Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

21 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is a weird obsession with Musk, both from his followers and his haters.

I'm not sure it's about Musk so much as the human need to build people up to be heroes, and then knock them back down when they get too big for their boots. The tabloids do this stuff all the time. It sells. The fascination is not so much Musk himself, but in seeing this revered business man with seemingly super human business decision making, exposing all his character flaws and weaknesses like no-one has ever done before. 

It's about how we like to see these people come crashing down because in whatever way suits us (political, personal life, business acumen), it makes each of us feel superior. 

Edited by therealhantsram

35 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

There is a weird obsession with Musk, both from his followers and his haters.

Which is undoubtedly what he wants. 

Imagine for a moment if he were a billionaire recluse that was happy enough to invest in all the stuff he does, without any need for external validation or publicity?

44 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I'm not sure it's about Musk so much as the human need to build people up to be heroes, and then knock them back down when they get too big for their boots. The tabloids do this stuff all the time. It sells. The fascination is not so much Musk himself, but in seeing this revered business man with seemingly super human business decision making, exposing all his character flaws and weaknesses like no-one has ever done before. 

It's about how we like to see these people come crashing down because in whatever way suits us (political, personal life, business acumen), it makes each of us feel superior. 

I would agree that at the heart of it, this is not about Musk personally, just the way he's destroyed Twitter to the point it's barely usable.

It's just the surrounding stories become entertaining through frustration of his decisions.

I hold on to the hope he wakes up one morning and sells it on whilst their is a few valuable crumbs left to sell.

On 11/12/2023 at 08:15, David said:

I would agree that at the heart of it, this is not about Musk personally, just the way he's destroyed Twitter to the point it's barely usable.

It's just the surrounding stories become entertaining through frustration of his decisions.

I hold on to the hope he wakes up one morning and sells it on whilst their is a few valuable crumbs left to sell.

There definitely is a personal element to it now though imo. The more he hobnobs with and praises questionable figures on the right, the more he invites pelters from the left. And I think a lot of it is justified.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

On 11/12/2023 at 14:26, therealhantsram said:

Haters will always hate, but Musk has defeated his haters over the last five years.

image.jpeg.f18af9624a3d7df404b71a823a09474a.jpeg

Edited by cstand

Short sellers who bet against Musk/Tesla since 2010 lost 54 Billion dollars more than Musk paid for twitter.

Two of the short sellers that ridiculed Musk and Tesla and his cult followers, have nearly gone bankrupt.

Jim Chanos closed his company due to losses and David Einhorn went from 15 billion dollars to 1.5 billion.

They both laughed at Musk thinking he would fail but they are not laughing now.

I would agree like most tech stocks Tesla is overpriced but young investors ignore these fundamentals. 

Will Musk succeed changing X into a super app, well I have no crystal ball but I certainly would not bet against him. 

Edited by cstand

22 minutes ago, cstand said:

Short sellers who bet against Musk/Tesla since 2010 lost 54 Billion dollars more than Musk paid for twitter.

Two of the short sellers that ridiculed Musk and Tesla and his cult followers, have nearly gone bankrupt.

Jim Chanos closed his company due to losses and David Einhorn went from 15 billion dollars to 1.5 billion.

They both laughed at Musk thinking he would fail but they are not laughing now.

Good. Short sellers are just another scourge - along with people who use their power and influence to manipulate stock...cough...Elon Musk...cough

31 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Good. Short sellers are just another scourge - along with people who use their power and influence to manipulate stock...cough...Elon Musk...cough

If Musk did not fight back against the short sellers him and Tesla would have been toast. 

Edited by cstand

49 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

The Cloudflare Radar report for 2023 is out and I suspect a certain someone is going to be fuming. Not even in the Top 10 of most visited websites/apps. $14b well spent sir!

Surely even Musky has worked out that he's ****** it into a cocked hat by now 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Had to laugh at a tweet by official Wrexham gloating that they had won the local derby v Newport County,,    Someone replied “ how’s that a derby ? Just two clubs in the same country. So by your logic Plymouth play Sunderland soon in the big  grudge derby !!! “ 😂.   Sounds like they are trying to create a rivalry ala Fester .

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting to see that Twitter are now planning a feature to "see dissimilar posts" supposedly to allow users to see stuff that “challenges their perspectives . . . improving the quality and balance of information they receive.”

Sounds suspiciously like a way to drive more argument...sorry...engagement on the platform. On paper it sounds like an OK idea  if you could believe that everyone on Twitter who likes to loudly express their opinions is ever going to change their mind after reading a post that contradicts what they think, and not just pile in for more arguments

• 2 weeks later...

Remember when he said that the paid blue tick system would get rid of the bots?

And then said he would pay out to blue tick accounts based on how much engagement they generate?

What could go wrong, other than people paying for blue ticks and then setting up bots to auto-generate replies in the hope that they might earn some Musk Dollars...

image.thumb.png.812dd86df11e386dbfa8c6b68cf877dd.png

On 11/12/2023 at 15:15, David said:

I find the opposite. Before Musk bought Twitter it just seemed full of lightweight nonsense, but X is stimulating reading. I follow about 30 posters and I get far more from their contributions than I ever got from a newspaper. 

Edited by Normanton Lad

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

And then said he would pay out to blue tick accounts based on how much engagement they generate?

What could go wrong, other than people paying for blue ticks and then setting up bots to auto-generate replies in the hope that they might earn some Musk Dollars...

That's actually hilarious. I'd not noticed this at all.

11 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

8 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

That's actually hilarious. I'd not noticed this at all.

It extends way beyond stock responses. I'm not sure whether it's a "football twitter" thing, but the replies to the posts I see are just full of blue-tick OnlyFans girls/bots.

That and the prioritisation of the blue tick in the replies is just another example of the app being worse than it was a year ago.