New Topic Idea, Discussion About Derby's Past Matches

JakeDCFC

7 hours ago, JakeDCFC said:

Just finished watching the 3-2 victory Derby had against Manchester United in 1997 and here are my match notes!

Manchester United vs Derby County 1997 

- Paulo Wanchope first start for Derby, makes me curious as to how many Central Americans have played for the club 

- United has opportunity to go 6 points clear in first and Derby needs 4 points to be safe from relegation 

- Derby employing tight man to man marking system to start, focused on stopping Cantona 

- LOTS of long ball attempts and very high intensity from the start, feels different to the game today but it only lasts a few minutes

- Trollope giving Cantona fits early on really cool to see him take it to him 

- Giggs misses a sitter, heading it straight to the keeper 

- Trollope with an outstanding pass to Ward and he whiffs it wide from 6 yards out 

- Trollope plays a ball to Wanchope who heads it back to Ward who hits it awkwardly but it find its way to the back of the net over an outstretched Schmeichel! 

- Football is a funny sport, Ward blows the easy chance earlier scores a goal that didn’t have much business turning into a goal haha 

- On a separate note the Derby kit from this season is absolutely magnificent 

- Wanchope with an INSANE wondergoal, amazing run through the midfield and defense and an even better finish slotted into the right corner what an insane debut wow 

- How has Ward not made it 3-0, 3 chances from point blank range, two saves by Schmeichel and then he hits the post on the third attempt sheesh 

- Derby taking it to prime Man United at Old Trafford is amazing to watch 

- Cantona couldn’t be held back forever, outstanding first touch at the top of the box, gets passed Trollope and blasts it into the bottom corner 

- Didn’t realize Daniel Sturridge’s uncle played for Derby 

- Giggs with a harsh challenge on Wanchope which draws a yellow, could see it possibly being a red today

- After getting a goal back United has picked up the intensity immensely as Derby struggles to keep up 

- Trollope has been all over the pitch, making good passes and defending really well, such a great performance from him 

- When did the game time and score first show up on broadcasts? I don’t like not being able to look up and see that haha

- Schmeichel is wearing his shorts up to his chest lol 

- After a rampant attack from United for the first 20 mins of the second half Derby has settled in and weathered it well 

- Crucial mistake by Schmeichel, Sturridge heads it over him as he comes out prematurely and taps it in to make it 3-1!

- So much drama throughout the game this has been an outstanding watch so far 

- And just like that a mistake by McGrath heading it backward to Ole gets United a goal back a couple minutes after it was made 3-1, exciting last 15 to follow 

- If I was alive during this time and watching this game my stomach would be in absolute knots for this last 10 minutes it’s been intense LOL

- Two great chances from United towards the end of the match which came so so close to tying it up, heart skipped a beat even though I know how this ends hahah 

- Looks like “Fergie Time” was in full display this game too even the announcer mentioned “where’d this time come from” LOL 

- That’s all though, what an outstanding game and truly a classic Derby victory I rate it a 8.5/10 

Re Wanchope - our beloved manager often signed players in pairs so that squad had two costa ricans him and Solis, two croatians (asanovic and the god stimac) and two italians (baiano and eranio).  Are you a reader? If so forum posters can probably recommend a few books also and could start a thread. 

Also it may not be the effect you were after but reading your match report and the players mentioned on a Monday morning before work has actually made me quite miserable!!! Sorry!

Edited by CBRammette

2 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Re Wanchope - our beloved manager often signed players in pairs so that squad had two costa ricans him and Solis, two croatians (asanovic and the god stimac) and two italians (baiano and eranio).  Are you a reader? If so forum posters can probably recommend a few books also and could start a thread. 

Also it may not be the effect you were after but reading your match report and the players mentioned on a Monday morning before work has actually made me quite miserable!!! Sorry!

