than Sibley and Fornah but no way are they carrying this team - Cashin and Nelson are doing a far better job in that respect. Our midfield is the weakest part of the team and, apart from Thommo who I would like to see develop to see what he has - I wouldn't be sorry to see any of them leave.

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

image.thumb.png.13b2d6f97d5efc4b65e25e4344fdf202.png

Unless I'm reading that wrong, are we suggesting that Wilson is below average and near the bottom for running with the ball, but in the elite section for winning headers? Interesting....

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

The lad has never played winger before in his career. He's 23. He's impacted games positively in nearly every appearance he's made, and has room to keep improving. If that isn't a successful signing, your metrics are way off. Not every signing is first name on the team sheet, prime aged player. We need several more Kane Wilson signings to build this squad for the future.

Wilson has done better than I thought he would. It was said he has an injury that he will have to nurse his entire career. His dribbling is good . He still has time to improve his passing and tackling with quality coaching .

Weird one that we have 4 strikers already on the books and most would probably have happily seen Collins leave in the summer if it meant we could bring another in. Now he's our main man (due to his performances and the fact that Waghorn, Wash and TJJ have not set the world alight *shock*). But I do think we need another and IMO there's no snobbery going for a Smith, he's tried and tested and if its only a loan we aren't lumbered with him for next season.

Another winger would be nice and in this respect I'd happily see Sibley leave if that frees up funds to bring a new winger in. Ward looks pony but can't see us offloading him until the summer and Waggy can't be relied to be the 4th winger with his injury issues. Whether we'll get CBT or have to dip in to the loan market is a mystery.

I also agree a Idiakez type player would complete the set, Hourihane doesn't offer enough IMO. But I can't see us signing 3 so maybe this a pipe dream. Plus as unexcited I am by Hourihane and Bird, they have contributed to us being 4th so they can't be that bad. 

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Agree, but would we need to let someone go to pay for all three?

We ‘re already paying more for TJJ and, I assume, NML.

Wages could be an issue unless we can offload without unduly weakening the squad.

Potentially mate. Maybe we thought we'd sell Cashin in the summer and they would fund what we needed. Obviously now selling Cashin is completely unthinkable because of how good he's been. Also selling Cashin and Bird in the summer is probably best as we need a big rebuild then too.

We've got Embletons wages off the books haven't we. We don't know if we are paying more for TJJ really. The bit that Arsenal countered on could be to do with the structure of the deal and if we pay anything when his contract is up, depending on games played etc. We honestly don't know.

Personally I'd not be too fussed to see Sibley leave. If there was any interest.

5 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Wilson has done better than I thought he would. It was said he has an injury that he will have to nurse his entire career. His dribbling is good . He still has time to improve his passing and tackling with quality coaching .

His intelligent play makes space and time for others. I’ve been impressed by his attitude. I haven’t seen a Derby player with quicker feet for a while and I love it when he makes defenders look daft.

He should start every game for me, ideally on the right of a four man midfield.

2 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Potentially mate. Maybe we thought we'd sell Cashin in the summer and they would fund what we needed. Obviously now selling Cashin is completely unthinkable because of how good he's been. Also selling Cashin and Bird in the summer is probably best as we need a big rebuild then too.

We've got Embletons wages off the books haven't we. We don't know if we are paying more for TJJ really. The bit that Arsenal countered on could be to do with the structure of the deal and if we pay anything when his contract is up, depending on games played etc. We honestly don't know.

Personally I'd not be too fussed to see Sibley leave. If there was any interest.

There will be compensation due for TJJ as he's a product of their academy.

19 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I'd view entertaining as being a success because that's what supporters pay to see. Wilson and NML about the only players who excite amid what can often be 90 minutes of rather boring football. Ebosele wasn't the most effective of players but he was exciting to watch and a reason to go to games.

To suggest Hourihane and Bird are carrying the side? They might be better than Sibley and Fornah but no way are they carrying this team - Cashin and Nelson are doing a far better job in that respect. Our midfield is the weakest part of the team and, apart from Thommo who I would like to see develop to see what he has - I wouldn't be sorry to see any of them leave.

I agree with the above post except i would prefer to keep Bird, unless we can get a very good offer in that allows us to strengthen the midfield with a couple of new faces.

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Smith is a better player than Collins, in my opinion. I would like to see something different, but certainly wouldn’t be against Smith. 

You would hope our recruitment team are doing something in the background though, surely we can be a little more creative in the market. If not, I would have to look at making changes in that department. You live and die by your recruitment, so it needs to be as efficient as possible. 

i would like to think the search for strikers goes beyond the first team,and is the main priority for the academy, as that is where the money lies for the future funding of the club

19 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Unless I'm reading that wrong, are we suggesting that Wilson is below average and near the bottom for running with the ball, but in the elite section for winning headers? Interesting....

No, you have to look at the colour of the text, as opposed to the colour of the bars.

So he's in the Elite category for Progressive Carries and Acceleration with the Ball, as expected. And Above Average for Aerial Wins and Smart Passes.

But Below Average for defensive contributions (and Crossing as well).

Regarding players in there is so much I don't know. As a benchmark are we being run as a self financing business? If we aren't how much is DC prepared to invest beyond what he has already shelled out buying the club. If we are self sustainable then we may have to get used to struggling to land players whilst we have possibly an overpaid squad earning up to our ceiling. Outs may have to equal ins. 

Edited by The Scarlet Pimpernel

42 minutes ago, Srg said:

I didn't say he was a bad signing, just not a 'big success'.

He is an OK signing with potential to be good. Nutmegs are ok, creating assists is good.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I wouldn't mind one or two of their players, but feel they'll have set a high asking price for players they picked up for free in the summer

how on earth were they allowed to sign players with no money,whilst we were put in chains

31 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

The extent to which Bird and Hourihane carry the team is relative to their area.

I would agree that the back 4 have been our strongest area, but in terms of midfield Bird and Hourihane, despite their faults, are way ahead of the others. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I wouldn't mind one or two of their players, but feel they'll have set a high asking price for players they picked up for free in the summer

If Cashin does go, Abbey would be a good replacement.