Daylight Saving - should we scrap it?

Stive Pesley

Daylight Saving - should we keep it or scrap it?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Because we are so far North I think it works really well for the UK.

The alternative... stay on GMT all year. We lose the benefit of nice light evenings in Spring and Autumn. I really look forward to clocks going forward in March so that I can get out in the daylight after work.

And I guess in these times when we are all very concerned about our energy bills it doesn't make any sense to do anything that means we need to have the lights on for longer.

6 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

What time do you get up??

Was thinking the same. When clocks go forward in March Sunrise is about 6.30 to begin with. You must be getting up pretty early every day. Are you one of those Internet Influencers who gets up at 5am every day to meditate and do a gym session?

Edited by therealhantsram

15 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Wasn't the original proposal to keep BST permanently - so do away with GMT over the winter months?

I always thought it was to save the Northern folk from getting run over when coming home pi$$ed at 10 in the evening ?

33 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Wasn't the original proposal to keep BST permanently - so do away with GMT over the winter months?

Yes I believe that the reason it hasn't changed is because that schoolkids would be walking to school in the dark, if we went to permanent BST. 

Hang on a minute School kids all get driven to school these days ?

22 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I thought it was done for the farmers, I have no problem with early mornings - means I can get out on the golf course a little earlier.

It was originally,(during the war) the reason it has not changed is the schoolkids, farmers would easily cope with the permanent change nowadays. 

ua.jpg.a044f47e62b3d1fb43060288b3df81b9.jpg

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

I thought it was done for the farmers, I have no problem with early mornings - means I can get out on the golf course a little earlier.

Yep I think it was for farmers bringing cows in for milking , war time thing?

im with you on the golf , stay light later and I can work like a Trojan in the morning and nick some afternoon and early evening golf ,,, some mates think I’m strange because I often play 18 on my own , they don’t get the pleasure in switching your phone off and walking round bashing the ball in wonderful peace ,,, heaven?

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

It wasn't done for the farmers, I think that's just a myth.  Farmers couldn't care less what time the clock says really, they just go by sunlight. They start when it's bright and work from there. 

I can't think of a single good reason to keep Daylight Saving Time.  It's utterly daft. Obviously no daylight is actually saved. All that really happens is that for 6 months of the year, starting in Spring, we all collectively agree to lie to one another about what time it is.  When it's 8am, we tell each other it's 9am, and adjust our clocks accordingly.  Then in the Autumn, we stop fooling ourselves and decide to go back to the original times.  

That's assuming we consider Winter Time to be the original 'real' time, given that it most closely matches the pattern of the Sun. (noon being midday and so on)

If we really want to have more sunlight after work and school in Summer, then why not simply start school and work an hour earlier in Summer and leave the clocks alone (We get up an hour earlier in Summer anyway, but we just tell ourselves we are getting up at the same time and the 'clocks have moved forward')

13 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Didn't the UK scrap british summer time a few years ago, only for it to be reinstated a few years later due to public pressure?

No...but... you are probably thinking of the vote by the EU parliament in 2018 to scrap it. 

I think the bill stalled, and no date is set for implementation.

That said now we have "taken back control" we wouldn't want to be seen to align with those pesky Europeans would we?

We must keep changing the clocks twice a year. Its the British way!

49 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

No...but... you are probably thinking of the vote by the EU parliament in 2018 to scrap it. 

I think the bill stalled, and no date is set for implementation.

That said now we have "taken back control" we wouldn't want to be seen to align with those pesky Europeans would we?

We must keep changing the clocks twice a year. Its the British way!

Now we've taken back control. Why not go all in, what with the shortages of certain foods and the threat of being overrun by Jonny Foreigner coming across the channel in small boats. Lets revert back to  British Double Summer Time that was introduced during World War Two.