I am indeed a reader! What would you recommend I title the thread as? And wait why did it make you miserable? hahaha

7 hours ago, JakeDCFC said:

Just finished watching the 3-2 victory Derby had against Manchester United in 1997 and here are my match notes!

Manchester United vs Derby County 1997 

- Paulo Wanchope first start for Derby, makes me curious as to how many Central Americans have played for the club 

- United has opportunity to go 6 points clear in first and Derby needs 4 points to be safe from relegation 

- Derby employing tight man to man marking system to start, focused on stopping Cantona 

- LOTS of long ball attempts and very high intensity from the start, feels different to the game today but it only lasts a few minutes

- Trollope giving Cantona fits early on really cool to see him take it to him 

- Giggs misses a sitter, heading it straight to the keeper 

- Trollope with an outstanding pass to Ward and he whiffs it wide from 6 yards out 

- Trollope plays a ball to Wanchope who heads it back to Ward who hits it awkwardly but it find its way to the back of the net over an outstretched Schmeichel! 

- Football is a funny sport, Ward blows the easy chance earlier scores a goal that didn’t have much business turning into a goal haha 

- On a separate note the Derby kit from this season is absolutely magnificent 

- Wanchope with an INSANE wondergoal, amazing run through the midfield and defense and an even better finish slotted into the right corner what an insane debut wow 

- How has Ward not made it 3-0, 3 chances from point blank range, two saves by Schmeichel and then he hits the post on the third attempt sheesh 

- Derby taking it to prime Man United at Old Trafford is amazing to watch 

- Cantona couldn’t be held back forever, outstanding first touch at the top of the box, gets passed Trollope and blasts it into the bottom corner 

- Didn’t realize Daniel Sturridge’s uncle played for Derby 

- Giggs with a harsh challenge on Wanchope which draws a yellow, could see it possibly being a red today

- After getting a goal back United has picked up the intensity immensely as Derby struggles to keep up 

- Trollope has been all over the pitch, making good passes and defending really well, such a great performance from him 

- When did the game time and score first show up on broadcasts? I don’t like not being able to look up and see that haha

- Schmeichel is wearing his shorts up to his chest lol 

- After a rampant attack from United for the first 20 mins of the second half Derby has settled in and weathered it well 

- Crucial mistake by Schmeichel, Sturridge heads it over him as he comes out prematurely and taps it in to make it 3-1!

- So much drama throughout the game this has been an outstanding watch so far 

- And just like that a mistake by McGrath heading it backward to Ole gets United a goal back a couple minutes after it was made 3-1, exciting last 15 to follow 

- If I was alive during this time and watching this game my stomach would be in absolute knots for this last 10 minutes it’s been intense LOL

- Two great chances from United towards the end of the match which came so so close to tying it up, heart skipped a beat even though I know how this ends hahah 

- Looks like “Fergie Time” was in full display this game too even the announcer mentioned “where’d this time come from” LOL 

- That’s all though, what an outstanding game and truly a classic Derby victory I rate it a 8.5/10 

I watched the match at a friend's house on TV (I was about 13 at the time).  There was five Man Utd fans and me.  Was jumping around the room; never has supporting this club been that satisfying again 🙂

1 hour ago, CBX1985 said:

I watched the match at a friend's house on TV (I was about 13 at the time).  There was five Man Utd fans and me.  Was jumping around the room; never has supporting this club been that satisfying again 🙂

I'm sure we'll be able to have moments like that in the near future again! Hopefully near near future though haha

If you want the true Derby experience, I suggest you watch both the highs and the lows. It'll help you to understand the true essence of being a Ram...

These are all games we'd love to forget but part of what makes us who we are. These are mainly from the 90s, which are my formative memories and really stick out.

1993/94 Derby 1 - Leicester 2 (play off final misery)

1997/98 Derby 0 - Leicester 4 (we were 4 down inside 15 minutes and made Leicester look like Barcelona - I remember people leaving the ground after the 3rd goal went in after about 10 minutes!)

