New Topic Idea, Discussion About Derby's Past Matches

JakeDCFC

Had this idea since I have watched a couple of the classic matches that were recommended to me in one of my earlier threads. As I was watching I was thinking, "man, it would be nice to be able to talk about these games/ask questions about some of the players or the season itself" and I thought why not make posts about each game as I watch them and have discussions with some of you about them. Essentially like "live tweeting" a game except all of these games already happened haha. I think I'll make a post with all my notes/questions/thoughts under this thread for each game I watch and then let the discussion ensue. From my short time on this forum I have interacted with tons of fans who have watched Derby through many different eras and I felt this would be a cool idea to discuss the club through many points in it's history, relive memories, and generate great conversations. Let me know your guys' thoughts!

Edited by JakeDCFC

On 24/06/2023 at 10:57, JakeDCFC said:

Had this idea since I have watched a couple of the classic matches that were recommended to me in one of my earlier threads. As I was watching I was thinking, "man, it would be nice to be able to talk about these games/ask questions about some of the players or the season itself" and I thought why not make posts about each game as I watch them and have discussions with some of you about them. Essentially like "live tweeting" a game except all of these games already happened haha. I think I'll make a post with all my notes/questions/thoughts under this thread for each game I watch and then let the discussion ensue. From my short time on this forum I have interacted with tons of fans who have watched Derby through many different eras and I felt this would be a cool idea to discuss the club through many points in it's history, relive memories, and generate great conversations. Let me know your guys' thoughts!

My ‘Greatest’ games were 3-2 victory at Old Trafford. Paulo Wanchope 😍

And 6-0 Man City at BBG. Not quite Seventh heaven but six was rather wonderful. 
I was at both. 

The ‘Greatest’ on tv was the 4-2 PO victory at Elland Road. I can watch that again and again. 

On 24/06/2023 at 11:57, JakeDCFC said:

6 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Think he’s waiting for our suggestions 🤔

Not saying you're wrong, but it's not how I read it. Still, no problem in doing what you have done and making suggestions.

8 hours ago, SKRam said:

Think this is duplicated  elsewhere Jake hence few replies. I’m not from Derby either so any thread I started got short shrift 

Sad Arrested Development GIF

Oh, has something like this already been done before in the forum? 

6 hours ago, richinspain said:

He hasn't actually mentioned a game he's watched for us to make comments on.

Original post was essentially me asking if this is something others on the forum would be interested in participating in or general interest in the idea haha

Edited by JakeDCFC

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Is the idea to have a synchronized watching?

So everyone watches the same recording of a game at the same time and discuss it in "real time", maybe on a parallel zoom call?

That wasn't initially what I had in mind, but that does seem like a cool idea that can also be added on for anyone else who would be interested in that because I would be. My main idea was to watch matches and post game notes about it and discuss them with anyone interested on this thread if that makes sense. 

5 hours ago, JakeDCFC said:

That wasn't initially what I had in mind, but that does seem like a cool idea that can also be added on for anyone else who would be interested in that because I would be. My main idea was to watch matches and post game notes about it and discuss them with anyone interested on this thread if that makes sense. 

It is an interesting idea.

Funnily enough, Sky Sports are also showing the Man Utd v Derby match in full on 30/06/23 at 15.30 pm (UK Time).  

https://www.skysports.com/watch/prog/1303/573/watch/tv-guide/30-06-2023

A few minutes of a game I loved 

Think it was against wigan at home in 14/15 season. Miserable weather. Absolutely sodding freezing.

Wigan get a peno

Butland...SAVES!!!! straight up the other end, bang one in. Stadium erupts, up 1 nil before half time. Lovely stuff. Eustace as well. 

The game our Johnny wiped out Rosler as well on the touchline 

We lost 2-1. God I love football 😂

Edited by bimmerman
Corrected year after a quick YouTube to watch the highlights. Great idea for a thread!!

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

A few minutes of a game I loved 

Think it was against wigan at home in 14/15 season. Miserable weather. Absolutely sodding freezing.

