How good is our squad?

CongletonRam

9 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Not sure there is a list but I do play golf (occasionally, and very badly) with a League One chief executive and last time out he told me he knew of at least three clubs who are spending very heavily this season and Derby (and his club) are not one of them. He said that Oxford's budget is eye-watering.

He told me that his club tried to sign a player in the summer but were blown out of the water on wages by Oxford.

There is certainly one player at Oxford we were signing till they came in last minute and we weren't in a position to match the wage offer at that point.  I understand we were also keen on one player they signed previous to this, but wouldn't match the wage they offered as it was deemed too high with other options we had in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

There is certainly one player at Oxford we were signing till they came in last minute and we weren't in a position to match the wage offer at that point.  I understand we were also keen on one player they signed previous to this, but wouldn't match the wage they offered as it was deemed too high with other options we had in the squad. 

This ties in with Warne saying early on that Oxford would be one of the favourites, I would imagine there is talk throughout football about who is doing what.

26 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

Not sure there is a list but I do play golf (occasionally, and very badly) with a League One chief executive and last time out he told me he knew of at least three clubs who are spending very heavily this season and Derby (and his club) are not one of them. He said that Oxford's budget is eye-watering.

He told me that his club tried to sign a player in the summer but were blown out of the water on wages by Oxford.

This would’ve been about right IMO 

Edited by Curtains
Added word

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Would you swap Oxford's squad for ours?

How many of their players would get in our team? 2? 3?

That question can only be answered by someone who has watched Oxford at length this season and studied what every player has to offer in their individual position, then compared them to our squad.

Maybe you have done that...have you?

11 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Billy Bodin

Genuine question, how many full games have you seen Oxford play to come up with these names?

Billy Bodin for example. According to the Oxford website he is a 31 year old forward that has scored just twice in 11 league games (717 minutes played). Is that much of a better return than from our existing squad?

Are any of those players suitable for Warne's system? What attributes do they have that Warne would make use of, that the players he does have don't possess?

Warne has shown that he has a strict way of playing and that the players he has at his disposal need to fit into certain defined roles, do certain tasks demanded of the system almost regardless of whether their attributes are a match for that job or not.

Unless Oxford are a team, like us, who mainly utilise the wings and they're doing a better job of it than we are due to having these players then it's quite a useless comparison, is it not?

Edited by Kokosnuss

16 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Genuine question, how many full games have you seen Oxford play to come up with these names?

Billy Bodin for example. According to the Oxford website he is a 31 year old forward that has scored just twice in 11 league games (717 minutes played). Is that much of a better return than from our existing squad?

It’s not me that’s criticising our squad .

He is an attacking midfielder .

I don’t watch Oxford but it’s common knowledge they have a good squad. 

Edited by Curtains
Added

53 minutes ago, sage said:

1k on an attendance is worth around 400k per annum in income.

That assumes the average gross ticket price is £20 per head (ie £16.66 once VAT is taken out). Given concessions and season ticket discounts I reckon it may well be quite a bit below that.

I did some work for Doncaster Rovers before the pandemic - the season they reached the L1 play-offs - and their average supporter contribution was £13.40 per head. That was net of taxes but did include f&b and programme sales revenues. Didn't include hospitality covers.

Obviously not a like for like comparison but it was an eye opener to me.

6 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Are any of those players suitable for Warne's system? What attributes do they have that Warne would make use of, that the players he does have don't possess?

Harris was the one that was coming till a offer came in from Oxford we couldn't match rather than wouldn't. This resulted a bigger pocket being available and we have brought in a few since..  I can't honestly comment on his attributes other than he looked a decent player at this level when he played us. 

7 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

That assumes the average gross ticket price is £20 per head (ie £16.66 once VAT is taken out). Given concessions and season ticket discounts I reckon it may well be quite a bit below that.

I did some work for Doncaster Rovers before the pandemic - the season they reached the L1 play-offs - and their average supporter contribution was £13.40 per head. That was net of taxes but did include f&b and programme sales revenues. Didn't include hospitality covers.

Obviously not a like for like comparison but it was an eye opener to me.

Plus shirts, programmes, sponsorship, hospitality etc.