How good is our squad?

CongletonRam

10 hours ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I respect your opinion Tamworth but for me Derby County finishing 7th or 8th two years running in League Division 1 is not acceptable 

IMO, I suspect DC, PW and everyone else at the club would be very disappointed but not enough for PW to be sacked and certainly not enough for him to resign.

3 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

IMO, I suspect DC, PW and everyone else at the club would be very disappointed but not enough for PW to be sacked and certainly not enough for him to resign.

I agree. I think only a flirt with relegation would see PW get the chop.

I actually hope that is the case.

Personally, I'd take top 6, top 7 and take our chances in the play offs hopefully. If we don't go up, so be it. There's always next season, or even the one after that. Playing the long game is the only way this club will get back on it's feet.

Short term-ism almost destroyed this club. We must never let this happen again. We listen to the supporters calling for PW's head tantamount s to  pressing self destruct on the future of DCFC.

44 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

Personally, I'd take top 6, top 7 and take our chances in the play offs hopefully. If we don't go up, so be it. There's always next season, or even the one after that. Playing the long game is the only way this club will get back on it's feet.

Short term-ism almost destroyed this club. We must never let this happen again. We listen to the supporters calling for PW's head tantamount s to  pressing self destruct on the future of DCFC.

I really don’t think you get it (again I respect your opinion) but if Derby don’t make the play offs again this year in the worst standard Div 1 for years, attendance’s are going to seriously drop along with the corporate and sponsors! If you think David Clowes as a business man is not going to be seriously looking at the repercussions of this then sorry but your missing the point.

Yes he will not want to pay out the end of Warnes and his coaches contracts, but couple this against the above stated possible losses and the fact he could quite easily bring in another manager currently out of a job. Yes I know your gonna bring up stability within the club which is fine providing weve got the right man leading us in the right direction??

I seriously hope that Warne can turn things around, (ie play attractive football, while consistently win matches) make the play offs and win at Wembley, it’s possible but at the moment I very much doubt it!

3 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Ollie Watkins; 373 club appearances with 246outside the premiership.

I rest my case.

Our squad is on the whole made up of players that have played the majority of their careers in the lower leagues. It doesn't contain players that have excelled in lower leagues in their youth, and have risen up to the top of their profession. That is what Ollie Watkins has done.

Where is the comparison?

What point are you trying to make?

Please humour me and explain.

Just now, BaianoPOTY98 said:

I really don’t think you get it (again I respect your opinion) but if Derby don’t make the play offs again this year in the worst standard Div 1 for years, attendance’s are going to seriously drop along with the corporate and sponsors! If you think David Clowes as a business man is not going to be seriously looking at the repercussions of this then sorry but your missing the point.

Yes he will not want to pay out the end of Warnes and his coaches contracts, but couple this against the above stated possible losses and the fact he could quite easily bring in another manager currently out of a job. Yes I know your gonna bring up stability within the club which is fine providing weve got the right man leading us in the right direction??

I seriously hope that Warne can turn things around, (ie play attractive football, while consistently win matches) make the play offs and win at Wembley, it’s possible but at the moment I very much doubt it!

Exactly 

Every 1000 off the attendance is around £400k less a season. At what point can you not afford to change things.

I'm not saying I want him sacked now, but he has players coming back now and will have a virtually full squad by our next game. We need to see better performances and a top 6 position.

Again, I wouldn't swap our squad for any other in the league. The quality of our squad is only relevant in the context of who we are playing.  

7 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

A little condescending to suggest some of us don’t get the financial implications of not getting promoted this season. I think we all do but some of us, rightly or wrongly, don’t think narrowly missing out on the play offs would result in PW getting the sack.

1 hour ago, CongletonRam said:

I assume you realise 7th doesn’t get you in the play offs?

7 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

Clowes obviously wants promotion, but as an astute businessman, he will likely see the bigger picture.

