How good is our squad?

CongletonRam

There is clearly much difference of opinion when it comes to Paul Warne and whether or not he is doing a good job.

Some blame the manager, some the players, some the tactics but there is one theme that seems to be rather consistent, that the players could all be doing a bit more, that they are not playing to their potential. This is therefore suggesting that the players could and maybe should be tearing up this league assuming they are set up correctly.

I believe this is not to be the case and after going through the squad, I am even more convinced.

Joe Wildsmith: Used as a bit part player for Wednesday (74 games in 9 seasons).

Kane Wilson: Has played the majority of his career in League Two on loan at very small clubs.

Criag Forsyth: Has started to show signs particularly in recent games that age is catching up with him.

Conor Hourihane: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below (but did play in the Prem for a time at Villa)

Sonny Bradley: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below.

Eiran Cashin: A good prospect and will go on to play at a higher level, but both times I have listened to opposition radio commentary of our games, and in both games they claimed they were targeting Cashin for his lack of pace. Brighton were reportedly interested but the fact that he remains at Derby likely tells a tale.

Tom Barkhuizen: Released by Preston as he clearly wasn't considered good enough for them.

Max Bird: A good player at this level and has shown he can be a decent player in the Championship.

James Collins: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below.

Martyn Waghorn: 14 goals in his last 3 seasons. Any goal is a bonus.

Mendez-Liang: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below (but did play in the Prem for a season at Cardiff)

Korey Smith: A player who has yo-yo ed  between Division One and the Championship.

Scott Loach: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below.

Conor Washington: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below.

Liam Thompson: Not sure PW trusts Liam, as he struggles for playing time.

Louie Sibley: Needs to produce more and learn to be a little less rash in the tackle (or even learn to tackle if he is going to be played deeper)

Tyreece John Jules: 9 goals in 56 in the main at League One level. Hardlly prolific for a player who is dubbed a striker.

Callum Elder: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below.

Tyrese Fornah: Played the majority of his short career at League One level or below.

Joe Ward: Played the majority of his short career at League One level or below.

Josh Vickers: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below.

Jake Rooney: Played all of his short career at League One level or below.

Curtin Nelson: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below.

And there you have it, the Derby squad. It doesn't really shout out 'PROMOTION' to me.

Now you could look at other clubs and possibly say the same thing, but the point I am trying to make is that we are not a side that is likely to show remarkable improvement for the simple fact that we just don't have the players that are capable of bringing about significant change.

What is it that most fans see that is telling them we are currently underachieving?

Who are those good players that many clubs have that are going to make the difference for DCFC?

6 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

Curtin Nelson: Played the majority of his career at League One level or below. 

The last four seasons have been at Championship level.

I think he might have played a third of his games at Academy level, how poor is that? 😄

image.png

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, CongletonRam said:

Did you conveniently forget the 300 games he played at League One or below prior to Cardiff?

Why is that pertinent? As I said he started in the Academy! He last was good enough to play in the Championship. So Warne bought him to moan about how poor he was did he? 😄

I imagine many of our squad could say the same. They have played or are good enough to play in the Championship.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Why is that pertinent? As I said he started in the Academy! He last was good enough to play in the Championship. So Warne bought him to moan about how poor he was did he? 😄

I imagine many of our squad could say the same. They have played or are good enough to play in the Championship.

If you play the majority of your career outside of the Championship, there is a fair assumption that is your level.

He wasn't a regular starter in his last season at Cardiff and left the club by mutual consent. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the level to which he was playing.

Anything constructive to add RoyMac or are you just going to try and pick holes in my post. I know you are firmly in the 'Warne out' camp.

Just now, Rambalin said:

Go look at the squads of the teams promoted from this division plus the squads of the two teams currently sitting in first and second in this division.

You will find your argument does not hold much water once you do has if it did they would not have or will achieve promotion.

Read my post again, and see the bit, 'Now you could look at other clubs and possibly say the same thing'.

3 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

Anything constructive to add RoyMac or are you just going to try and pick holes in my post. I know you are firmly in the 'Warne out' camp.

You didn't answer why Warne bought him (and others) if they are so poor. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

You didn't answer why Warne bought him (and others) if they are so poor. 

I have never said they are poor. Stop misquoting me.

I have said they are average players.

Warne has always said that he missed out on targets. I think many/most players who he brought in were quite likely second/third choice signings.

2 minutes ago, CongletonRam said:

I have never said they are poor. Stop misquoting me.

I have said they are average players.

Warne has always said that he missed out on targets. I think many/most players who he brought in were quite likely second/third choice signings.

So we are in League 1 with average players bought in from the Championship. What are the other teams in League 1 doing?

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we are in League 1 with average players bought in from the Championship. What are the other teams in League 1 doing?

I am talking about our squad. Feel free to start a topic discussing all of the other clubs, but I'd prefer to stick to DCFC.

I'll say it again RoyMac, do you actually have anything constructive to add?

Just now, CongletonRam said:

I am talking about our squad. Feel free to start a topic discussing all of the other clubs, but I'd prefer to stick to DCFC.

I'll say it again RoyMac, do you actually have anything constructive to add?

You say average - how can you judge if you can't put them into a scale of players in this division. How are they average? 

2 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Apart from a handful of stand out players we are bang average. Nelson, Nyambe, Bird and Fornah have shown their quality. A number still injured so Rooney, Thomo & Ward should be in that group when fit.

I agree about the aforementioned players. They can produce moments. Of the 4 names you mentioned as showing glimpses, 3 of them are very young. They still have time to come good. Here's hoping.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You say average - how can you judge if you can't put them into a scale of players in this division. How are they average? 

Average players tend to play the majority of their careers in average leagues.

You are really clutching at straws here RoyMac.

1 minute ago, CongletonRam said:

And he's now playing in League one because...

I'm glad you brought him up though. What a bloody disappointment he is.

Mate, have you seen the rest of the squad too! They’re all playing in League One as well! How terrible they must be!  Why oh why isn’t our squad full of current Championship players?

Back on track… Korey Smith, 7 consecutive seasons at Championship level before signing for us…