2013/14 Derby 0 - QPR 1 (dominated before Keogh let's Zamora steal it - oh how life would be different)

When I was a kid my dad had a 'Match of the 70s' VHS which included highlights from

1972/3 Derby 5 - 0 Arsenal (Alan Hinton at his pin point best)

1972/3 Derby 3 - 0 Benfica (Kevin Hector left foot volley & Archie Gemmill covering every blade of grass)

1972/3 Spurs 3 - 5 Derby (FA Cup Roger Davies leading the comeback)

1975/76 Derby 4 - 1 Real Madrid (Charlie George making them look like school boys)

Watch all that and then if you want to get depressed watch anything from 1977-79 under Tommy Doherty and understand why most Derby fans of a certain age think of him like Voldemort.

I'm sure there are a whole load of other highs and lows worth watching in full.

There are some horrific and then great moments from the 80s when we were where we are now in Div 3 and 'rose again' under Arthur Cox, others will make some suggestions I'm sure.

2013/14 Derby 5 - 0 Forest (epic)

In fact lots of that season is well with a second watch and I'm sure some people would enjoy reliving certain moments. It was a seminal season to help understand where we are today. Many calls for greater ambition leading to Clough jnr departing and then an uncontrollable lust for the Premier League which eventually nearly killed the club (massive simplification of the period!)

2018/19 Derby Vs Leeds both play off legs

That should keep you going for a bit and give you some stuff to get people's input into.

16 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

If you want the true Derby experience, I suggest you watch both the highs and the lows. It'll help you to understand the true essence of being a Ram...

These are all games we'd love to forget but part of what makes us who we are. These are mainly from the 90s, which are my formative memories and really stick out.

1993/94 Derby 1 - Leicester 2 (play off final misery)

1997/98 Derby 0 - Leicester 4 (we were 4 down inside 15 minutes and made Leicester look like Barcelona - I remember people leaving the ground after the 3rd goal went in after about 10 minutes!)

2013/14 Derby 0 - QPR 1 (dominated before Keogh let's Zamora steal it - oh how life would be different)

When I was a kid my dad had a 'Match of the 70s' VHS which included highlights from

1972/3 Derby 5 - 0 Arsenal (Alan Hinton at his pin point best)

1972/3 Derby 3 - 0 Benfica (Kevin Hector left foot volley & Archie Gemmill covering every blade of grass)

1972/3 Spurs 3 - 5 Derby (FA Cup Roger Davies leading the comeback)

1975/76 Derby 4 - 1 Real Madrid (Charlie George making them look like school boys)

Watch all that and then if you want to get depressed watch anything from 1977-79 under Tommy Doherty and understand why most Derby fans of a certain age think of him like Voldemort.

I'm sure there are a whole load of other highs and lows worth watching in full.

There are some horrific and then great moments from the 80s when we were where we are now in Div 3 and 'rose again' under Arthur Cox, others will make some suggestions I'm sure.

2013/14 Derby 5 - 0 Forest (epic)

In fact lots of that season is well with a second watch and I'm sure some people would enjoy reliving certain moments. It was a seminal season to help understand where we are today. Many calls for greater ambition leading to Clough jnr departing and then an uncontrollable lust for the Premier League which eventually nearly killed the club (massive simplification of the period!)

2018/19 Derby Vs Leeds both play off legs

That should keep you going for a bit and give you some stuff to get people's input into.

I might delay watching the bad matches LOL, but I certainly will get to some soon

Match notes from the 3-1 victory against Forest in 2009 at the City Ground 

Derby County vs Nottingham Forest 2009

- Derby looking for their first win at the city ground in over 30 years 

- Commons with a long free kick into the box, it’s taken well by Nyatanga and he slots it in the corner beautifully to take the early 1-0 lead! 

