So who would we have then?

Gerry Daly

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He’s said previously that he wish he could’ve managed Derby to be fair - I think he was in contention when we opted for Lampard instead. 

He and Rowett were interviewed when Pearson got the job.When asked, why he should get the job he said because it would guarantee Derby promotion to the Premier League. He then opened his phone and went through the leaders in the betting for the vacancy and quickly wrote off the other contenders. He was ruthless and dismissive in what he said about them. Mel then came to the conclusion that the entire football world had reached years before; Colin was too outspoken! Mel did not feel that they would get on!

Rowett was still at Birmingham at the time but was desperate for the Derby job and had been led to believe that if he came for an interview he would be the chosen one. He attended without telling Birmingham. When he asked for feedback, he was told that he had a really good interview but Pearson had an outstanding one and answered every question perfectly. Mel believed that he and Pearson were a perfect fit for each other!

Warnock had just left Rotherham after keeping them in the Championship and presiding over the 3-3 comeback against us at home. He went next to Cardiff where he became the first manager to achieve eight promotions, overtaking us and taking Cardiff to the Premier League.

The source of this information was on the interview panel.

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

He and Rowett were interviewed when Pearson got the job.When asked, why he should get the job he said because it would guarantee Derby promotion to the Premier League. He then opened his phone and went through the leaders in the betting for the vacancy and quickly wrote off the other contenders. He was ruthless and dismissive in what he said about them. Mel then came to the conclusion that the entire football world had reached years before; Colin was too outspoken! Mel did not feel that they would get on!

Rowett was still at Birmingham at the time but was desperate for the Derby job and had been led to believe that if he came for an interview he would be the chosen one. He attended without telling Birmingham. When he asked for feedback, he was told that he had a really good interview but Pearson had an outstanding one and answered every question perfectly. Mel believed that he and Pearson were a perfect fit for each other!

Warnock had just left Rotherham after keeping them in the Championship and presiding over the 3-3 comeback against us at home. He went next to Cardiff where he became the first manager to achieve eight promotions, overtaking us and taking Cardiff to the Premier League.

The source of this information was on the interview panel.

Mel couldn't cope with a larger ego than his own.  A pity, he could of sold a EPL club rather than placing us in admin....  Now the crowd sing that they are both Merchant Bankers....

1 hour ago, RAM1966 said:

Mel couldn't cope with a larger ego than his own.  A pity, he could of sold a EPL club rather than placing us in admin....  Now the crowd sing that they are both Merchant Bankers....

Mel's ego was his downfall. He knew nothing about football but tried to bluff his way through and pretend that he did; his folly almost cost us the very existence of our football club. He knows now that he is a busted flush in the football world and thankfully we won't be hearing from him again.

As for Warnock, in the football world, he's like Marmite. When Derby played against his sides, we hated him but would we have done so if he had become our manager? I doubt it; I think we'd have loved him for his energy and enthusiasm and certainly if he'd come here in 2016 and got us promoted as he did for Cardiff. Who knows if he'd done that we might have never ended up in administration? But Mel knew best.

Remember also that Warnock was perceptive enough, like Mick McCarthy, to turn down down Fawaz who wanted him to replace Billy Davies at Forest because Warnock said that the offer didn't make sense.

Warnock was a winger who made his League debut for Chesterfield in 1967. Fifty-six years later he's still in football. How many could do that without having a lot of talent? He retired from playing in the EFL at Crewe and joined Burton Albion in the NPL where he played alongside Kevin Hector and Ian Storey-Moore. He waxes lyrical about that in his autobiography and tells you of what an honour it was to play with such legends who were still at the end of their great careers but the best players he ever played with.

I met him away from the football field and found him just a refreshing and enthusiastic personality who loved and lived for football. I wish now that Mel had chosen him instead of Pearson or Rowett in 2016; our recent history might have been very much better. I think that Warnock chose the right career. He achieved far more in football than he would have in merchant banking and really in football terms, he shouldn't be mentioned alongside Mel Morris. Just my opinion though but I still wish we'd have given him a try.

19 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Warnock was a winger who made his League debut for Chesterfield in 1967. Fifty-six years later he's still in football. How many could do that without having a lot of talent? He retired from playing in the EFL at Crewe and joined Burton Albion in the NPL where he played alongside Kevin Hector and Ian Storey-Moore. He waxes lyrical about that in his autobiography and tells you of what an honour it was to play with such legends who were still at the end of their great careers but the best players he ever played with.

I didn't know that, I like him even more now. #COYR

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Mel's ego was his downfall. He knew nothing about football but tried to bluff his way through and pretend that he did; his folly almost cost us the very existence of our football club. He knows now that he is a busted flush in the football world and thankfully we won't be hearing from him again.

As for Warnock, in the football world, he's like Marmite. When Derby played against his sides, we hated him but would we have done so if he had become our manager? I doubt it; I think we'd have loved him for his energy and enthusiasm and certainly if he'd come here in 2016 and got us promoted as he did for Cardiff. Who knows if he'd done that we might have never ended up in administration? But Mel knew best.

Remember also that Warnock was perceptive enough, like Mick McCarthy, to turn down down Fawaz who wanted him to replace Billy Davies at Forest because Warnock said that the offer didn't make sense.

I met him away from the football field and found him just a refreshing and enthusiastic personality who loved and lived for football. I wish now that Mel had chosen him instead of Pearson or Rowett in 2016; our recent history might have been very much better. I think that Warnock chose the right career. He achieved far more in football than he would have in merchant banking and really in football terms, he shouldn't be mentioned alongside Mel Morris. Just my opinion though but I still wish we'd have given him a try.

100% bang on!

On 22/09/2023 at 04:55, 8Leeds said:

The more I’ve thought about it the more I think Warburton would be a good shout if we decide to part ways with Warne. 

Warburtons forest side were basically what we had under rosenior

lots of sideways and backwards passing, zero shots on goal and easy to play against

we all moaned like little bitches about rosenior warburton would get no more time or patience to implement his totally new style to what we have now and the merry go round of different managers starts again 

6 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

lots of sideways and backwards passing, zero shots on goal and easy to play against

we all moaned like little bitches about rosenior warburton would get no more time or patience to implement his totally new style to what we have now and the merry go round of different managers starts again 

That’s quite a sweeping statement saying we ALL moaned like bitches, I think you mean some of us did.

Any way, I’m sure we’d give him a year 😉

Edited by 8Leeds

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

I didn’t, remember us having 30 shots in one away game under Liam…

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I didn’t, remember us having 30 shots in one away game under Liam…

Yeah I think those that say we "all" disliked Rosenior's football are generally those that thought Warne's basic football was the key to this division and now it's turning out not to be can't accept not everyone was behind the appointment at the time.