Arthur Cox v Jim Smith

sage

25 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Wasn't there also a limit of foreign players in the team at that time? I thought that did for Asanovic.

You were only allowed 3 non EU players in your matchday squad so we had to pick 3 from

Poom, Stimac, Asanovic, Wanchope & Solis 

usually it was Asanovic and Solis that missed out 

5 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I have a soft spot for Paul Blades, so...

Cox

Shilton

Sage  Wright Blades Forsyth

Micklewhite  Gregory G.Williams Mcminn   

Saunders Goddard

Smith   

Poom

Stimac  McGrath West 

Eranio  Carsley  Asanovic  C.Powell

Sturridge  Wanchope  Baiano

I have a soft spot for Nigel Callaghan. But Micklewhite was maybe more consistent. 

7 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Wasn't there also a limit of foreign players in the team at that time? I thought that did for Asanovic.

There was. We had five in the squad but no more than four could be named for each game but also Asanovic was a restless individual who developed a reputation for not staying anywhere too long. It was a shame because he was outstanding in that first season at the BBG. World class in fact and that's why Stimac urged Jim to sign him before Euro 96 because Igor knew there would be a queue in for him after the tournament. Igor and he were very close - they were neighbours at Hetherington Village. I think his departure unsettled Stimac whose commitment seemed to wane after his mate had gone.

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'd put his mate signed the same week at 10x the cost who was uber b******* in front on price alone.  May I present Bjorn Otto Bragstaad

I wasn't taking price into account, just ability and Blatsis was well behind Bragstadt who was a regular for Rosenborg in the Champions League and in the Norway team when he moved to Derby. But as you say, he was poor at Derby.  At that time I used to go for a drink every Friday with John Cheadle who was Stuart Webb's partner in Lonsdale Travel. When they sold Lonsdale, John retained the football travel side of the business, which the new owners didn't want. He arranged all of Liverpool's European travel and knew Gerard Houllier very well. Houllier had seriously looked at signing Bragstad before he joined Derby. Houllier was insistent that Derby's problem with Bragstad was that he should only be playing right of centre but Derby were using him to the left. Anyway, after a few games, Chris Riggott came into the team and Carbonari returned from injury and Bragstad went out of the side and he only made a couple of substitute appearances after that.

36 minutes ago, Poynton ram said:

We seemed to have a few French players around that time, Ducroix springs to mind but may have made that up. They were all cr@p. 

Colin Todd signed Grenet and Ducroq.

COX: Shilton, Sage, Wright, Williams P, Forsyth, McMinn, Williams G, Callaghan, Saunders, Davison, Gabbiadini.

SMITH: Poom, Powell C, Stimac, McGrath, Laursen, Asanovic, Eranio, Johnson S, Sturridge, Baiano, Wanchope.

Based on nostalgia for favourite players rather than too much thought into formations/best positions and who would play well together.

Only remember the end of the Cox era hence no inclusion of Goddard... though did see just enough of Callaghan and Davison on loan spells to appreciate their class. Paul Simpson a notable sub for both teams.

It's tough to squeeze him into an Arthur Cox best X1 but I quite liked the way Trevor Hebberd quitely went about his business. As a giddy teen-ager it also made me laugh and still does now to some extent, thinking about it, when I overheard a few lads nearby refer to him as Trevor Headboard. 

One day I'll grow up hopefully. 

18 minutes ago, sage said:

ahead of Saunders and Goddard?

Kitson and saunders played an almost identical number of games for derby with Deano having a higher scoring ratio not much difference though. I’ll give you Saunders over Kitson just but I’d stay with Gabbiadini over Goddard on overall contribution and of course Gabbiadini was with us a lot longer so consistency was a factor. A quick search suggests Goddard played less than fifty games for us. 

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Kitson and saunders played an almost identical number of games for derby with Deano having a higher scoring ratio not much difference though. I’ll give you Saunders over Kitson just but I’d stay with Gabbiadini over Goddard on overall contribution and of course Gabbiadini was with us a lot longer so consistency was a factor. A quick search suggests Goddard played less than fifty games for us. 

Saunders ( and Goddard) was playing in the top tier for us, Kitson never did. 

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Saunders ( and Goddard) was playing in the top tier for us, Kitson never did. 

That’s right Deano did - and we were relegated in 20th place 10 points adrift with him in the side…?

31 minutes ago, Monty said:

Saunders and Goddard played all of their games in the top tier. Except for Gabbiadini's 5 starts and 9 substitute appearances in the Premier League with no goals scored, he and Kitson spent their Derby careers in the second tier. Saunders and Goddard's contribution in the top tier was top quality and when both left we made big profits on the transfer fees, although Robert Maxwell trousered the money received from Liverpool for Saunders.

Mick Harford was good, although he intentionally headed an own goal past Peter Shilton in the last minute against his old club Luton to save them from relegation to the Second Division. He admitted he'd done it on purpose after he retired.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

3 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Billy Davies signed Bob Malcolm. The worst Jim signing for me was the Australian left back, Con Blatsis - worse even than Mikel Beck. He played the first two games of 2001-02 against Southampton at home and Newcastle away and that was it - he was straight out the door. Hopeless.

I couldn’t agree more. I questioned whether he had ever played football before. I am not convinced he had. I wonder what he did in pre-season because he was absolute dross. 

27 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I couldn’t agree more. I questioned whether he had ever played football before. I am not convinced he had. I wonder what he did in pre-season because he was absolute dross. 

I was told he was signed on the evidence of a video tape and returned to Australia a millionaire