Footy Scran

TuffLuff

19 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I agree.  Although I do have the advantage of living local enough to have lunch before setting off for the match (Or my tea, before an evening game).

But it seems most who need to travel some distance also need to factor in an early arrival to secure a parking spot and/or to ensure an adequate buffer against traffic hold-ups en-route, thus generally having time for a bite to eat before entering the stadium.  Particularly a stadium with surrounding eateries such as ours? 🤷‍♂️

I do often wonder how desperate folk are... and why... to feel the need to buy the hot food in a football ground, but I guess they must have their reasons.  I guess I shouldn't knock it, but it still leaves me a little intrigued as to the reasoning behind it (purely in a nosey-parker kind o' way!)

As you infer, with the possible exception of a noon/12:30 kick off, it's rare for a football match to coincide with "recognised meal times".

If it helps with your nosey parker curiosity, its the travel - if we dont stop en route we leave for sat 3pm match at 11.15 and get back home at about 8pm. 

On 20/03/2023 at 21:55, David said:

Do you usually eat between 3pm and 5pm, just thinking and this might sound crazy but hear me out…..eat before or after the game, you know, what people usually call……dinner time or tea time?

Ah to live back up North!  I get funny looks for calling it dinner time and tea time.  Down here in the South West it's lunch time then dinner time.  If we're having friends round for a meal in the evening, dinner (tea to you and me) mysteriously becomes supper!

To misquote Peter Kay, I thought supper was a couple of digestive biscuits and a cup of cocoa before bed!

4 hours ago, CBRammette said:

If it helps with your nosey parker curiosity, its the travel - if we dont stop en route we leave for sat 3pm match at 11.15 and get back home at about 8pm. 

Well perhaps people feel to keep money coming back into the club.

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Yes but someone was curious as to why fans need to eat at the match - i was just saying how long we were out for a home match - ie need hot food

In fairness, I didn't need it explaining that travelling = the need to eat whilst out of the house.  Despite appearances, I'm not quite that dumb!
My point was, is there a need to eat inside the stadium?  Let's say between 14:30 to 17:00.  If it's a preference, fine.  But many seem to bemoan either the quality, the availability, or both, so to an outsider like me, (who doesn't generally partake in "footy scran") it doesn't appear to be the most popular option?

You say you generally set off c. 11:15.  Am I right in thinking you arrive in Derby a little before, or around 2PM?  (Apologies if I misjudged that).  Time for similar "Fast Food Fayre" outside, from numerous and varied options within a relatively short distance, even on foot, prior to entering the stadium?  That covers "late lunch".  
I'm sure the evening can be catered for en-route home, or very soon after getting home?

My initial input on this topic was merely to agree with @David, and his comments regarding eating between 3pm & 5pm.  It's not what the majority would class as "A common time of day for a main meal" here in the UK. Most, I assume, would consider that too late for lunch, and too early for tea?  

I hasten to add, I don't have a problem with what people eat, where, and when.  Nor do I make comment as if I'm judging anyone, so apologies if that's the way my comments are coming across, and apologies again, if any offence has been caused.

On 20/03/2023 at 09:31, sage said:

The next step will be confiscating the tops off flasks of tea.

By the way, when did people stop taking flasks to games?

You'd always see some at ht back in the day 

Same time as they stopped wearing gabadine macs and trilbies

Picture this.

Derby City Centre.

A large pub that is owned by Derby County.

The theme, Derby County, walls covered in photos, shirts, replica trophies.

Serving food including vegan and gluten free, wide range of real ales and ciders along with the mainstream of the supermarket shelve stuff.

Sell programmes, scarfs, flags, badges.

Open 7 days a week.

Derby County themed weekly quiz.

Fan forums held there.

Monthly Q&A nights with current and former players, admission fee for these.

Even a monthly membership that gives you a discount off food and admission for free to event nights.

Make it the city centre Mecca for Derby County fans for not only pre match, after match and everything else in the week.

All that money, into the clubs account. 

Whilst it wouldn’t put us close to Manchester United levels of revenue, there must be a profit to be had there with a venue like this.

Very much off topic, but all those that need their hunger needs met on a Saturday would have their problems solved whilst supporting the club.

43 minutes ago, David said:

Picture this.

Derby City Centre.

Serving food including vegan and gluten free, wide range of real ales and ciders along with the mainstream of the supermarket shelve stuff.

Open 7 days a week.

Fan forums held there.

Even a monthly membership that gives you a discount off food and admission for free to event nights.

Make it the city centre Mecca for Derby County fans for not only pre match, after match and everything else in the week.

Whilst it wouldn’t put us close to Manchester United levels of revenue, there must be a profit to be had there with a venue like this.

Very much off topic, but all those that need their hunger needs met on a Saturday would have their problems solved whilst supporting the club.

They could build a pub into the corner of the ground and fill it with Rams memorabilia, maybe call it something like the Baseball bar and grill.

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

In fairness, I didn't need it explaining that travelling = the need to eat whilst out of the house.  Despite appearances, I'm not quite that dumb!
My point was, is there a need to eat inside the stadium?  Let's say between 14:30 to 17:00.  If it's a preference, fine.  But many seem to bemoan either the quality, the availability, or both, so to an outsider like me, (who doesn't generally partake in "footy scran") it doesn't appear to be the most popular option?

You say you generally set off c. 11:15.  Am I right in thinking you arrive in Derby a little before, or around 2PM?  (Apologies if I misjudged that).  Time for similar "Fast Food Fayre" outside, from numerous and varied options within a relatively short distance, even on foot, prior to entering the stadium?  That covers "late lunch".  
I'm sure the evening can be catered for en-route home, or very soon after getting home?

My initial input on this topic was merely to agree with @David, and his comments regarding eating between 3pm & 5pm.  It's not what the majority would class as "A common time of day for a main meal" here in the UK. Most, I assume, would consider that too late for lunch, and too early for tea?  

I hasten to add, I don't have a problem with what people eat, where, and when.  Nor do I make comment as if I'm judging anyone, so apologies if that's the way my comments are coming across, and apologies again, if any offence has been caused.

You'll not get to eat much, with that fence up your arse.

1 hour ago, David said:

Picture this.

Derby City Centre.

Open 7 days a week.

Fan forums held there.

Basically, Clowes should buy the Neptune?

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

You'll not get to eat much, with that fence up your arse.

There is no fence, as I offer no opinion on this matter. 
Just asking questions, and trying to ascertain why folk need to eat "A hot meal" during game time?  Specifically Saturday 3pm KO's. 
Just curious, is all, although I did consider my comments were being misconstrued, hence my eagerness to offer apologies if that was indeed the case!  I'm no wordsmith.  

1 hour ago, David said:

Picture this.

Derby City Centre.

Open 7 days a week.

Fan forums held there.

I recall having a pub like this when Pride Park opened made up off bits and bobs from the Baseball Hotel within the ground.  Then they got rid off it for some reason.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I recall having a pub like this when Pride Park opened made up off bits and bobs from the Baseball Hotel within the ground.  Then they got rid off it for some reason.

Got rid because the footfall wasn't there during the week or closed season, middle of town would be different. 

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Got rid because the footfall wasn't there during the week or closed season, middle of town would be different. 

Exactly.

If you’re out on a Wednesday night right town, Spoons and that, would be easy to nip in there. Out at Pride Park it’s not that convenient.

20 hours ago, David said:

Picture this.

Derby City Centre.

Open 7 days a week.

Fan forums held there.

Vegans?