How many points?

DCFC1388

So since the start of the season there have been plenty of threads about Warne & individual players, both good & bad. There has been alot of varied opinions on how we have played etc too.

However, at the start of the season, when looking at the first 6 games how many points did you expect us to get? We're currently sat on 9 points, our target is 2 points a game so we're at 1.5 points currently. 18 was never going to happen, I think City are the only team in the top 4 leagues with a 100% record.

Personally, I thought we would get 10, maybe 11. I thought we would win all 3 home games, draw away at Burton & maybe get a draw at Bolton but that was more hope than expected. So to me, we are 1 point off where I thought we would be. 

Could the performances have been better, of course they could & im sure both management & players will say the same thing. Injuries havent helped, nor have ref decisions & individual mistakes. All 3 losses have come from individual mistakes, plus some poor officiating, so we could quite easily be sat here with 3 draws instead of defeats & on 12 points....thats all despite not playing all that well. 

I think this international break has come at the right time for us. It gives injured players like Thompson & Sibley to come back in, it sounds like Bird & Wilson arent too far off too, it also gives the likes of Embleton & Barkhuizen (& probably Waghorn) chance to improve their fitness with a behind closed doors game planned as well as getting the 3 most recent signings upto speed on tactics etc

Its too early to judge just yet, we hit our stride Oct/Nov time last season & I do feel after this break we will start to hit abit of form. The fixtures look abit more favourable than the opening 6 did. Win our next 2 games & we are on 15 points from 8 games  so just behind the targeted 2 points a game.

So lets ease off the team, individuals & management abit. Lets wait & see how we look with a more settled team & with the injured players back plus new signings settled in. There are no standout teams at this level, if we hit our stride & get some consistency we have a good enough squad to be challenging for top 2 imo. The lower end of the table is pretty poor & we could put a good run of results together. Our fixtures for Sept & Oct look decent with Blackpool away & Pompey at home looking the hardest.

So after all that, ignore the performances for a minute & just think points wise, are we that far off/behind what you expected?

Roll on the Pompey game, COYR

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

So since the start of the season there have been plenty of threads about Warne & individual players, both good & bad. There has been alot of varied opinions on how we have played etc too.

However, at the start of the season, when looking at the first 6 games how many points did you expect us to get? We're currently sat on 9 points, our target is 2 points a game so we're at 1.5 points currently. 18 was never going to happen, I think City are the only team in the top 4 leagues with a 100% record.

Personally, I thought we would get 10, maybe 11. I thought we would win all 3 home games, draw away at Burton & maybe get a draw at Bolton but that was more hope than expected. So to me, we are 1 point off where I thought we would be. 

Could the performances have been better, of course they could & im sure both management & players will say the same thing. Injuries havent helped, nor have ref decisions & individual mistakes. All 3 losses have come from individual mistakes, plus some poor officiating, so we could quite easily be sat here with 3 draws instead of defeats & on 12 points....thats all despite not playing all that well. 

I think this international break has come at the right time for us. It gives injured players like Thompson & Sibley to come back in, it sounds like Bird & Wilson arent too far off too, it also gives the likes of Embleton & Barkhuizen (& probably Waghorn) chance to improve their fitness with a behind closed doors game planned as well as getting the 3 most recent signings upto speed on tactics etc

Its too early to judge just yet, we hit our stride Oct/Nov time last season & I do feel after this break we will start to hit abit of form. The fixtures look abit more favourable than the opening 6 did. Win our next 2 games & we are on 15 points from 8 games  so just behind the targeted 2 points a game.

So lets ease off the team, individuals & management abit. Lets wait & see how we look with a more settled team & with the injured players back plus new signings settled in. There are no standout teams at this level, if we hit our stride & get some consistency we have a good enough squad to be challenging for top 2 imo. The lower end of the table is pretty poor & we could put a good run of results together. Our fixtures for Sept & Oct look decent with Blackpool away & Pompey at home looking the hardest.

So after all that, ignore the performances for a minute & just think points wise, are we that far off/behind what you expected?

well, we might all feel much better if we’d avoided the defeats. But defeats are not the end of the world -   W, W, L is better than W, D, D. Unless you’re losing to someone who will pip you for 6th place that is 

Think the next run (6) of matches will show us were we are under PW. In hindsight our opening fixtures were tough although all our defeats have come against promotion rivals. A criticism of PW last season. 

Not sure what to say if we win 3 and lose 3 of the next 6. Personally think top 6 is about our limit this season. My love for PW has waned but it does feel like he needs to be given every opportunity before a tough decision may need to be made.

Looking at my penciled in predictions i had us at 11 points after 6 games so not far away,however its the performances that concern me more than points on the board at this stage .We need to improve big time,next game i feel is tough then the next five fixtures look ok i think 12 points minimum from those,lets see were we are after 12 games

26 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Looking at my penciled in predictions i had us at 11 points after 6 games so not far away,however its the performances that concern me more than points on the board at this stage .We need to improve big time,next game i feel is tough then the next five fixtures look ok i think 12 points minimum from those,lets see were we are after 12 games

Nail hit firmly on head. I would imagine most people expected us to beat both Wigan and Oxford. Whilst we need to beat fancied teams, if we’re being honest, the win at Peterborough was a bonus and a draw was probably a more realistic expectation. So that would have put us on 11 points. However, as you say, it’s the performances that is the worry. Hopefully the players will begin to gel, the midfield will grow stronger and we’ll start to reduce the number of costly individual errors. At the moment though, it feels like more of a Hope than an expectation.

9 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

I originally thought 18. 

So we are 50% there and currently on course to finish the season on 69 points and will be safe from relegation.

20 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Nail hit firmly on head. I would imagine most people expected us to beat both Wigan and Oxford. Whilst we need to beat fancied teams, if we’re being honest, the win at Peterborough was a bonus and a draw was probably a more realistic expectation. So that would have put us on 11 points. However, as you say, it’s the performances that is the worry. Hopefully the players will begin to gel, the midfield will grow stronger and we’ll start to reduce the number of costly individual errors. At the moment though, it feels like more of a Hope than an expectation.

Correction, I meant 13 points.

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Top post mate, bit more patience required

At this point in the season I feel to an extent I do feel there is some laxity around ppg. 

I think it's more important to see good performances and signs of growing cohesion because its indicative of how well we will perform over the season as a whole. If your wins are scrappy and your loses are poor then wins will more than likely dry up at some point.  Whereas if your playing well but it's not quite showing in results, the results will likely follow with a bit of time.

On 03/09/2023 at 22:32, DCFC1388 said:

Bird almost back from ankle ligament damage , wow , we must have a fantastic medical team. The point is that every team has injuries throughout the season and you need enough players to get over it . The way Cambridge got “Stuck In “ last night we will get more injuries shortly . The squad looks thinner  than last season but in a poor league we should have no problem making the play offs.