Commonwealth Games

Eddie

Did couple of the Rugby Sevens sessions and also the Bowls at the weekend. Honestly, not super impressed. This was a great opportunity to celebrate the Commonwealth and all it offers, and make it all a bit party and fun. What do you get for food options? Loaded fries, burgers and fish and chips. I've been to a few 7's events and they are all a bit of a party, bands, food, fun. This one was really flat and had zero thought on how to make the visit about more than the sport.

Bowls was much the same, and whoever thought anyone was going to pay £6 for a 99 ice cream must have been reading a bit too much into those food inflation reports. Again, big missed chance and same old, same old options for food and drink.

Shame!

3 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Did couple of the Rugby Sevens sessions and also the Bowls at the weekend. Honestly, not super impressed. This was a great opportunity to celebrate the Commonwealth and all it offers, and make it all a bit party and fun. What do you get for food options? Loaded fries, burgers and fish and chips. I've been to a few 7's events and they are all a bit of a party, bands, food, fun. This one was really flat and had zero thought on how to make the visit about more than the sport.

Bowls was much the same, and whoever thought anyone was going to pay £6 for a 99 ice cream must have been reading a bit too much into those food inflation reports. Again, big missed chance and same old, same old options for food and drink.

Shame!

Agree. We were at Alexander Stadium this morning for the athletics.  Infrastructure was terrible, massive queues for food outlets, nowhere to buy a hot drink unless you waited in queue alongside the burger buyers. £8 for a bacon cob and £17 for chicken strips and chips.

And the toilets, all temporary facilities, filthy and very long queues.

They have put up two massive temporary stands but seemingly not put in place the Infrastructure to make them work. We were totally exposed to the elements,  first it threw it down and then the sun came out and baked us. Nowhere to get into shade and NOWHERE to sit down except your seat.

I'm a veteran of Olympics, World Championships and two Commonwealth games and this is my worst experience to date.

We are going again on Sunday - not particularly looking forward to it! 

For balance,  we were at the athletics again this evening. Sat in the stands on the back straight. Was a much better experience,  great facilities and a fantastic evening's entertainment. 

The roar when the English relay women won the gold medal was louder than anything I ever heard at a football match. ? Such a shame they were disqualified. 

20220807_212248.jpg

What bugs me about the medals (any games meeting) is that the swimmers, divers and particularly the gymnasts can win multiple medals during the duration of one meeting, whereas in athletics, even a superstar like Bolt was only ever likely to win 3. It's not unknown for gymnasts and swimmers to win 5,6 or even 7 medals.

Therefore  (carefully avoiding 'so') why not award medals to the 3 leading athletes in each of the Decthlon/Heptathlon events? I can't see the difference.

22 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

What bugs me about the medals (any games meeting) is that the swimmers, divers and particularly the gymnasts can win multiple medals during the duration of one meeting, whereas in athletics, even a superstar like Bolt was only ever likely to win 3. It's not unknown for gymnasts and swimmers to win 5,6 or even 7 medals.

Therefore  (carefully avoiding 'so') why not award medals to the 3 leading athletes in each of the Decthlon/Heptathlon events? I can't see the difference.

I agree with your main point but this solution would see medal winners in each event who aren't the best at that event. Not sure what the solution would be for decathlon/heptathlon but you could limit all of the competitors to a maximum of 2 or 3 events?. It would stop swimmers winning golds in the 50/100/200/400 in freestyle and then breast stroke etc, plus the relay/medleys etc.

Still not ideal. Maybe there are just too many events that each individual swimmer/gymnast/cyclist could realistically win in certain sports.

Edited by Wolfie