January Reinforcements

sage

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If we aren't financially in a position to pip other teams to signings in this league what hope do we have in the Championship against teams like Leicester who are lobbing cash around like they never got relegated?

They will be in the Prem.

13 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

We’re still operating under a business plan which is as much destined to stifle our competitiveness as a penalty for going into administration as to protect us from further mismanagement. Yes we can pay transfer fees but it all has to come from the same pot. Next season we will really see our financial power with being technically left to our own devices, it could be Clowes is happy with the budget we’re operating and doesn’t want to move from that which would be a concern.

Also concerning, Leigh Curtis also mentions in his article about Warne alluding to a number of players who are about to trigger contract extensions based on appearances!! We got into trouble with under Mel with the likes of Benty Bradley Johnson and others, if Smith and Hourihane for example are on similar deals then that means we’ll be saddled with their high wages next season which will mean we’re still restricted in what we can do. Both of these players are ones we should be thanking for their contribution and moving on in the summer IMO. 

Just seen that. He stated "a few" are on course, so at least 3 and not including Bird or Cashin, Whilst Thompson and Waghorn haven't played in too many games to be classed as "on course". Smith is injred with no fixed return date, and is also down the pecking order of CMs so I also doubt he's included. Although, that could be another reason for the rumours suggesting we're trying to move him on. Wildsmith, Forsyth, Hourihane, Barkhuizen and Collins would be the leading candidates - with only Wildsmith being a regular starter in the Championship

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Teams are coming to PP now and “Parking the bus”. Only one win in our last four home games. They know most of our attacking comes down the wings. Could we sign a midfield player that could beat a man and set something up on a regular basis ? 

To be honest, there aren't many in this league who would be a significant upgrade on Bird regarding driving forward with the ball or forward passing. Ollie Arblaster would be one player to give both. The only others who aren't at promotion rivals are Carlisle's Owen Moxon (weak passing stats) and Bristol's Antony Evans (would be expensive).

Dan Kemp (recalled by MK Dons this month) would be the pick of the bunch in League 2. Mansfield's Davis Keillor-Dunn could be an option, but I think he'd be too expensive for us.

If looking at players not getting enough game time in the Championship, Adil Aouchiche from Sunderland could be an option.

1 hour ago, Barney1991 said:

So if we don’t get anyone over the line and go with what we have and warne publicly states we couldn’t do anything due to money yet the club put out that money would be made available for January and the squad gets burnt out by the end and misses out on promotion who does everyone blame let me guess warne will be to blame? 

He would be at fault for using good amounts of what budget we did have in the summer window on players who have proven no better than what we already had.

The money going out to Washington, Bradley, Ward, Fornah & Elder every week for minimal return on the pitch isn't exactly helping our chances of strengthening this month.

Essentially we paid out wages on the higher end of the free transfer market for squad players, when perhaps cheaper alternatives could have done the same job as backups. Not that I'm saying I could name the other options, but then I'm not a scout.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

6 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Latest press conference was a barrel of laughs.

Got no right back for Monday.

Arsenal are playing hardball over TJJ despite his contract expiring in the summer.

OAP's like Hourihane, Barkhuizen etc could be playing for us for another season.

Sound.

John-Jules - we put an offer in, they countered, we've put a new offer in and we're almost there. Sounds like the loan will be extended until the end of the season. We could be negotiating on the wage contribution or an obligatory fee to pay if we want him in the summer (only 22 so Arsenal will be due compensation if they were to offer him a contract. 

49 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Latest press conference was a barrel of laughs.

Got no right back for Monday.

Arsenal are playing hardball over TJJ despite his contract expiring in the summer.

OAP's like Hourihane, Barkhuizen etc could be playing for us for another season.

Sound.

Just to put another scapegoat out there..is this all down to Stephen Pearce...our "FFP expert" as Mel once said!

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Would it be concerning? We may earn more than others clubs, but Clowes may have made the decision to run us more sustainably. For example, Charlton have averaged losses of £7.5m since they were relegated from the Championship. Clubs such as Oxford have also taken this season to push the boat out in an attempt to get promoted too.

I have no problem not overpaying in fees and wages considering all the hurt we went through with the administration and very nearly losing our football club. Just look at our last types of fees paid out because they were basically disastrous.

i know Warne wanted Cashin and Bird sold perviously to spend out but at least he has worked out that we actually need them and his record at Derby with signing players is not good at all is it, well not in my opinion 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Teams are coming to PP now and “Parking the bus”. Only one win in our last four home games. They know most of our attacking comes down the wings. Could we sign a midfield player that could beat a man and set something up on a regular basis ? 

Not a great deal of point if we are only playing it wide and crossing it and let’s be honest if we are trying to sign another winger and a taller centre forward warne wants to get it wide and cross it even more? We are one dimensional and that doesn’t appear to be changing anytime soon. It may well get us promoted but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

14 minutes ago, valakari said:

Just to put another scapegoat out there..is this all down to Stephen Pearce...our "FFP expert" as Mel once said!

Warne did say he had done his bit on the transfers and it had gone upstairs to presumably Pearce to sort out. Would you trust Pearce on money matters?

1 minute ago, We'll be back in 81 said:

Warne did say he had done his bit on the transfers and it had gone upstairs to presumably Pearce to sort out. Would you trust Pearce on money matters?

Well he is still in a job so maybe his advice has been very good and maybe not everyone has listened to it?

A few free agents who are available:
Derrick Williams (CB and LB cover)
Matt Sorinola (LWB)
Charlie Kirk (LW)

I think it's fair to say we won't be signing anyone currently without a club. Sorinola is attacking top end Championship interest, whilst the other two wouldn't improve our starting 11.

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

He would be at fault for using good amounts of what budget we did have in the summer window on players who have proven no better than what we already had.

The money going out to Washington, Bradley, Ward, Fornah & Elder every week for minimal return on the pitch isn't exactly helping our chances of strengthening this month.

Essentially we paid out wages on the higher end of the free transfer market for squad players, when perhaps cheaper alternatives could have done the same job as backups. Not that I'm saying I could name the other options, but then I'm not a scout.

Not just him I’d blame the recruitment department and owner. We have not wanted to pay upfront fees because of how limited the funds are. Free agents and we don’t know what wages were paid. I’d guess the summer before takes up a lot of wages when he wasn’t here. I think warnes actually done a good job with summer players apart from injuries which all teams have them. 

Wilson nyambe Nelson quality signings I’d even say ward and elder are good signings fornah has been good and bad in glimpses but to be fair hasn’t had a run of games. Washington until injury was hearing towards offering on the pitch even if it was off the bench. Tjj sold signing if he can get a run of games and stay fit. Vickers solid backup keeper. I’d say most of our wages are higher on the hourihanes and smith and sibeys birds who were on contracts pre admin and on the hurry window. We just need to sprinkle over what we have with 2 or 3 quality additions to aid us over the line and nyambe is back post January. 

with a 26000 thousand home crowd and money coming in plus embodying going back there is no reason not to compete with league 1 clubs in the position we are in. 

my fear is and everyone may not agree is we don’t add players and go with the current ageing squad and fall away which I can see happening. We don’t have the luxury of resting a nml but if we get a winger in the mould of cbt this relieves the pressure to rotate likewise with Collins if he gets crocked we have to rely on an injury prone tjj to carry the can. 

not asking for a million pounds d transfer splurge but we should be a pull and have the tour to aid the manager with the tools to make this a successful season and should take last January as a flash back point