- Atmosphere in the stadium feels so tense, hope we can get another forest derby game soon 

- Forest seem to be pressing pretty hard early 

- Derby counter pressing trying to force forest into long passes instead of building up play

- Game feels really chippy with numerous early fouls 

- Barazite with an apparent arm injury that takes him out of the game early, Sterjovski comes on

- After about 10-15 minutes of stalemate Earnshaw is played through and tries to chip the keeper putting it just over the bar, great chance for forest 

- Davies with a free kick right outside the box nearly puts it past the keepers outstretched hands but it’s caught forest immediately look to counter 

- Our adidas kit from this season is quite nice 

- Earnshaw played through again and once again skies it over the bar, forest looking dangerous though 

- Rather uneventful last 5 minutes outside of some hard clean tackles by Derby sees it 1-0 to the Rams at half 

- IT'S ANOTHER SET PIECE AND EARLY INTO THE SECOND DERBY GOES UP 2-0 

- It’s a great delivery in by savage and headed in by Hulse and after Forest controlling most of the game Derby doubles their lead 

- Derby are completely energized, look great with the ball, passing is so clean and precise, great runs from the players without the ball 

- Steve Davies has impressed me a lot in the first 10 minutes, fighting to get to balls before forest players get there and putting good pressure on their players 

- Nyatanga comes off, looks possibly injured 

- Derby still mainly on the front foot, forest looks out of sorts but nothing of major note since the second goal 

- Just as I say that Hulse gets pushed in the box while attempting a header from a dangerous cross and the ref points to the spot!

- Davies steps up to take it and buries into the bottom corner! What a pen and it’s 3-0 for derby at the city ground!

- Hulse is also subbed off after the goal 

- Forest fans are in shambles haha yelling at the refs and the other half are on their way out of the stadium 

- Seems a half full bottle of Coca Cola has been thrown onto the pitch 

- Derby clearly just playing to see the game out, have essentially surrendered possession and are playing defensively clearing as soon as they get possession 

- As a result forest has been getting some decent chances but nothing coming to fruition 

- Long free kick by derby sees Davies head a ball off the crossbar oh so close to number 4 

- After playing rather defensively derby is now pressing again for a 4th goal 

- Derby down to 10 men because of injury and no more subs

- Things getting really chippy as Tyson and Connolly get into it near the corner flag 

- With 5 minutes left forest cross a ball in and Earnshaw heads it in and forest have a bit of life 

- Dangerous forest cross in and a shot that probably should’ve seen the back of the net is put wide 

- Another dangerous ball put in, this time from a corner and once again it is not put on target 

- After a chippy last few minutes derby holds on and wins 3-1 breaking the winless streak at the city ground! 

Solid game overall, fun watch I’ll give it a 7/10 

14 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

Personally my favourite game, the devastation of Wednesday scoring a 3rd in the 89 minute to go 3-1 up for us to somehow get a point. 

7 year old ramslad1992 was on top of the world that day! 🐏

I remember that game well.  Did I see Eranio wearing number 29?  I always thought he was 20.  And is that Rob Palmer commentating?  Have a feeling he was a youth player at Derby years ago.

On 01/07/2023 at 23:47, Ramslad1992 said:

Personally my favourite game, the devastation of Wednesday scoring a 3rd in the 89 minute to go 3-1 up for us to somehow get a point. 

Yeah that was some fightback. It's a shame we couldn't build on that team as there was some exceptional talent in there. I still mourn the loss of Branko Strupar.

On 01/07/2023 at 23:47, Ramslad1992 said:

I was at that one, got a great view behind the goal. One of those games where Kinky came on in the last 15 mins and changed the game. Still got a mark on my knee after the equaliser celebration and banging it on the seat in front 🤣

I went to spurs cup game away Boston away I think we beat qpr in next round after spurs and we were brilliant and I also went to Newport county away and Finn harps at home oh to be a teenager again instead of retired .though seriously beat Newcastle 4-2 in cup At baseball ground West Ham in charity shield I was in tears the day we lost at hillsborogh in semi final