Match abandoned

NottsRam

Scunthorpe might have scored twice in those 4 minutes, so I can see why the ref couldn't blow for full time - and I can't see both teams agreeing if the losing side can see a chance to have another go.

Perhaps some refs would've said "look we've got 4 minutes to get this done, play nice and it saves everyone the rematch" but it does kind of need the Goodwill of each side to do that.

According to a report from Buxton's manager:

“The referee blew his whistle, said he'd blown up for full-time to me and ran down the tunnel and shut his door on me. He didn't want a conversation with either manager and no one knew what was going off.

“There was no opportunity to say let's go back out 15 minutes later and see if it's stopped raining. It is a complete farce to be honest.

“It would have been one of the biggest results in the club's history – it is such a shame.

1 hour ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

And what makes it even more ridiculous is that Buxton had a player sent off and his red card stands, meaning he’s suspended this weekend.  If the result doesn’t stand due to abandonment how can the red card stand too??  Madness!!

We are talking about Buxton you know, a team from Derbyshire.

16 hours ago, Anon said:

It's difficult to comment without being able to see the conditions. In my opinion common sense dictates that you play out those final minutes unless the conditions are extreme. I really struggle to see how it could be so dangerous that they couldn't make it through an extra 10 minutes on the day to avoid all this rigmarole.

On 12/09/2023 at 20:54, FlyBritishMidland said:

And what makes it even more ridiculous is that Buxton had a player sent off and his red card stands, meaning he’s suspended this weekend.  If the result doesn’t stand due to abandonment how can the red card stand too??  Madness!!

Suppose it depends what it was for.

Violent conduct, or say a two footed challenge that an opponent is lucky to walk away from without a broken leg should still carry a suspension even if a match is abandoned imo.

2 yellows for poorly timed challenges just forget about it.

Edited by Kokosnuss

• 3 weeks later...

In boxing if the fight goes past 4 rounds then you can go to the judges scores. Which seems really open to corruption in a corrupt sport. 4 rounds! In football that would be 30minutes into the first half! 

90 mins is taking the pee. Can't pretend it didn't exist after playing the entire allocated time!! 

Leyton Orient vs Lincoln abandoned last night on 82 mins. Medical emergency in the crowd. (Sadly the person involved passed away)

"Around 20 fans sat down on the pitch" to get the game stopped.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12976616/man-dies-after-leyton-orient-match-with-lincoln-city-abandoned-due-to-medical-emergency-in-crowd

Edited by Kokosnuss