Wigan get a peno

Butland...SAVES!!!! straight up the other end, bang one in. Stadium erupts, up 1 nil before half time. Lovely stuff. Eustace as well. 

The game our Johnny wiped out Rosler as well on the touchline 

We lost 2-1. God I love football 😂

gotta love all the highs and lows of football hahaha

8 hours ago, JakeDCFC said:

Oh, has something like this already been done before in the forum? 

This thread from this forum might interest you. It covers every game from 1971-72 season when we became champions of England for the first time. There's a lot of TV highlights and discussions from fans who witnessed it and who are all members of this forum:

3 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

This thread from this forum might interest you. It covers every game from 1971-72 season when we became champions of England for the first time. There's a lot of TV highlights and discussions from fans who witnessed it and who are all members of this forum:

awesome, i'll definitely have to check it out!

Just finished watching the 3-2 victory Derby had against Manchester United in 1997 and here are my match notes!

Manchester United vs Derby County 1997 

- Paulo Wanchope first start for Derby, makes me curious as to how many Central Americans have played for the club 

- United has opportunity to go 6 points clear in first and Derby needs 4 points to be safe from relegation 

- Derby employing tight man to man marking system to start, focused on stopping Cantona 

- LOTS of long ball attempts and very high intensity from the start, feels different to the game today but it only lasts a few minutes

- Trollope giving Cantona fits early on really cool to see him take it to him 

- Giggs misses a sitter, heading it straight to the keeper 

- Trollope with an outstanding pass to Ward and he whiffs it wide from 6 yards out 

- Trollope plays a ball to Wanchope who heads it back to Ward who hits it awkwardly but it find its way to the back of the net over an outstretched Schmeichel! 

- Football is a funny sport, Ward blows the easy chance earlier scores a goal that didn’t have much business turning into a goal haha 

- On a separate note the Derby kit from this season is absolutely magnificent 

- Wanchope with an INSANE wondergoal, amazing run through the midfield and defense and an even better finish slotted into the right corner what an insane debut wow 

- How has Ward not made it 3-0, 3 chances from point blank range, two saves by Schmeichel and then he hits the post on the third attempt sheesh 

- Derby taking it to prime Man United at Old Trafford is amazing to watch 

- Cantona couldn’t be held back forever, outstanding first touch at the top of the box, gets passed Trollope and blasts it into the bottom corner 

- Didn’t realize Daniel Sturridge’s uncle played for Derby 

- Giggs with a harsh challenge on Wanchope which draws a yellow, could see it possibly being a red today

- After getting a goal back United has picked up the intensity immensely as Derby struggles to keep up 

- Trollope has been all over the pitch, making good passes and defending really well, such a great performance from him 

- When did the game time and score first show up on broadcasts? I don’t like not being able to look up and see that haha

- Schmeichel is wearing his shorts up to his chest lol 

- After a rampant attack from United for the first 20 mins of the second half Derby has settled in and weathered it well 

- Crucial mistake by Schmeichel, Sturridge heads it over him as he comes out prematurely and taps it in to make it 3-1!

- So much drama throughout the game this has been an outstanding watch so far 

- And just like that a mistake by McGrath heading it backward to Ole gets United a goal back a couple minutes after it was made 3-1, exciting last 15 to follow 

- If I was alive during this time and watching this game my stomach would be in absolute knots for this last 10 minutes it’s been intense LOL

- Two great chances from United towards the end of the match which came so so close to tying it up, heart skipped a beat even though I know how this ends hahah 

- Looks like “Fergie Time” was in full display this game too even the announcer mentioned “where’d this time come from” LOL 

- That’s all though, what an outstanding game and truly a classic Derby victory I rate it a 8.5/10 

2 hours ago, SamUltraRam said:

Here are a couple of YouTube videos that I created recently with some appropriate 70's music included

I have over 750 DCFC videos on my channel now & i've put a few more on over the weekend - from the late 70's & early 80's

Definitely going to subscribe haha