How good is our squad?

CongletonRam

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Probably a striker and a pacy CB (knowing Cash would likely leave and need a replacement). If you mean the exact names then I'd have to ask the recruitment team for names.

As I suspected, you criticise who we have signed but cannot name the 2 absolutely necessary players we needed. Obviously the recruitment team at Derby would have been involved in who we did sign.

40 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

As I suspected, you criticise who we have signed but cannot name the 2 absolutely necessary players we needed. Obviously the recruitment team at Derby would have been involved in who we did sign.

Lol, very funny I can't name two players for us to sign?! Next you'll be asking me how much to pay them. 🤣

22 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

Even on frees we missed out on Harris - Oxford, Smith and Knibbs - Reading.

Small fee strikers were May - Charlton, Pressley - Stevenage, JCH at £750k is small IMO.

All hindsight i know but maybe we could've spent Knight's money and then accepted Cashin's offer which could've covered running costs eventually? 

Also one question i'd like asked at one of these fan forums is 'How airtight are the restrictions on us?' Could we have signed JCH for £250k and given the other £500k or a bit more to sweeten the deal at the end of the season. I know its slimey and out of Mel's playbook but not covering costs and breaking FFP got us in this mess, not being sly on transfers.

1 minute ago, Curtains said:

There is a misconception out there that we could pay transfer fees.  It’s rubbish as we would have signed Alfie May or Clarke Harris. 

We hVe a business plan which we have agreed with the EFL. 
We have to monitor our spending with prudence 

There is no misconception as it has already been announced by the club that we could spend fees. Our first team management staff decided that it would be a better use of money to spend it on wages than on transfer fees - logic being we sign higher quality players. We will also pays fees for Washington, Fornah and Wilson upon promotion and selling them on.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There is no misconception as it has already been announced by the club that we could spend fees. Our first team management staff decided that it would be a better use of money to spend it on wages than on transfer fees - logic being we sign higher quality players. We will also pays fees for Washington, Fornah and Wilson upon promotion and selling them on.

Ok show me when that was said because you are wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The club should really have checked with us on here before announcing that false information.

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Show me when they announced that .

All I heard was Clowes saying we had a competitive budget for League 1 .

It's all a bit foggy, but the following suggests we can spend transfer fees now, just with caveats.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/03/derby-county-update-intermediary-fees

In accordance with the EFL business plan, the Club is only permitted to pay a maximum of 5 per cent in intermediary fees on any transfers. The actual figure paid on non-historic intermediary fees is circa £250,000.

I'd assume the 5% is on the transfer fee, but might be wrong.

Edited by oodledoodle

4 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

It's all a bit foggy, but the following suggests we can spend transfer fees now, just with caveats.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/03/derby-county-update-intermediary-fees

I'd assume the 5% is on the transfer fee, but might be wrong.

It’s to agents mate. 

What is a football intermediary?

Intermediaries are more commonly known as 'football agents'. An intermediary is someone who may be able to support you when you are ready to sign a registration with a club, renew your registration with your current club, or to sign a contract of employment 

How good is our squad? Good enough to get in the top two in this league in my opinion. Im still of a view that our players are not overly sold on the style of football they are being asked to play. I thought Hourihane was quite guarded when at the recent forum when talking about being adaptable to play to the managers requirements. 

Just now, Gerry Daly said:

Our squad is more than good enough to finish near the top of this division EXCEPT for the strikers. And therein lies the problem  

I agree that we could have better strikers, and we are are weaker up top than last season. But how many teams in league one have a stronger forward line than us? Not many, and I'd argue no more than one or two. And there are only 4 teams who have scored more than us, and two of those have a game in hand. I'd argue 22 teams in this league would happily swap for our front line.

I think a lot of the arguments that we have poor forwards are with our poor conversion rate. Collins is at 26%, one of the lowest in the top 10 scorers. I'd be more worried if we weren't creating chances.

