Closing of stands for 'smaller' games

CornwallRam

For Fozzy's testimonial and for most cup games the club now closes half the ground. 

I sit in the West Stand and part of the appeal is sitting with matchday friends. I also heard a South Stander on Radio Derby saying he doesn't go to games when the South Stand is closed.

Clearly the club are doing it as it some analysis has shown it will save money. I wonder if it actually does though. I hardly ever go if I can't sit in 'my' seat and I always would if I could.

Any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not really. Stewarding and staffing costs for those stands far outweigh those like yourself that wouldn't go.

Basically this.  Would we get more money in by opening it than would be made by leaving it closed.  For a testimonial, the equation is even more important as the money doesn't go to the club - so either the testimonial trust pay it, or the club (for no income).

The ground would look very sparse if every seat was available, but only 15% sold - TV cameras are in west stand, so makes sense to leave that empty to give the "impression" it is busier than it really is.

29 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

For Fozzy's testimonial and for most cup games the club now closes half the ground. 

I sit in the West Stand and part of the appeal is sitting with matchday friends. I also heard a South Stander on Radio Derby saying he doesn't go to games when the South Stand is closed.

Clearly the club are doing it as it some analysis has shown it will save money. I wonder if it actually does though. I hardly ever go if I can't sit in 'my' seat and I always would if I could.

Any thoughts?

That would be me on the radio 🙂

No my opinion is that I wont go to the games if the South Stand is not open. Just my personal preference. However, I totally understand the costs involved and can see why they do it, from a South Stand point of view though, if you want atmosphere this stand needs to be open for any competitive fixture.

For low level fixture such as friendlies, Papa etc it's just not cost effective to have the catering facilities, stewards etc in stands that wont even top 200 odd..

For me the East Stand and South is a perfect fit. Want to sit and watch the game you go East and if you want some atmosphere you go South. 

2 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

One answer would be to always open the South Stand and alternate opening between West and East Stand. See which gets the best attendance. The West stand is always open to some degree as the Director’s Box is always open.

It'll always be the East stand for camera purposes, showing an empty stand wouldn't be a good look. The directors box doesn't need the same extent of stewards, security and match day staff as a fully opened stand would. 

Quite enjoy sitting somewhere different now and again. Change is as good as a rest, as they say.  The atmosphere for these games is also always pretty poor, as there’s hardly anyone there anyway.

Opening up the whole ground to satisfy a few people who won’t go if they can’t sit in their seat wouldn’t make much difference to attendance ( probably a very small number who think like that).  It would also make what little atmosphere there is even worse, as it would be even more dissipated.  

8 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

Any thoughts?

It is only one game you could always see if people sitting near you to see were they are going.

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

If we are so “Massive”, how come we get 3,000 fans at some games? Only 23,000 Rams fans for the game v West Ham Utd last season. Fans have got to get out of those comfy armchairs.

I was at the game, but to be honest West Ham as a draw was about as dull as it gets.

Didums so  some people can't sit in their own seat.

I normally sit in the East Stand, for the big FA cup games I'm forced to sit elsewhere, due to my seat being given over to the away fans.

As for the other FA and League cup games, where only a couple of stands are open and there's no reserved seats for season ticket holders. If I don't buy my ticket as soon as they go on sale, I often end up moving to a different seat in the East Stand.

So stop being such big kids, just get down to Pride Park, park your bum in any available seat and support the Rams.

6 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

If we are so “Massive”, how come we get 3,000 fans at some games? Only 23,000 Rams fans for the game v West Ham Utd last season. Fans have got to get out of those comfy armchairs.

I sit in the west stand; half way up right on the half way line.  I hate moving, too,

A lot of us make a big effort to attend matches.  It's a 120 mile round trip for me; the guy who sits next to me is from Cambridge.  The league is what matters, so most will prioritise that.  Cup games are an added extra.