The Spotted Horse

oldtimeram

We always met in the late60s/70s at the Vine in Whitaker street. (Now long gone)The landlord liked a drink or three and I can remember going there once when he had a badly bruised and bloodied face. He had fallen down the steps to the basement.

nice memories of old friends who I have totally lost touch with alas.

102DBD54-48EF-45B0-BC1B-4BB066C4D3C6.png

Edited by Boycie
Removed pics posted in error

25 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

We always met in the late60s/70s at the Vine in Whitaker street. (Now long gone)The landlord liked a drink or three and I can remember going there once when he had a badly bruised and bloodied face. He had fallen down the steps to the basement.

nice memories of old friends who I have totally lost touch with alas.

03C0D60A-238B-4DCA-AB1D-854765FAA58F.png

Great pre and apres match boozer in the BBG days 

Edited by Boycie

5 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

The Spotted Horse was one of the haunts of Boker Wright and Winnie Austin, Boker used to say "Gi us 10p kid" when you went past him, Boker and Winnie were alway drunk and in the middle of an argument\shouting match.

I used buy Bocker a drink every now and again.  He was often outside the White Horse in the Morledge.

He must have liked pubs with the name Horse

19 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

I used buy Bocker a drink every now and again.  He was often outside the White Horse in the Morledge.

Often to be seen smashed on the Derby bus station benches after a session 

On 29/01/2023 at 14:55, oldtimeram said:

There used to be other "odd" characters in Derby such as  Pidgeon Percy, he liked and fed the pidgeons and Puffin Billy, he thought he was a stream train. 

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

If my memory serves me correct the pubs for a young bloke to avoid were the Green Lane House and The Rising Sun ( unless you were batting for the other side ). 

Those were the ones by reputation Reg. I don't remember the Buck ever being a gay-friendly pub - it was just an "old man's" pub in my recollection, very basic typical Marstons, like the Shakespeare before the Thompsons took it over. 

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Those were the ones by reputation Reg. I don't remember the Buck ever being a gay-friendly pub - it was just an "old man's" pub in my recollection, very basic typical Marstons, like the Shakespeare before the Thompsons took it over. 

Yes the Buck for the Merry Monk Mild and Barley Wine drinkers. My first job after leaving School as a 16 year old was at Hunters on Babington Lane. Me and another lad went for a dinner time drink at the Green Lane house and it took us a while to cotton on why everyone in the pub was trying to buy us drinks ! The moustache’s and cravats should have been the clue. Yikes.