Arthur Cox v Jim Smith

sage

Something to cheer us all up after Saturday's disappointment

Name you best XI from players that played under Arthur Cox and then your best XI from those that played under Jim Smith. Any formations you want, just a bit of fun/nostalgia. r 

ARTHUR COX: Shilton; Sage, Wright, Hindmarch, Forsyth; Gregory, G. Williams, P. Williams; Saunders, Goddard, McMinn.

JIM SMITH: Poom; Delap, Stimac, West, C. Powell; Eranio, Carsley, Asanovic; Sturridge, Wanchope, Baiano.

Fairly straightforward for me with my only real dilemma being between Baiano and Strupar in Jim's team. I chose Baiano because I think he would provide a little bit more balance to the XI and Strupar would be a great option anyway coming off the bench as an impact sub. I remember him coming on against Everton in Moyes first game as their manager and quickly scoring a couple of cracking goals to bring us back to 3-4 from 1-4.

49 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

ARTHUR COX: Shilton; Sage, Wright, Hindmarch, Forsyth; Gregory, G. Williams, P. Williams; Saunders, Goddard, McMinn.

JIM SMITH: Poom; Delap, Stimac, West, C. Powell; Eranio, Carsley, Asanovic; Sturridge, Wanchope, Baiano.

Fairly straightforward for me with my only real dilemma being between Baiano and Strupar in Jim's team. I chose Baiano because I think he would provide a little bit more balance to the XI and Strupar would be a great option anyway coming off the bench as an impact sub. I remember him coming on against Everton in Moyes first game as their manager and quickly scoring a couple of cracking goals to bring us back to 3-4 from 1-4.

No Jacob Laursen?

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

No Jacob Laursen?

Considered him Pete but I went for Taribo West having not held his trips home to church against him! I thought West was outstanding in his season with us and if we'd re-signed him the next season instead of Ravanelli, we may well have avoided relegation.

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Cox team spot on for me mate, Smith team Laursen and Van Der Laan for West and Carsley

7 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Cox team spot on for me mate, Smith team Laursen and Van Der Laan for West and Carsley

I'd have VDL and Lauren on my bench. I explained West above. For me VDL was outstanding in the promotion season, reliable the next season and then sold. Whereas Carsley was young and developing as he came through in the promotion year but then went on to have a long career in the PL, here and elsewhere and that's why I went for him.

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Agree it's relatively straightforward - small squads in those days, and Jim's later additions were not in the same league.

My only surprise, as good as Strupar was, was your hesitation on naming Francesco. I just loved that Magical Italian lynchpin.

EDIT: Surely Micklewhite instead of Paul Williams for Arthur's team

But, man....Stimac, Asanovic, Eranio and Baiano....happy days.

Then we signed Mikkel Beck.

Edited by IslandExile
Gary Micklewhite

ARTHUR COX

Shilton

Sage  Wright Hindmarsh Forsyth

Callaghan  Gregory G.Williams Mcminn   

Saunders Goddard

JIM SMITH    

Poom

Laursen  Stimac  McGrath  C.Powell

Eranio  Carsley  Asanovic

Sturridge  Wanchope  Baiano

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

If you are looking for a best combined team, start with @Brailsford Ram's selection for Jim Smith's team above and put March Wright in for West, John Gregory in for Carsley and Saunders and Goddard in for Sturridge and Wanchope. Sub: McMinn.

Oh for such riches in the forward line.

Just for a bit of fun what were Jim’s worst signings? Everyone will say Beck but there were a few. Bragstad was poor, Schnoor on the basis he replaced Powell wasn’t brilliant and there were a few others. Can’t remember if Jim was responsible for signing Grenet but he wasn’t great either. Was Bob Malcolm a Jim signing?

14 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Agree it's relatively straightforward - small squads in those days, and Jim's later additions were not in the same league.

My only surprise, as good as Strupar was, was your hesitation on naming Francesco. I just loved that Magical Italian lynchpin.

EDIT: Surely Micklewhite instead of Paul Williams for Arthur's team

But, man....Stimac, Asanovic, Eranio and Baiano....happy days.

Then we signed Mikkel Beck.

I was a massive fan of both Baiano and Strupar. They were of course very different types, but the Italian magic swung it for me. I never really understood why he seemed to fall out of favour with Jim. But then the same could be said of Asanovic too. McClaren said that in the book Groundwork, he had to be cute in dissuading Jim on some of his views. That book really brings it home to the fact how lucky we were to have McClaren as the young, innovative coach and if when United came calling, we had given him the manager's job and appointed Jim as Director of Football he would have stayed. His departure was the watershed and things were just never the same in the Jim era after he went. Post-millennium years could have been so much better with McClaren at the helm.

I wish you could have avoided mentioning Mikkel Beck. Notwithstanding his magnificent injury time header to equalise 3-3 against Southampton at the Dell, he was an awful player. Apparently, when they played together at Middlesbrough, Ravanelli flatly refused to pass the ball to Beck because he regarded him with such disdain.

1 minute ago, Poynton ram said:

Just for a bit of fun what were Jim’s worst signings? Everyone will say Beck but there were a few. Bragstad was poor, Schnoor on the basis he replaced Powell wasn’t brilliant and there were a few others. Can’t remember if Jim was responsible for signing Grenet but he wasn’t great either. Was Bob Malcolm a Jim signing?

Billy Davies signed Bob Malcolm. The worst Jim signing for me was the Australian left back, Con Blatsis - worse even than Mikel Beck. He played the first two games of 2001-02 against Southampton at home and Newcastle away and that was it - he was straight out the door. Hopeless.

34 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

ARTHUR COX

Shilton

Sage  Wright Hindmarsh Forsyth

Callaghan  Gregory G.Williams Mcminn   

Saunders Goddard

JIM SMITH    

Poom

Laursen  Stimac  McGrath  C.Powell

Eranio  Carsley  Asanovic

I agree about McGrath. He had slipped my mind and I would have him alongside Igor instead of West.

9 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Billy Davies signed Bob Malcolm. The worst Jim signing for me was the Australian left back, Con Blatsis - worse even than Mikel Beck. He played the first two games of 2001-02 against Southampton at home and Newcastle away and that was it - he was straight out the door. Hopeless.

I'd put his mate signed the same week at 10x the cost who was uber b******* in front on price alone.  May I present Bjorn Otto Bragstaad

Shilton

Sage Wright Short Forsyth

Micklewhite Williams Gregory McMinn

Saunders Goddard

Poom

Stimac  McGrath West

Eranio  Asanovic Bohinen Powell

Strurridge Bainao Wanchope

23 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd put his mate signed the same week at 10x the cost who was uber b******* in front on price alone.  May I present Bjorn Otto Bragstaad

We seemed to have a few French players around that time, Ducroix springs to mind but may have made that up. They were all cr@p. 

I have a soft spot for Paul Blades, so...

Cox

Shilton

Sage  Wright Blades Forsyth

Micklewhite  Gregory G.Williams Mcminn   

Saunders Goddard

Smith   

Poom

Stimac  McGrath West 

Eranio  Carsley  Asanovic  C.Powell