Football Cliches

Stive Pesley

10 hours ago, Foreveram said:

He really does.

I really am.

They really do.

It really was.

As in that was a great goal, it really was.

I get the feeling you pick a lot of TV games with Ally McCoist as the co-commentator (?)

Like the way he ‘goes about his business’ (golf to blame for that nonsense ? )

it’s a game of ‘fine margins’ (seen frequently on here from posters who only ever watch football and mud wrestling?)

Another one from this forum: ‘I’m just glad we have a club to support’ - as if that means that failure of any sort can’t be mentioned

Anyone else noticed this one which I don't think I'd ever heard prior to this season (used frequently by PW but also used by players):

"Got to get the right quality of players in the building" or "I'm happy with the players in the building" etc.

(I'm always thinking: surely "in the building" is the least effective place for good players to be?)

11 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

the one that gets me is "Cultured Left Foot", why does nobody have a cultured Right foot?

Good point. There's something quite sinister about that.

😬

Just now, jameso said:

Anyone else noticed this one which I don't think I'd ever heard prior to this season (used frequently by PW but also used by players):

"Got to get the right quality of players in the building" or "I'm happy with the players in the building" etc.

(I'm always thinking: surely "in the building" is the least effective place for good players to be?)

Rowett used it all the time.

Just now, Rev said:

Rowett used it all the time.

I stand corrected. I must confess I didn't seek out the Rowett interviews so that fact had passed me by.

13 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

"he rose like a salmon" used quite a lot over the years.

A lot of idiomatic phrases get twisted over time (like "he did it off his own back (bat)")

I should think in a few years this one will have become "he rose like the price of salmon"

Nobody uses the word delighted except football managers and pundits. 

And to add to a cultured left foot isn't it also only possible to have a sweet left foot? 

You can hit a sweet free kick with your right foot. But to actually be blessed with a sweet foot (or even a peg, if you're a crazy character) you have to be left footed.

Edited by Alpha

"Couldn't quite get it over the line" re: any transfer that was close to happening but didn't.

Someone is always  'pipped to the signing of..." a target they missed out on.

"Failed at the last hurdle" - A semi-regular bastardisation of the term 'fell at the last hurdle'

Edited by Kokosnuss

10 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Didn’t we sign a couple of poles as well.

Not to mention one or two ropey signings from elsewhere