The Spotted Horse

oldtimeram

Just now, Reggie Greenwood said:

Yes the Buck for the Merry Monk Mild and Barley Wine drinkers. My first job after leaving School as a 16 year old was at Hunters on Babington Lane. Me and another lad went for a dinner time drink at the Green Lane house and it took us a while to cotton on why everyone in the pub was trying to buy us drinks ! The moustache’s and cravats should have been the clue. Yikes. 

I was warned to stay well away from the place by older mates, so I never went in. I was also told that back when the Tudor Room at the Bell was 'men only' it was also considered to be a gay hangout, but I can't imagine that it was in the same category as the GLH. 

16 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Yes the Buck for the Merry Monk Mild and Barley Wine drinkers. My first job after leaving School as a 16 year old was at Hunters on Babington Lane. Me and another lad went for a dinner time drink at the Green Lane house and it took us a while to cotton on why everyone in the pub was trying to buy us drinks ! The moustache’s and cravats should have been the clue. Yikes. 

Maybe before going in you should have dumped the cravat and rubbed off the bumfluff under your snout?

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

Those were the ones by reputation Reg. I don't remember the Buck ever being a gay-friendly pub - it was just an "old man's" pub in my recollection, very basic typical Marstons, like the Shakespeare before the Thompsons took it over. 

An old Sunday football acquaintance(Coronation 81 FC)Steve surname Hughes if I recall was the landlord back in the 90s early 00s, Busy boozer where one forest fan Sharrock one night decided to take the pub on his own...the daft sod, Also was marched off the City ground pitch dressed up as a clown by Brian Cloughimage.thumb.png.b833539220cd2139b8d491c29a9ffa7b.png , Sharrock later died of a drug overdose in Barcelona

The Buck was never a gay boozer, Now the Crown on Curzon street certainly was/is 

Edited by The Last Post

On 31/01/2023 at 07:37, Reggie Greenwood said:

If my memory serves me correct the pubs for a young bloke to avoid were the Green Lane House and The Rising Sun ( unless you were batting for the other side ). 

And the Tiger Vaults. Went in there as a callow 16 year old in the mid 70s. Left so fast it were 1972 when I got outside.