OBE...RIP?

sage

48 minutes ago, sage said:

As we don't have an empire anymore, why do we still refer to them in national awards?

Personally I'd replace Empire with Excellence.

Not being 'woke', I just think it's an outdated and irrelevant to refer to it.

Personally I don’t care what they call it and it can retain its current name. I just wish they’d stop making awards for simply doing your job. That’s what makes them irrelevant as far as I’m concerned. In my opinion, they should only be given out for unpaid services to the community or charity.

Nothing against her personally but I have a relative who received an award (not sure which one) because she was heavily involved in Coventry’s city of culture year. Well so she should have been. It was her job for which I expect she was well paid.

Same with the phrase “devoted their lives to……”.

No they haven’t. They have just pursued their chosen career.

Edited by Tamworthram

12 hours ago, sage said:

As we don't have an empire anymore, why do we still refer to them in national awards?

Personally I'd replace Empire with Excellence.

Not being 'woke', I just think it's an outdated and irrelevant to refer to it.

I would scrap the awards all together, never take any notice of who gets which award anyway.

Edited by cstand

25 minutes ago, cstand said:

I would scrap the awards all together, never take any notice of who gets which award anyway.

Unless you won one yourself. You’d care then. I’d be super proud if I won an OBE. It’s definitely on my bucket list. 

Something to add after my name, after NVQ and VR. 

Edited by TigerTedd

Totally agree its 'for doing something over and above'..

So - Ian Botham for his fund raising, Bob Gelfof the same, or someone like David Attenborough for excellence beyond belief in his field.... but when cricketers win awards for winning the Ashes or no doubt the Lionesses get an award it is simply for (as Roy Keane says) 'doing your job'.