Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

The U18 team beat West Ham this morning by 4-1 at Moor Farm in a pre-season friendly. The match was played in heavy rain but the young Rams apparently took the Hammers apart with all of the goals coming in the first 25 minutes.

On 03/08/2023 at 14:48, ExiledinDerby said:

Don’t see him moving on this year. His deal puts a big price on him and the big Cat 1s who may have been short have all bought GKs this summer from Cat 2/3 clubs. Expect Thompson to train u21 play u18 and in PL Cup for u21 similar to Evans did at that age. Could possibly be a youth loan for Thompson after Xmas too to help his development. 

Club see them both as potential first team GKs so putting them Both on course to get there. IMO of course!! 

Jack Thompson's part of the England U17 squad at the moment. Has a current England youth player ever been sent out on loan to a non-League club. I think not. While they're part of it, I think the FA have an input into their development.

12 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Jack Thompson's part of the England U17 squad at the moment. Has a current England youth player ever been sent out on loan to a non-League club. I think not. While they're part of it, I think the FA have an input into their development.

Carl Rushworth wwnt on loan to Worthing in 19/20 for the season.

8 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

The FA have no input into a players development. That is purely down to the club. As a young goalkeeper he will need to play games in men’s football as part of his development. 

in the current 2004 (U19) England squad Tommy Simkin is currently on loan at Solihull Moors from Stoke. He played yesterday shall I post a link? 

Thompson will play at Non- League level you can bookmark this. It’s part of his development. 

Why do you think Derby have brought Ridd into the club? 

21 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

The FA have no input into a players development. That is purely down to the club. As a young goalkeeper he will need to play games in men’s football as part of his development. 
in the current 2004 (U19) England squad Tommy Simkin is currently on loan at Solihull Moors from Stoke. He played yesterday shall I post a link? 
Thompson will play at Non- League level you can bookmark this. It’s part of his development. 
Why do you think Derby have brought Ridd into the club? 

Why do we do this with keepers but not with other Academy players, it seems?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why do we do this with keepers but not with other Academy players, it seems?

The opportunities to play are limited. The academy even at u21 level is still Quite sterile and development is still the primary focus they need to learn the physicality of mens football and also the pressure of it actually meaning something.

Just by reading this or any other forum you can see why a manager will not put a young goalkeeper who has not been tested in a men’s game into the first team because his job literally depends on it…

Non league is not as poor quality as people think, these days it’s full of ex-pros and academy players it’s a valuable learning experience for all but especially a place where GKs can prove themselves. 

England u17 World Cup winners (The Foden year) goalkeepers…..

Curtis Anderson 23 years old Current team Lancaster City Northern Premier League

William Crellin 23 years old. Current team Everton u21s England u20 in 2019 whilst playing at Chorley…

Josef Bursik FC Brugge 23 years old England u20 whilst at Telford on loan.

Goalkeepers journeys are very different and chances of real success are very small. 

6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:
6 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

JThompson

Perry   Osayande   KRobinson   Gill

Eames   Allen   Hawkins

Wheeldon   Oguntolu

One missing. Any thoughts?