January Reinforcements

sage

On 02/11/2023 at 17:07, sage said:

As we appear to have some wriggle room and may be netting £3m plus for Cashin, what positions do you think we need to recruit in, what kind of player?

£3m for a player who is available on a free in the summer?  I think we will be very lucky to see £1.5 - £2m.

26 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

£3m for a player who is available on a free in the summer?  I think we will be very lucky to see £1.5 - £2m.

Club can allegedly extend his contract by a year due to a similar clause to Jason Knight, also there is allegedly a number of clubs interested in him including a couple of premier league sides….its not beyond the realms of possibility that we get close to £3m, realistically I think it’ll be lower. 

55 minutes ago, RAM1966 said:

He isn't available on a free. We have a years option. Even if he didn't, we would get a 7 figure compensation fee.

We agreed on £3.6m at the end of August.

Edited by sage

17 minutes ago, sage said:

He isn't available on a free. We have a years option. Even if he didn't, we would get a 7 figure compensation fee.

We agreed on £3.6m at the end of August.

Where is that reported?  I can't find it and hope you are right, if he does go it should include a free loan back till the end of the season for sure.

17 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Just interested on peoples opinion, if the 3.6 million fee was true what would yous drop it to if it meant we would have him back on loan for the rest of the season. Think I’d settle for 3 million, he is the difference between promotion and not for me.

Definitely, it's about the economics, if that's the only path that achieves promotion, as our income will increase by a minimum of around £6m with promotion.

However, if we feel that promotion will be achieved without the money raised from his sale, we may feel that Cashin will be more important to our potential championship campaign.

36 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Just interested on peoples opinion, if the 3.6 million fee was true what would yous drop it to if it meant we would have him back on loan for the rest of the season. Think I’d settle for 3 million, he is the difference between promotion and not for me.

I honestly don't think we'll get close to 3 mill tbh. With a loan back, I'd begrudgingly let him go for 2-2.5. And yes, that's based on the optimism that we do go up this season.

And, of course, it needs to be invested wisely. Get a good goalscorer, wide player, and CM, and I'd say that's successful business.

13 hours ago, ram59 said:

Definitely, it's about the economics, if that's the only path that achieves promotion, as our income will increase by a minimum of around £6m with promotion.

However, if we feel that promotion will be achieved without the money raised from his sale, we may feel that Cashin will be more important to our potential championship campaign.

Exactly this, take the option on the year or better still offer him a new contract, keep him till the end of the season and sell him in the summer window if he wants to go.  He will be a Championship player then (Hopefully) and worth more than he is in League 1.  Try for a cheeky loan back for a year deal.  Let Brighton and Fester part take in a Dutch Auction for him!

Edited by RAM1966

4 hours ago, Returning ram said:

Did he ever say that ? Or another made up myth ?

Pretty sure it wasn't meant as a direct quote, but it's hardly a stretch to say that doing a lot more running than the opposition and getting lots of crosses into the box are unquestionably the main foundations of Paul Warne's approach. He's talked about the importance of both at length when doing long-form interviews and that podcast, moreso than other on-pitch details..

Hene the infamous "gas out" stuff and us being right up there for statistically for the number of croses put in, and the desire over the summer to buy for a wing back system in which putting in lots of crosses is rather inherent.

We can't just deny things which are objectively true just because stating them can be perceived as criticism. Or perhaps we can. All part of the big sweep.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

1 hour ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Pretty sure it wasn't meant as a direct quote, but it's hardly a stretch to say that doing a lot more running than the opposition and getting lots of crosses into the box are unquestionably the main foundations of Paul Warne's approach. He's talked about the importance of both at length when doing long-form interviews and that podcast, moreso than other on-pitch details..

Hene the infamous "gas out" stuff and us being right up there for statistically for the number of croses put in, and the desire over the summer to buy for a wing back system in which putting in lots of crosses is rather inherent.

We can't just deny things which are objectively true just because stating them can be perceived as criticism. Or perhaps we can. All part of the big sweep.

So a myth then, thanks 👍

3 hours ago, RAM1966 said:

Exactly this, take the option on the year or better still offer him a new contract, keep him till the end of the season and sell him in the summer window if he wants to go.  He will be a Championship player then (Hopefully) and worth more than he is in League 1.  Try for a cheeky loan back for a year deal.  Let Brighton and Fester part take in a Dutch Auction for him!

Just a loan or a cheeky loan….please clarify 😊

1 minute ago, Returning ram said:

So a myth then, thanks 👍

Nope, it's a fair assessment of what Warne values based on both spoken (direct from the horses mouth) and presented evidence. You can see it perfectly in today's first half - we've pressed relentlessly (with hard running) and all the goalscoring chances we've created ourselves have come from getting the ball into the box from wide areas.

Sweep, sweep, sweep.

59 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Nope, it's a fair assessment of what Warne values based on both spoken (direct from the horses mouth) and presented evidence. You can see it perfectly in today's first half - we've pressed relentlessly (with hard running) and all the goalscoring chances we've created ourselves have come from getting the ball into the box from wide areas.

Sweep, sweep, sweep.

Nope, he still didn't say it, nor is it a fair assessment. He said we need less touches to get the ball in the box, eg that's where you got goals from. He never said run harder, get it out wide and cross it, that's just made up.

Our chances today came from both, high pressing and getting the ball in the box, once again, part of a game plan implemented by the manager that was both entertaining and effective.