Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

17 hours ago, Jram said:

Morgan Whittaker now joint top scorer in the championship 👏 

As it stands, he's arguably been the most successful of his Academy group, despite being discarded by Derby pretty early. Just goes to show some players develop at a quicker rate than others. Sibley looked a very exciting prospect at 18 but 4 years later he's a League One squad player while Whittaker is getting interest from Lazio and top scorer in the Championship.

1 minute ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

As it stands, he's arguably been the most successful of his Academy group, despite being discarded by Derby pretty early. Just goes to show some players develop at a quicker rate than others. Sibley looked a very exciting prospect at 18 but 4 years later he's a League One squad player while Whittaker is getting interest from Lazio and top scorer in the Championship.

Archie Brown is playing for KAA Gent.

33 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

It goes to show some people are a better judge of player than others 😅 I've said all along Whittaker just needed time to adjust to the physicality and speed of play

32 minutes ago, Donkey Derby said:

If Collins is out for a while who would be better out of Weston or Wheeldon to step up from the academy

Also any idea if Brown has a recall in the loan to Gateshead and when this applies from

WRT Brown, the 28 days minimum before recall is the 20th I believe, so if we chose to he'd be available for Barnsley.

Not sure you'd want to be throwing any, including Brown, into the starting 11 with the pressure they'd be under and our quick to whinge fan base, especially at home, maybe on the bench, but if NML or Barks goes central then we still have Wilson, CBT, Sibley with Weston as the extra back up for the 2 of the 3 behind now Bird is playing more advanced.

1 hour ago, Donkey Derby said:

If Collins is out for a while who would be better out of Weston or Wheeldon to step up from the academy

Also any idea if Brown has a recall in the loan to Gateshead and when this applies from

I can't see it. Stevenage isn't exactly the type of game you want to throw a youngster in. They would use every trick in the book - elbows into chests, stepping on toes, etc..

This is also Warne who chooses not to use Brown or Robinson despite bing 2 or 3 goals up and having a sub spare.

I agree with other posters who have said we're much more likely to play a wide attacker centrally than throw in an untested youngster at such a critical point in the season. Weston could be on the bench - he does look the type who could nick a goal later in the game, but there's no way we'd start with him. 

Where are Waghorn and Washington - any ideas when either are back?

24 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

I agree with other posters who have said we're much more likely to play a wide attacker centrally than throw in an untested youngster at such a critical point in the season. Weston could be on the bench - he does look the type who could nick a goal later in the game, but there's no way we'd start with him. 

Where are Waghorn and Washington - any ideas when either are back?

Yesterday, the DET reported Waghorn may be in training next week, and Washington "could be back next month" (I thought he was already back in training?)

8 hours ago, Jubbs said:

https://x.com/BelperUnited/status/1758431500062667110?s=20

Farren Simons joined Belper United on loan

Good luck to him. Given he's only the 6th most used CM/AM for the U18s this season (4 of them being 1st year scholars), it looks like this may be with a view to joining them permanently. We've also started putting U16s on the bench at his expense.

I don't know much about our academy but it's seems as if results have improved a lot since last year. Obviously there were struggles last season as we were starting from scratch, but has our improvement been a result of our much maligned recruitment team? Whilst we are lamenting the potential purchase of another 30+ year old striker, is it that our recruitment focus has been on stocking the academy up with future talent and getting it back to where it was pre administration?