Yes, that's me being positive. No, I'm not drunk.

13 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Even on frees we missed out on Harris - Oxford, Smith and Knibbs - Reading.

Small fee strikers were May - Charlton, Pressley - Stevenage, JCH at £750k is small IMO.

All hindsight i know but maybe we could've spent Knight's money and then accepted Cashin's offer which could've covered running costs eventually? 

Also one question i'd like asked at one of these fan forums is 'How airtight are the restrictions on us?' Could we have signed JCH for £250k and given the other £500k or a bit more to sweeten the deal at the end of the season. I know its slimey and out of Mel's playbook but not covering costs and breaking FFP got us in this mess, not being sly on transfers.

There were a lot of players I would have chosen for Warne's 352/3412 system over the players we did eventually get. It's difficult to know their reasons for going to other clubs, from not wanting to drop down to L1, not wanting to move to the area, not thinking they will suit Warne's system, etc.
At LWB, I would have liked Maxi Wittek (was at Vitesse but joined Bochum for £650k) or Derry Murkin (went from Volendam to Schalke for £700k), so I was a bit over ambitious with those.

Excluding the players who went to Championship clubs, here's a summary of who I would have gone for:
RCB: Matt Pennington (Blackpool)
LCB/CB: Lloyd Jones (Charlton)
RWB: Tom Hamer (available for £200-300k from Burton)
LWB: Jack Sparkes (Portsmouth), George Cox (Volendum)
CM: Jensen Weir (Brighton loan to Blackpool), Caleb Watts (Exeter), Cameron McGeehan (Colchester)
AM: Harvey Knibbs (Reading), Nathan Young-Combes (available on loan from Brentford), or Scott Banks (Palace loan to St Pauli)
CF: Aaron Pressley (Brentford loan to Stevenage), Tyler Walker (Lincoln), Sam Smith (Reading)

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

I agree that we could have better strikers, and we are are weaker up top than last season. But how many teams in league one have a stronger forward line than us? Not many, and I'd argue no more than one or two. And there are only 4 teams who have scored more than us, and two of those have a game in hand. I'd argue 22 teams in this league would happily swap for our front line.

I think a lot of the arguments that we have poor forwards are with our poor conversion rate. Collins is at 26%, one of the lowest in the top 10 scorers. I'd be more worried if we weren't creating chances.

Collins conversion rate isn’t high enough for the chances we create although his work rate is admirable.

I think Warne wanted another striker but wasn’t able to sign one .

Its something he will have to address IMO 

4 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

I think John Jules will make a massive difference if and when he gets fit. Also I imagine there may be some ins and outs in January

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

There were a lot of players I would have chosen for Warne's 352/3412 system over the players we did eventually get. It's difficult to know their reasons for going to other clubs, from not wanting to drop down to L1, not wanting to move to the area, not thinking they will suit Warne's system, etc.
At LWB, I would have liked Maxi Wittek (was at Vitesse but joined Bochum for £650k) or Derry Murkin (went from Volendam to Schalke for £700k), so I was a bit over ambitious with those.

Excluding the players who went to Championship clubs, here's a summary of who I would have gone for:
RCB: Matt Pennington (Blackpool)
LCB/CB: Lloyd Jones (Charlton)
RWB: Tom Hamer (available for £200-300k from Burton)
LWB: Jack Sparkes (Portsmouth), George Cox (Volendum)
CM: Jensen Weir (Brighton loan to Blackpool), Caleb Watts (Exeter), Cameron McGeehan (Colchester)
AM: Harvey Knibbs (Reading), Nathan Young-Combes (available on loan from Brentford), or Scott Banks (Palace loan to St Pauli)
CF: Aaron Pressley (Brentford loan to Stevenage), Tyler Walker (Lincoln), Sam Smith (Reading)

The reason for players going to other clubs was the 5 percent limit on agent fees IMO .

Players agents have massive power .