Player of the season?

TuffLuff

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

The fact that he was playing against a team who've only scored 29 goals in 40 games (6 of those from Wickham who left in Jan) may also have been a factor!

I'm not sure I'd consider being unavailable for 6 league games (the bread and butter, granted it's another 5 if you incldue cups) enough to exclude McGoldrick from winning the award - he's still made 39 appearances.

Agreed on the first point to be fair, we’ll see over the next few games whether the pattern continues.

McGoldrick has only started 23 league games. Not his fault of course, but not enough to be player of the season in my view, as brilliant as he’s been when fully fit.

Edited by Millenniumram

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

McGoldrick has only started 23 league games. Not his fault of course, but not enough to be player of the season in my view, as brilliant as he’s been when fully fit.

Just shows how good  he is when he's easily PoTS and not played a full season, but then all players get injuries.

He's just different gravy - imagine if he'd had better support...

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just shows how good  he is when he's easily PoTS and not played a full season, but then all players get injuries.

Definitely top Bisto Macca 😁

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Agreed on the first point to be fair, we’ll see over the next few games whether the pattern continues.

For me, PotS is either about consistency over a lot of games or 'impact'.

I don't think we've had anyone who has been consistently good enough, maybe Wildsmith, so for me it boils down to impact. 

That's why I say Didzy and NML are the contenders. 

3 minutes ago, RodleyRam said:

For me, PotS is either about consistency over a lot of games or 'impact'.

I don't think we've had anyone who has been consistently good enough, maybe Wildsmith, so for me it boils down to impact. 

That's why I say Didzy and NML are the contenders. 

I can see that argument don’t get me wrong, I just still think Cashin deserves it.

NML would’ve been a contender for me as well up until the last couple of weeks, but he’s very much gone off the boil - largely because he’s needed a rest imo.

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh he certainly is a class above, no disagreement here. Way too good for League One, and I fear too good for us next season too. He’d have smashed in 25-30 goals if he started every game and he’d be my POTS as well.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Oh he certainly is a class above, no disagreement here. Way too good for League One, and I fear too good for us next season too. He’d have smashed in 25-30 goals if he started every game and he’d be my POTS as well.

Surely PoTS is the player who has the most positive effect and influence over the season, not how many games they played?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Surely PoTS is the player who has the most positive effect and influence over the season, not how many games they played?

It’s a bit of both for me. Of course it’s the player who’s had the most positive influence, but they have to have had that influence over enough games. A combination of both is Cashin still.

Mart Poom won it with only 29 appearances.

kinkladze won it with only 22 league starts.

Peter Daniel won it even though he wasn’t the best player.

Tomori won it even though he wasn’t our player.

In 2007– 08   I even had a share in the award and I didn’t play a game.

I don’t think there are any rules.

On 17/04/2023 at 12:54, TuffLuff said:

I’m still for Wildsmith, first proper season as 1st choice and 20 clean sheets. McGoldrick has done what I expected, he’s our most valuable player and has had a very good season but Wildsmith has exceeded expectations because he wasn’t even the confirmed no.1 at the start of the season.

Ok you can give it McGoldrick