Car accident advice

admira

I was driving home from the supermarket Sunday, minding my own business when I spotted a car driving erratically behind me.  

As the lights were changing ahead, I slowed down and they ploughed straight into the back of me.

As I turned around to get out, I saw them from my side window, hastily doing a U-turn, despite it being a dual carriageway and the lights being red and they sped off back in the direction they had come from.

Luckily I managed to memorize their registration number and write it in my phone before calling 999, thinking they'd be interested in helping since leaving the scene of an accident, especially without checking if anyone is hurt is illegal I believe.

I was given a crime number, which I've chased a couple of times but I've been met with nothing but apathy from the police. I've been told they will call me "at some point". Meanwhile, the other driver is probably getting the front of his car fixed so if and when someone does knock on his door, he can deny all knowledge, despite traces of their paint being all over my broken bumper.

My investigations seem to suggest that the other driver is insured and his tax and MOT are up to date so not sure why he did what he did.

Having spoken to my insurance company, they were pleased that I managed to get the reg number and will be pursuing it. My broker did say that my premiums will increase though, despite it not being my fault.  I still have to fork out for the excess, deposit for the courtesy car and suffer general inconvenience of it all while mine is being repaired.

Has anyone else suffered a similar problem? Will the police care less? Will I end up out of pocket?

1b.jpg

1a.jpg

The Police will get in touch...when I do not know, My brother had a very expensive mountain bike stolen outside a shop as he called in for a sandwich for work, All on CCTV and the thief who took it, He got the CCTV from the shop supplied it to the Police for their investigation...guess what...nowt.

You'll be met with...we'll look into it, They'll tell you to get in touch with your insurance company with the details and crime number...as you have, It's a waiting game as this is not seen as a life or death incident to them, But be aware if you have been caught speeding by one of their camaras you'll be hounded for the penalty.

Not what you want to hear unfortunately...hope all works out for you 👍    

3 hours ago, admira said:

The RAM in my back window wasn't an invitation!

No, but the Huddersfield Town sticker was!

All the best, the joys of under funded police forces, call centre driven insurance companies and algorithm fuelled response reporting. The world is crying out for a company who just pick up the phone and listen, even if they would go bust in six months probably.

5 hours ago, admira said:

I was driving home from the supermarket Sunday, minding my own business when I spotted a car driving erratically behind me.  

As the lights were changing ahead, I slowed down and they ploughed straight into the back of me.

As I turned around to get out, I saw them from my side window, hastily doing a U-turn, despite it being a dual carriageway and the lights being red and they sped off back in the direction they had come from.

Luckily I managed to memorize their registration number and write it in my phone before calling 999, thinking they'd be interested in helping since leaving the scene of an accident, especially without checking if anyone is hurt is illegal I believe.

I was given a crime number, which I've chased a couple of times but I've been met with nothing but apathy from the police. I've been told they will call me "at some point". Meanwhile, the other driver is probably getting the front of his car fixed so if and when someone does knock on his door, he can deny all knowledge, despite traces of their paint being all over my broken bumper.

My investigations seem to suggest that the other driver is insured and his tax and MOT are up to date so not sure why he did what he did.

Having spoken to my insurance company, they were pleased that I managed to get the reg number and will be pursuing it. My broker did say that my premiums will increase though, despite it not being my fault.  I still have to fork out for the excess, deposit for the courtesy car and suffer general inconvenience of it all while mine is being repaired.

Has anyone else suffered a similar problem? Will the police care less? Will I end up out of pocket?

1b.jpg

1a.jpg

Similar thing happened with my sister. A numpty stoved into the side of her car coming out of a slip road onto a dual carriage way. He initially pulled over but when my sister got out of her car, he sped off.

She was in shock and didn't manage to get his reg number. However there was a camera a few hundred yards down the road that would have picked up his distinctive looking car.

Long story short the police are apparently only obliged to investigate if anyone is hurt and an ambulance has been called. It's  ludicrous that you have to feign injury and take an ambulance out of service to get them to investigate. 

It leaves you with a moral dilemma should it happen again, even though several offences have been committed. Yet more crimes that have been decriminalised. 

Sorry I couldn't give you better news. However bear in mind I live in a different part of the country than you so your local force may deal with it differently to mine. 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

No, but the Huddersfield Town sticker was!

All the best, the joys of under funded police forces, call centre driven insurance companies and algorithm fuelled response reporting. The world is crying out for a company who just pick up the phone and listen, even if they would go bust in six months probably.

Huddersfield Town!

You’re  clearly not a fan of the greatest man in rock and roll! 

21 hours ago, admira said:

They’ve been in touch now. Other driver lives out of county so they have to refer it to a different force. 

Right this is clearly a hit and run, Driver at fault leaves the scene without giving details, You report to the police and they get back to you that the offender lives in another County.

My question, The incident/crime why is it being passed to the offenders County Police force when clearly the crime happened in the county you were in at the time.

Confused.com 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Right this is clearly a hit and run, Driver at fault leaves the scene without giving details, You report to the police and they get back to you that the offender lives in another County.

My question, The incident/crime why is it being passed to the offenders County Police force when clearly the crime happened in the county you were in at the time.

Confused.com 🤷‍♂️

Prob because they are not allowed to go knock on his door. There will be simple economics behind this rule. You wouldn't want Derbyshire police driving down to Kent for example to check for car damage. 

On 08/08/2023 at 11:12, admira said:

1b.jpg

1a.jpg

Might have been driving intoxicated hence the runner ? 

On 08/08/2023 at 17:43, admira said:

They’ve been in touch now. Other driver lives out of county so they have to refer it to a different force. 

Any trial would be in the jurisdiction where the offence took place. It's obviously a matter of urgency, so sadly you have to be a nuisance and keep the pressure on the local force in the hope that, for a quiet life, they put pressure on the other county force to make an initial enquiry and look for damage on the car. But the investigating force is your local force, so it sounds a bit weird. 

Sorry about the accident.

How's that a write off? Unless you have chassis damage, hard to see how they have come to that conclusion.

As for the police, they need a case handed to them on a plate to be remotely interested.

Wouldn't expect anything to come from that.

1 minute ago, David said:

How's that a write off? Unless you have chassis damage, hard to see how they have come to that conclusion.

As for the police, they need a case handed to them on a plate to be remotely interested.

Wouldn't expect anything to come from that.

Guessing it’s an equation of having to repair so much that it comes close to the value of the car, so it’s not worth doing. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Guessing it’s an equation of having to repair so much that it comes close to the value of the car, so it’s not worth doing. 

Reckon it was the Huddersfield Town sticker in the rear window