Two or three seasons in Division One is not going to break the club. We have a good support base being a one club city, and while the advertising and sponsorship deals may not be quite as lucrative in the lower leagues, he will realise the importance of making the business of DCFC sustainable. Granted, that is easier the higher you make your way up the footballing pyramid, but a few seasons in the footballing wilderness might well just give the club the time it needs to sort itself out financially.

After what the fans have gone through, I dare say they wouldn't be too impatient to progress on the pitch. I'm quite happy to see some form of progress providing I can see what we are trying to achieve.

Warne was never known for playing attractive football. At Rotherham, he put round pegs in round holes and had his players work harder than the opposition. It's unfair to ask him to play attractive football. Winning football, yes.

16 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

Clowes obviously wants promotion, but as an astute businessman, he will likely see the bigger picture.

Two or three seasons in Division One is not going to break the club. We have a good support base being a one club city, and while the advertising and sponsorship deals may not be quite as lucrative in the lower leagues, he will realise the importance of making the business of DCFC sustainable. Granted, that is easier the higher you make your way up the footballing pyramid, but a few seasons in the footballing wilderness might well just give the club the time it needs to sort itself out financially.

After what the fans have gone through, I dare say they wouldn't be too impatient to progress on the pitch. I'm quite happy to see some form of progress providing I can see what we are trying to achieve.

Warne was never known for playing attractive football. At Rotherham, he put round pegs in round holes and had his players work harder than the opposition. It's unfair to ask him to play attractive football. Winning football, yes.

So what do you think will happen when or if the crowd turn against Warne and there’s booing every match? Am playing devils advocate here

9 hours ago, CongletonRam said:

Absolutely. Why are so many (actually most posters on this very thread) calling for our managers head. It's ludicrous.

So our players are average. A team should be greater than the sum of its parts! Why can't a good manager get better out of them? Why doesn't the manager look at their skills and use them accordingly rather than shoe-horn average players into a system they can't play? Why is our football so poor? Why is there only 'excitement' if we win?

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

So what do you think will happen when or if the crowd turn against Warne and there’s booing every match? Am playing devils advocate here

Well, this is the problem mate. I started this thread in response to the constant threads calling for Warne's head. In fairness to those fans though, Warne was brought in to secure promotion, so if we failed to do that, he has failed in his goals. I just wish we could have some stability at the club, abd we are never going to get that if fans are on the managers back at every turn.

53 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So our players are average. A team should be greater than the sum of its parts! Why can't a good manager get better out of them? Why doesn't the manager look at their skills and use them accordingly rather than shoe-horn average players into a system they can't play? Why is our football so poor? Why is there only 'excitement' if we win?

I don't disagree with you here RoyMac. We have every right to be critical over our performances, but calling for his head IMO isn't going to help.

Our squads not good enough to be the top 2 places in the league. Its not good enough to survive or be mid table in the championship.

The squad needs an overhaul. To actually spend money from a transfer budget.

I'd like owner to spend at least 2 million on a rebuild, but I don't see that happening at the moment.

Players and management are paid well to do a job.

If they aren't capable of succeeding in their chosen vocation, i suggest we shouldn't be employing them!

No team in Div 1 has world class players, but a good manager puts together a good team and gets results...eg Ipswich & Plymouth last season

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

A little condescending to suggest some of us don’t get the financial implications of not getting promoted this season. I think we all do but some of us, rightly or wrongly, don’t think narrowly missing out on the play offs would result in PW getting the sack.

In Warne's words, "If we don't get promoted, changes are needed"

The question in this scenario would be whether Clowes sticks with a manager who has "failed" for 2 seasons in a row and only make changes to the playing staff, or also change the management team

5 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Our squads not good enough to be the top 2 places in the league. Its not good enough to survive or be mid table in the championship.

The squad needs an overhaul. To actually spend money from a transfer budget.

I'd like owner to spend at least 2 million on a rebuild, but I don't see that happening at the moment.

I don't see any reason why our squad shouldn't be able to challenge for a top 2 place, but there is no reason why it should.

Any sign of quality in your squad and you'd propel up League One. It's a league that is shockingly short on quality and a mile off from even the most of the rather dross football that is served up in the Championship.